A Tale of Two Surges

September 11, 2001 - Terrorists hijack four U.S. commercial airliners taking off from various locations in the United States in a coordinated suicide attack. In separate attacks, two of the airliners crash into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, which catch fire and eventually collapse. A third airliner crashes into the Pentagon in Washington, DC, causing extensive damage. The fourth airliner, also believed to be heading towards Washington, DC, crashes outside Shanksville, PA., killing all 45 people on board. Casualty estimates from New York put the possible death toll close to 5,000, while as many as 200 people may have been lost at the Pentagon crash site.

Oct. 12, 2000 - A terrorist bomb damages the destroyer USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, killing 17 sailors and injuring 39.

Aug. 7, 1998 - Terrorist bombs destroy the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. In Nairobi, 12 Americans are among the 291 killed, and over 5,000 are wounded, including 6 Americans. In Dar es Salaam, one U.S. citizen is wounded among the 10 killed and 77 injured.

In response, on August 20 the United States attacked targets in Afghanistan and Sudan with over 75 cruise missiles fired from Navy ships in the Arabian and Red seas. About 60 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired from warships in the Arabian Sea. Most struck six separate targets in a camp near Khost, Afghanistan. Simultaneously, about 20 cruise missiles were fired from U.S. ships in the Red Sea striking a factory in Khartoum, Sudan, which was suspected of producing components for making chemical weapons.

June 21, 1998 - Rocket-propelled grenades explode near the U.S. embassy in Beirut.

July 27, 1996 - A pipe bomb explodes during the Olympic games in Atlanta, killing one person and wounding 111.

June 25, 1996 - A bomb aboard a fuel truck explodes outside a U.S. air force installation in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. 19 U.S. military personnel are killed in the Khubar Towers housing facility, and 515 are wounded, including 240 Americans.

Nov. 13, 1995 - A car-bomb in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia kills seven people, five of them American military and civilian advisers for National Guard training. The "Tigers of the Gulf," "Islamist Movement for Change," and "Fighting Advocates of God" claim responsibility.

April 19, 1995 - A car bomb destroys the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, killing 168 people and wounding over 600.

February 1993 - A bomb in a van explodes in the underground parking garage in New York's World Trade Center, killing six people and wounding 1,042.

Dec. 21, 1988 - A bomb destroys Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. All 259 people aboard the Boeing 747 are killed including 189 Americans, as are 11 people on the ground.

April 1986 - An explosion damages a TWA flight as it prepares to land in Athens, Greece. Four people are killed when they are sucked out of the aircraft.

April 5, 1986 - A bomb destroys the LaBelle discotheque in West Berlin. The disco was known to be frequented by U.S. servicemen. The attack kills one American and one German woman and wounds 150, including 44 Americans

In response, on April 15 the United States retaliated in an operation dubbed ‘El Dorado Canyon.’ Approximately 100 aircraft were launched in direct support of the raid. It was an attack against military targets involving land-based bombers from Great Britain together with carrier-based air strikes from ships in the Gulf of Sidra.

December 1985 - Simultaneous suicide attacks are carried out against U.S. and Israeli check-in desks at Rome and Vienna international airports. 20 people are killed in the two attacks, including four terrorists.

November 1985 - Hijackers aboard an Egyptair flight kill one American. Egyptian commandos later storm the aircraft on the isle of Malta, and 60 people are killed.

October 1985 - Palestinian terrorists hijack the cruise liner Achille Lauro (in response to the Israeli attack on PLO headquarters in Tunisia) Leon Klinghoffer, an elderly, wheelchair-bound American, is killed and thrown overboard.

August 1985 - A car bomb at a U.S. military base in Frankfurt, Germany kills two and injures 20. A U.S. soldier murdered for his identity papers is found a day after the explosion.

June 1985 - A TWA airliner is hijacked over the Mediterranean, the start of a two-week hostage ordeal. The last 39 passengers are eventually released in Damascus after being held in various locations in Beirut.

June 1985 - In San Salvador, El Salvador, 13 people are killed in a machine gun attack at an outdoor café, including four U.S. Marines and two American businessmen.

April 1985 - A bomb explodes in a restaurant near a U.S. air base in Madrid, Spain, killing 18, all Spaniards, and wounding 82, including 15 Americans.

November 1984 - A bomb attack on the U.S. embassy in Bogota, Colombia kills a passer-by. The attack was preceded by death threats against U.S. officials by drug traffickers.

October 1983 - A suicide car bomb attack against the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut kills 241 servicemen. A simultaneous attack on a French base kills 58 paratroopers.

April 1983 - A suicide car bombing against the U.S. embassy in Beirut kills 63, including 17 Americans.

Chronology of Major Terrorist Attacks Against U.S. Targets - CDI Terrorism Project - Center for Defense Information

So you are saying Iraq was responsible?? And these are the reasons you say we invaded and occupied Iraq and costs thousands of our military to die????

No I am not saying that Iraq had a hand in 9/11. I am saying they were a part of the Ideology at war with us. They will fight us there or here.You think by leaving the Jihad is over? You are kidding only yourself.

Or even leaving Astan...these creeps will be wherever we are including HERE...Hell? Just look at what's happened since his highness was immacculated? Domestically? It's been increasing.

No I am not saying that Iraq had a hand in 9/11. I am saying they were a part of the Ideology at war with us. They will fight us there or here.You think by leaving the Jihad is over? You are kidding only yourself.

That's too subtle for his little brain. Try something like "Tastes Great! Less Filling!"

How about this.....

Jihad Man think Everyone not part of Jihad Great Satan. Jihad Man never see Himself in Mirror. Jihad Man want to Chop-Chop everything he see. Jihad Man angry at World, Jihad Man angry At God. Jihad man have too small penis, therefore hate everybody.....

How's that??? ;)

September 11, 2001 - Terrorists hijack four U.S. commercial airliners taking off from various locations in the United States in a coordinated suicide attack. In separate attacks, two of the airliners crash into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, which catch fire and eventually collapse. A third airliner crashes into the Pentagon in Washington, DC, causing extensive damage. The fourth airliner, also believed to be heading towards Washington, DC, crashes outside Shanksville, PA., killing all 45 people on board. Casualty estimates from New York put the possible death toll close to 5,000, while as many as 200 people may have been lost at the Pentagon crash site.

Oct. 12, 2000 - A terrorist bomb damages the destroyer USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, killing 17 sailors and injuring 39.

Aug. 7, 1998 - Terrorist bombs destroy the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. In Nairobi, 12 Americans are among the 291 killed, and over 5,000 are wounded, including 6 Americans. In Dar es Salaam, one U.S. citizen is wounded among the 10 killed and 77 injured.

In response, on August 20 the United States attacked targets in Afghanistan and Sudan with over 75 cruise missiles fired from Navy ships in the Arabian and Red seas. About 60 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired from warships in the Arabian Sea. Most struck six separate targets in a camp near Khost, Afghanistan. Simultaneously, about 20 cruise missiles were fired from U.S. ships in the Red Sea striking a factory in Khartoum, Sudan, which was suspected of producing components for making chemical weapons.

June 21, 1998 - Rocket-propelled grenades explode near the U.S. embassy in Beirut.

July 27, 1996 - A pipe bomb explodes during the Olympic games in Atlanta, killing one person and wounding 111.

June 25, 1996 - A bomb aboard a fuel truck explodes outside a U.S. air force installation in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. 19 U.S. military personnel are killed in the Khubar Towers housing facility, and 515 are wounded, including 240 Americans.

Nov. 13, 1995 - A car-bomb in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia kills seven people, five of them American military and civilian advisers for National Guard training. The "Tigers of the Gulf," "Islamist Movement for Change," and "Fighting Advocates of God" claim responsibility.

April 19, 1995 - A car bomb destroys the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, killing 168 people and wounding over 600.

February 1993 - A bomb in a van explodes in the underground parking garage in New York's World Trade Center, killing six people and wounding 1,042.

Dec. 21, 1988 - A bomb destroys Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. All 259 people aboard the Boeing 747 are killed including 189 Americans, as are 11 people on the ground.

April 1986 - An explosion damages a TWA flight as it prepares to land in Athens, Greece. Four people are killed when they are sucked out of the aircraft.

April 5, 1986 - A bomb destroys the LaBelle discotheque in West Berlin. The disco was known to be frequented by U.S. servicemen. The attack kills one American and one German woman and wounds 150, including 44 Americans

In response, on April 15 the United States retaliated in an operation dubbed ‘El Dorado Canyon.’ Approximately 100 aircraft were launched in direct support of the raid. It was an attack against military targets involving land-based bombers from Great Britain together with carrier-based air strikes from ships in the Gulf of Sidra.

December 1985 - Simultaneous suicide attacks are carried out against U.S. and Israeli check-in desks at Rome and Vienna international airports. 20 people are killed in the two attacks, including four terrorists.

November 1985 - Hijackers aboard an Egyptair flight kill one American. Egyptian commandos later storm the aircraft on the isle of Malta, and 60 people are killed.

October 1985 - Palestinian terrorists hijack the cruise liner Achille Lauro (in response to the Israeli attack on PLO headquarters in Tunisia) Leon Klinghoffer, an elderly, wheelchair-bound American, is killed and thrown overboard.

August 1985 - A car bomb at a U.S. military base in Frankfurt, Germany kills two and injures 20. A U.S. soldier murdered for his identity papers is found a day after the explosion.

June 1985 - A TWA airliner is hijacked over the Mediterranean, the start of a two-week hostage ordeal. The last 39 passengers are eventually released in Damascus after being held in various locations in Beirut.

June 1985 - In San Salvador, El Salvador, 13 people are killed in a machine gun attack at an outdoor café, including four U.S. Marines and two American businessmen.

April 1985 - A bomb explodes in a restaurant near a U.S. air base in Madrid, Spain, killing 18, all Spaniards, and wounding 82, including 15 Americans.

November 1984 - A bomb attack on the U.S. embassy in Bogota, Colombia kills a passer-by. The attack was preceded by death threats against U.S. officials by drug traffickers.

October 1983 - A suicide car bomb attack against the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut kills 241 servicemen. A simultaneous attack on a French base kills 58 paratroopers.

April 1983 - A suicide car bombing against the U.S. embassy in Beirut kills 63, including 17 Americans.

Chronology of Major Terrorist Attacks Against U.S. Targets - CDI Terrorism Project - Center for Defense Information

So you are saying Iraq was responsible?? And these are the reasons you say we invaded and occupied Iraq and costs thousands of our military to die????

That's why you can't win a debate with the right wing. First he says Iraq had no hand in 9/11, but then says Iraq is part of what led to 9/11. See, they didn't have a hand, but they did.

That's why you can't win a debate with the right wing. First he says Iraq had no hand in 9/11, but then says Iraq is part of what led to 9/11. See, they didn't have a hand, but they did.

See. I told you your answer was too subtle for the lefty idiots here to understand.

So why do you support tyhe Democrats, who could have stopped both the Iraq War and the Afghan war but instead continued to fund them both?
You're a fucking hypocrite of mind numbing dimensions. And an incompetent to boot.

And why do you still support Bush and his decision to send our troops off to fight and die FOR NO GOOD REASON?

With Americans like you we don't need enemies.

There were plenty of good reasons.
Why did you vote for Democrats in 2006, 2008, and 2010 when they continued to send Americans into harm's way FOR NO GOOD REASON??
Is it because your union bosses told you Jump and you asked how high?

So you admit that we were in Iraq for NO GOOD REASON.

OK, then why did you support it?

Keep trying to obfuscate around the question. You fail. Admit it.

Nope. YOU'RE the one who failed the troops by supporting needless deaths. You can sure tell that theirs deaths mean nothing to you.

Quit using US troop casualties as talking points, ya big dope.
Please tell us when YOU Have ever supported our troops. I mean the ones not jowl to jowl with you at the union feeding trough.

I served and you didn't, if you need someone to talk to who's 'supported the troops'.

And they accused Kerry of "flip-flopping". :lol:

That was the only point I was trying to make. There really was no reason to send thousands of our military to their deaths. I asked them to give me one and they couldn't.

If I was to ask them about why we went to war with Japan they would rightfully say "Pearl Harbor". The Civil War was the ability of states to leave the union. But there really was no reason to attack Iraq.

Oh they started saying things like "ideology" and what not but what it came down to is they simply couldn't do it. They even posted a list of terrorists attacks but can't tie Iraq with even one of them. Then they said it has been posted over and over but couldn't provide a link, copy and paste, or say it once more. And they REALLY wanted to tie Iraq to 9/11 but didn't dare.

The bottom line is that the Iraq Invasion and Occupation was a monumental blunder. There was NO GOOD REASON to attack, invade and occupy Iraq and no good reason over 4,000 soldiers had to die. And these lovers of George W Bush simply won't admit it.

So you are claiming that Iraq had no part in Muslim hostilities towards the West, or even It's Neighbors, or Israel? You invalidate my claim on the grounds that there is no connection between Iraq and the problems the world faced yesterday or today. Peace loving Iraq was minding It's own business and had no part in what was going on in the world around it? Saddam was not rewarding the families of Suicide either, I suppose? Your argument is beneath you RD. I'm not exactly the spokes person for the Right Wing, either. So you are wrong there too. Why don't you consider working out your confusion before you post?

And why do you still support Bush and his decision to send our troops off to fight and die FOR NO GOOD REASON?

Why did you vote for Democrats in 2006, 2008, and 2010 when they continued to send Americans into harm's way FOR NO GOOD REASON??

We were there for good reason. This may be a shock to you, but Iraq did actually invade a neighbor, did fire missiles into another, and was a threat to other neighbors, and the stability of the region. They harassed occupational under Clinton regularly, or are you in denial about that too? I guess when one starts drinking the kool-aid it's hard to stop.

They vote in Iran, the same as Iraq.

you're joking right ?

Iran elects on national level a head of government (the president), a legislature (the Majlis), and an "Assembly of Experts" (which elects the head of state, the Supreme Leader). Also City and Village Council elections are held every four years throughout the country. The president is elected for a four-year term by the people. The Parliament or Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majlis-e Shura-ye Eslami) has 290 members, elected for a four-year term in multi- and single-seat constituencies. Elections for the Assembly of Experts are held every six years. Mayors will be elected by popular vote for once in 2010. All candidates have to be approved by the Guardian Council.

Elections in Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Iraq:

Among the banned candidates 60% were Sunni Muslims and 40% were Shi'a[63] however all of the banned candidates are members of secular and liberal parties and not a single member of a Sunni or Shi'a religious party was banned.

Iraqi parliamentary election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you see what I mean? Liberals and secular candidates are being banned. Only those acceptable to the clerics. Remember Article II from the Constitution.

In 5 years or less, Iraq will be EXACTLY like Iran. They are racing there now. And the Republicans did it.

I thought I would see a rebuttal from washamericom. Guess not.

i was refering to the counting of the votes, the winner of the election.
with respect to iraq, it's easy for all of you to say it wasn't "justified". in the aftermath of 911, we had to go with what we had. saddam was a monster, and i'm glad he's gone.
i would never be able to "sell" someone else on that concept, i'm glad we invaded and liberated iraq, just as we did for kuwait. there is no point in discussing it further until i'm convinced that you have read the "harmony report". toppling saddam was a firm clinton policy, and the congress and the free world concurred,
the world is a better place without saddam hussein. i don't need to convince anyone of that. it's easy to look backwards in time through pacifist rose colored glasses. our magnificient troops that gave everything, have helped to advance the cause of freedom around the world. they knew what they were getting into when they volunteered for the service. they did not die in vein, anymore than the soldiers of world war two or the american revolution. it's what we do.
if you don't like being part of a people that wish to share liberty, then go live in europe with the people that live free and damn the very protection that we provide. i 'am very proud of my country, and i always have been, for reasons like this.
you all complain that we did the wrong thing, then complain we did something, would have shrieked had we done nothing. you will jump on any bandwagon that rolls by as long as it's convenient for your liberal bent "the world is a lovely peacful place".
saddam and iraq were a ticking time bomb, and so too now is north korea. we did the right thing. we fought for a new world order, and succeeded.

Last edited:

That was the only point I was trying to make. There really was no reason to send thousands of our military to their deaths. I asked them to give me one and they couldn't.

If I was to ask them about why we went to war with Japan they would rightfully say "Pearl Harbor". The Civil War was the ability of states to leave the union. But there really was no reason to attack Iraq.

Oh they started saying things like "ideology" and what not but what it came down to is they simply couldn't do it. They even posted a list of terrorists attacks but can't tie Iraq with even one of them. Then they said it has been posted over and over but couldn't provide a link, copy and paste, or say it once more. And they REALLY wanted to tie Iraq to 9/11 but didn't dare.

The bottom line is that the Iraq Invasion and Occupation was a monumental blunder. There was NO GOOD REASON to attack, invade and occupy Iraq and no good reason over 4,000 soldiers had to die. And these lovers of George W Bush simply won't admit it.

Actually I agree that the timing of the invasion was way off. in fact, it is possible, that it may never have happened, had Bush dealt with what he already had on his plate. Who knows what Saddam would have done over time, one way or the other? I do believe that because of anticipated decent here, the invasion was premature. Let me translate that, so that even you can understand, because of people like you, the invasion was rushed. Bush was CIC at the time, the decision was his to make, Congress supported it, we were misinformed, so was pretty much everybody. Coulda-woulda-shoulda.

You clearly have reading comprehension issues. I wrote "there were plenty of good reasons" which you interpret as "there were no good reasons."
Perhaps this explains your conviction on the pedophilia charge.

Actually I agree that the timing of the invasion was way off. in fact, it is possible, that it may never have happened, had Bush dealt with what he already had on his plate. Who knows what Saddam would have done over time, one way or the other? I do believe that because of anticipated decent here, the invasion was premature. Let me translate that, so that even you can understand, because of people like you, the invasion was rushed. Bush was CIC at the time, the decision was his to make, Congress supported it, we were misinformed, so was pretty much everybody. Coulda-woulda-shoulda.

The U.S. spent something like 18 months trying everything in the world to get Saddam to comply. He refused. He dithered. He dickered. He promised and then went back. He did pretty much what the Iranians have been doing to Obama. So calling it "premature" is absurd.

The U.S. spent something like 18 months trying everything in the world to get Saddam to comply. He refused. He dithered. He dickered. He promised and then went back. He did pretty much what the Iranians have been doing to Obama. So calling it "premature" is absurd.

And at the time we were prepaing to invade Saddam was in full compliance and the weapons inspectors were practically begging Bush to hold off.

So honestly.....Do you think

A) That using military force should be used only as a last resort?

and

B) Did Bush have any other choice other than to invade?

You clearly have reading comprehension issues. I wrote "there were plenty of good reasons" which you interpret as "there were no good reasons."

Then why don't you support invading North Korea for the same reasons, since you believe it was necessary to have invaded Iraq:?

We were there for good reason. This may be a shock to you, but Iraq did actually invade a neighbor, did fire missiles into another, and was a threat to other neighbors, and the stability of the region. They harassed occupational under Clinton regularly, or are you in denial about that too? I guess when one starts drinking the kool-aid it's hard to stop.

Was it NECESSARY to invade Iraq? That is the question here.

How long have we been doing the same with North Korea? You supported the unnecessary invasion of Iraq, why won't you support the unnecessary invasion of North Korea?

Then why don't you support invading North Korea for the same reasons, since you believe it was necessary to have invaded Iraq:?

Because that's comparing apples to elephants.
At least you admit to the pedophilia conviction.

No it isn't.

Either war with North Korea is necessary or it isn't. All the conditions that applied to Iraq, which you insist was a necessary war, apply to Korea.

No it isn't.

Either war with North Korea is necessary or it isn't. All the conditions that applied to Iraq, which you insist was a necessary war, apply to Korea.

Really? Which country has Korea invaded?

Forum List

Back