A teachable moment- Napolitano says bomb failing to explode shows “the system worked"

A teachable moment- Napolitano says bomb failing to explode shows “the system worked"

Video:RealClearPolitics

One can make that argument
But-

The guy got a visa and he was on a Watch List
The guy's father told us he was a risk after he got the visa
The guy was stopped by passengers before he could try a 2nd time to send his "crotch" and himself to Allah

I say Thank God nobody was hurt in spite of the system not working

That's out of context. Clearly, when she said the system works, she was talking about the speed of notification of the danger to other planes and the nature of the threat.

Don't you guys ever tell the truth? Ever?:booze:

Are you fuckin' kidding me, “the system worked"? What a stupid bitch, seriously.
If not for this assholes incompetence and/or the bomb makers, that plane and all aboard, and potentially more have a very different outcome.
I'd say the only one who deserves a pat on the back is the fella that subdued him and put the fire out, and the rest of the involved passengers and flight crew.

I don't give a fuck who's fault it is, right now, but a full investigation of this major breach needs to be undertaken. This type of thing can not be allowed to happen.

Once again. Kudo's to the passengers and flight crew. They saved the day. Not Nepalitano and her tsa.

I think the days of passengers just sitting and allowing things to happen on planes is long over. Now they will react and go after these would be terrorists. Kudo's to them all and I hope they beat the dogshit out of all of em.

I agree

Gone are the pre 911 days where passengers would sit passive as terrorists try to take over a plane.

The 911 terrorists by thinking "outside the box" were able to carry out their deadly plan.
Of course, it was a one shot deal because passengers will no longer "just assume" that the plane is going to be taken somewhere or prisoners somewhere are going to be released in exchange.

And that's the way it HAS to be.

Damn right. By all rights that plane should have blown up, the bomb and bomber were there, and the bomb was almost twice the size of the shoe bomb. Napolitano and her system failed miserably.

Why was this piece of shit allowed on a plane bound for the US? Even the Brits pulled his visa.

I hear you!

If the “system” had “worked,” U.S. consular officials would have never granted this guy a visa in the first place:
— a rootless, young, single male —

Tip: National Review

Department visa regulation 214(b):
That law requires an applicant to show strong roots in his home country — such as a house, a spouse, and/or employment — in order to prove that he would be likely to return home when his visa expired.

Young, single, unemployed men are the people most often refused visas under 214(b) (when it is actually enforced) for the very reasons that al Qaeda recruits them so heavily: They are shiftless and have very little to stop them from packing up and moving to a new country. There’s also, sadly, very little to prevent them from committing terrorist attacks.

By that definition I should be denied a visa. That's retarded.

As far as I'm concerned, you made our point.

What she actually said.
And one thing I’d like to point out is that the system worked. Everybody played an important role here. The passengers and crew of the flight took appropriate action. Within literally an hour to 90 minutes of the incident occurring, all 128 flights in the air had been notified to take some special measures in light of what had occurred on the Northwest Airlines flight. We instituted new measures on the ground and at screening areas, both here in the United States and in Europe, where this flight originated.
So the whole process of making sure that we respond properly, correctly and effectively went very smoothly.
She was talking about the system working AFTER the fuckwad tried to blow up the plane.

I don't remember anyone blaming Homeland Security for the shoe bomber...partisan hacks.

Ravi I think the point being put forth is that in fact the system failed because the explosives were not detected at the point where the perp went through the screening process. The flight originated in Amsterdam and I know for a fact that airport screening procedures for flights departing for the U.S.A. are supposed to screen passengers IAW TSA screening procedures. Now the question that we should be asking is why weren't the high grade, nitrate based, military explosives detected?

and there was NO Homeland Security Department when Reid tried and failed to blow up that plane in 2001. That's probably why you didn't hear anything.

Last edited:

But-

The guy was stopped by passengers before he could try a 2nd time to send his "crotch" and himself to Allah

That's out of context. Clearly, when she said the system works, she was talking about the speed of notification of the danger to other planes and the nature of the threat.

Don't you guys ever stop making excuses for the total incompetence of the bumbling fools we have running this country? The man should have never made it to the plane. Your heroes are idiots.

Last edited:
Not at all- When you issue a visa, you want the person to return back their to home country. Single people with no job or family ties, it makes sense to deny them visas

Except that a significant percentage of tourist dollars come from the demographic that you claim should always be denied a visa.

Wow...I had no idea there were millions of tourists from Albania and Myannmar....:cuckoo:

True plus

It depends on the country
We do have visa waiver agreements with about 35 countries where one only needs to get on a plane, fly to the US and have a Customs Officer clear you.

Obviously, it is most of the Western countries and countries where economic conditions and living conditions indicate that one would most likely return

The US is not "hurting" for tourist dollars from countries like Nigeria

What she actually said.
And one thing I’d like to point out is that the system worked. Everybody played an important role here. The passengers and crew of the flight took appropriate action. Within literally an hour to 90 minutes of the incident occurring, all 128 flights in the air had been notified to take some special measures in light of what had occurred on the Northwest Airlines flight. We instituted new measures on the ground and at screening areas, both here in the United States and in Europe, where this flight originated.
So the whole process of making sure that we respond properly, correctly and effectively went very smoothly.
She was talking about the system working AFTER the fuckwad tried to blow up the plane.

I don't remember anyone blaming Homeland Security for the shoe bomber...partisan hacks.

Ravi I think the point being put forth is that in fact the system failed because the explosives were not detected at the point where the perp went through the screening process. The flight originated in Amsterdam and I know for a fact that airport screening procedures for flights departing for the U.S.A. are supposed to screen passengers IAW TSA screening procedures. Now the question that we should be asking is why weren't the high grade, nitrate based, military explosives detected?

and there was NO Homeland Security Department when Reid tried and failed to blow up that plane in 2001. That's probably why you didn't hear anything.
Again...TSA doesn't screen inbound passengers, the security forces of the foreign countries do. AND some airports cough up the dough for high tech equipment that can detect explosives...some don't.

The only other way around this is to peer down everyone's panties...and good luck with that. Air travel will lose.

What she actually said.She was talking about the system working AFTER the fuckwad tried to blow up the plane.

Again...TSA doesn't screen inbound passengers, the security forces of the foreign countries do. AND some airports cough up the dough for high tech equipment that can detect explosives...some don't.

The only other way around this is to peer down everyone's panties...and good luck with that. Air travel will lose.

Right...TSA personnel DO NOT screen inbound passengers...but the TSA has supplied every single airport around the world with guidelines for screening passengers on flights that are U.S. bound...now whether those countries follow those procedures is an entirely different story as they must comply with their own privacy laws. We are on the same page..just saying it differently.

But-

Liberals- no of course not:eusa_angel:

The op is really addressing the issue of spin on this event.
Here we have, as you have agreed, a complete system failure and the WH wants to say the "the system worked"

Well by that measure, after the towers collapsed and all the poor people died, the system worked as well
:doubt:

Napolitano concedes airline security system failed - Yahoo! News

A day after saying the system worked, Napolitano backtracked, saying her words had been taken out of context.

"Our system did not work in this instance," she said on NBC's "Today" show. "No one is happy or satisfied with that. An extensive review is under way."

She rolled out from under the bus at the last second.

Anytime high grade military explosives are being ignited on a passenger jet trying to land means the system failed. The minute the story broke she should have been asking the question...why did the system fail? Not saying the system worked as it should have AFTER the attempted murder of a couple hundred people and the perp had to be subdued by the passengers.

Just as she was when she occupied the gov office and the AT office here in AZ, Janet is just a brainless tool for the democrap political machine.
Last night someone told her the system didn't reqally work and to change her tune-viola! this morning she changed her tune.
Obama's choice of janet to keep our country safe was made because he needed someone with no brains that he could mico-manage.
Janet was bad for Arizona and she is bad for the USA.
She can't keep her eyes on islamic terrorists because she is simply to obsessed with looking out for her arch-enemies, the over 50 christian white men that served in our military.
Join me in sending messages to the white house demanding her resignation......

Just as she was when she occupied the gov office and the AT office here in AZ, Janet is just a brainless tool for the democrap political machine.
Last night someone told her the system didn't reqally work and to change her tune-viola! this morning she changed her tune.
Obama's choice of janet to keep our country safe was made because he needed someone with no brains that he could mico-manage.
Janet was bad for Arizona and she is bad for the USA.
She can't keep her eyes on islamic terrorists because she is simply to obsessed with looking out for her arch-enemies, the over 50 christian white men that served in our military.
Join me in sending messages to the white house demanding her resignation......

I hear you

She is definitely not the "brightest bulb in the bunch"
Don't forget she is one that said:

that crossing the border illegally “isn’t a crime per se”,

and her boneheaded claim that 9/11 terrorists came in through the Canadian border

"One flight attendant asked him what he had had in his pocket, and he replied, 'Explosive device'"
Now wait a minute. What happened to all those signs in airports everywhere, warning people not to joke about security issues, and that such jokes will be taken seriously? If the plane was already in flight at the time Abdulmutallab said this, the flight attendant should at least have made sure that he was closely watched and guarded for the duration of the flight -- by other passengers if no one else was on hand to do the job.

"Bomber was on US watch list," by Angela Montefinise for the New York Post, December 28 (thanks to Trotsky):

[...] He was read the charges at a hearing, where he appeared smiling in a medical gown and a wheelchair.
Several key details came to light yesterday:

* Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen sewed into Abdulmutallab's underwear a condom filled with three ounces of a nitroglycerin-like compound after he spent a month training with the terror organization, sources told ABC News.

"One flight attendant asked him what he had had in his pocket, and he replied, 'Explosive device,' " according to the Justice Department.

* Abdulmutallab was added to the 550,000 suspects on a watch list kept by the US National Counterterrorism Center in November and had been on government radar for months. Yet there wasn't enough negative information about him to put him on the no-fly list.

* His father, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, a prominent Nigerian banker who retired recently, reportedly contacted the US Embassy there about six months ago to inform authorities about his son's increasingly extreme behavior.

* Michigan Rep. Peter Hoekstra, the senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said he believes Abdulmutallab is linked to radical US-born Yemeni cleric Anwar al-Aulaqi, a mentor to the US Army psychiatrist who gunned down 13 people at Fort Hood, Texas, last month.

* Abdulmutallab -- who boarded a flight in Nigeria to Amsterdam, and then transferred to Northwest Flight 253 to Detroit -- did not go through full-body scans at either airport, and it's unclear how he was screened as a transferring passenger in Amsterdam....

Could it be that sympathetic security officials made sure he got through?

What she actually said.

Here's 1:
Daily Kos: Where's the apology from Tom Ridge?

Plenty more where that came from. Administration (repub or dem) is always blamed as they should be....partisan hack

Fuck DailyKOS DHS didn't exist when Reid tried to blow up that plane...the Administration knew an attack was imminent yet DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DEFEND AMERICANS OTHER THAN KILL SOME GOATS IN YEMEN WITH A CLINTONESQUE CRUISE MISSILE ATTACK. PATHETIC!!!!

Forum List

Back