A Tale of Two Cows

I was going to say that the governor should tell Pauvre to also give up many pleasures, but he already got rid of his cow.

Naughty, naughty. :) But yes, alas, Pauvre did away with his cow. Now he wants one most especially because Riche has so many.

If you are the governor, what do you rule?

In this case I will object if any attempt to rewrite the problem, add to it, or take away any facts as stated. We just got company so I'll be away from the computer for a bit, but I hope at least some will take a stab at answering the question as stated.

I KNEW this was gonig to be a snipe hunt.

Snipe hunt? No. I've been on a snipe hunt. This isn't that.

I was going to say that the governor should tell Pauvre to also give up many pleasures, but he already got rid of his cow.

Naughty, naughty. :) But yes, alas, Pauvre did away with his cow. Now he wants one most especially because Riche has so many.

If you are the governor, what do you rule?

I'd tell him to get off his ass and go work for his buddy with all the cows.

Yes, very good advice Mr. H, but if you are governor and a fair man, you should provide a rationale for why Pauvre should work for his cow, and why he won't make Riche give him a cow.

For the good of society, better herd management is the greater good. Mismanagement is its own reward and the fate of the cows in that herd already sealed.

No. But Riche should do what any human being should do and if his neighbor is starving, give him something to eat, etc.

Sooooo, instead of a tale of two cows we now have a tale of multiple USMB members who can't answer a simple question.
icon14.gif

No. But Riche should do what any human being should do and if his neighbor is starving, give him something to eat, etc.

But the question is not what we are morally motivated to do because we feel it is the 'right thing' or because of whatever compassion we feel for our neighbor. Such is a voluntary act and fully within our power to do or not as we choose.

The question is whether the govenor can require Riche to give a cow or cows to Pauvre or take Riche's cows and transfer them to Pauvre.

If you are the governor with the ability to do that, would you? And what rationale would you use to justify it?

Edit: Noting that Fuelrod did say "no" which I presumes that if he was governor he would not take Riche's cows nor require Riche to give a cow or cows to Pouvre. So Kudos.

We now have I think three people who have answered the question though none have yet provided a rationale for their answers.

Last edited:
The governor does nothing for Pauvre beyond looking at him with a blank stare.

But if Riche decides to assist Pauvre by donating one of his cows, that is a fine gesture on his part being the soul of charity. If Pauvre eats this one too, and asks for another one Riche should tell the moron to sod off and try raising chickens instead.

Last edited:
Disclaimer. The example here is fictitious and any comparison to any USMB member is entirely unintentional.

Riche started out with one cow. He gave up many pleasures and worked long hours to nurture, groom, feed, care for, and breed the cow and he did everything honorably necessary to one day own a herd of hundreds of fine cows.

Pauvre started out with one cow. Pauvre enjoyed life to the fullest and the cow was something of an inconvenience to his chosen lifestyle So he butchered his cow to provide a feast for his friends and drink and make merry. But the meat and the gratitude of his friends would not last forever and one day he was poor and dissatisfied.

And he noticed that Riche had many cows while he had none. He demanded that the governor give him some of Riche's cows as it was unfair that Riche had so many while he had none.

What gives Pauve the right to any of Riche’s cows?

How should the governor respond to Pauvre’s demand?

Paurve has no right to Riche's cows.

The governor should tell Paurve to get a job helping Riche tend to his cows.

Riche - because he's a nice guy - might then reward Paurve with a cow.

That's BAD BBD. Bad. Bad. BAD. :)

So if you're the governor, does Pauvre get a cow?

In "The Hamlet," by Faulkner, Ike Snopes sneaks down to the pond early every morning to surreptitiously watch the love of his life bathe- naked- until he finally gets up the nerve to make his move.
Only later do we learn that his 'love' is a cow.....

...my question: for what purpose does Pauvre covet the cow?

Disclaimer. The example here is fictitious and any comparison to any USMB member is entirely unintentional.

Riche started out with one cow. He gave up many pleasures and worked long hours to nurture, groom, feed, care for, and breed the cow and he did everything honorably necessary to one day own a herd of hundreds of fine cows.

Pauvre started out with one cow. Pauvre enjoyed life to the fullest and the cow was something of an inconvenience to his chosen lifestyle So he butchered his cow to provide a feast for his friends and drink and make merry. But the meat and the gratitude of his friends would not last forever and one day he was poor and dissatisfied.

And he noticed that Riche had many cows while he had none. He demanded that the governor give him some of Riche's cows as it was unfair that Riche had so many while he had none.

You say that Pauvre has no right to Riche's cows.

But you use the more ambiguous 'should' in the case of the Governor rather than a more definitive statement that the Governor does or does not have the right to take Riche's cow or cows to give to Pauvre.

So could you elaborate a bit more here on a rationale for the Governor's policy?

Mr. Foxfyre and I must now leave for a bit to lead a trip to the Planetarium and lunch. Back early afternoon.

But the question is not what we are morally motivated to do because we feel it is the 'right thing' or because of whatever compassion we feel for our neighbor. Such is a voluntary act and fully within our power to do or not as we choose.

The question is whether the govenor can require Riche to give a cow or cows to Pauvre or take Riche's cows and transfer them to Pauvre.

If you are the governor with the ability to do that, would you? And what rationale would you use to justify it?

Edit: Noting that Fuelrod did say "no" which I presumes that if he was governor he would not take Riche's cows nor require Riche to give a cow or cows to Pouvre. So Kudos.

We now have I think three people who have answered the question though none have yet provided a rationale for their answers.

I can go into more detail I suppose.
Call this a Christian nation or not but we are a nation of Faith. Faith without works is nothing.
Just as the Government can not legislate moralty it can not legislate compassion.

That's BAD BBD. Bad. Bad. BAD. :)

So if you're the governor, does Pauvre get a cow?

In "The Hamlet," by Faulkner, Ike Snopes sneaks down to the pond early every morning to surreptitiously watch the love of his life bathe- naked- until he finally gets up the nerve to make his move.
Only later do we learn that his 'love' is a cow.....

...my question: for what purpose does Pauvre covet the cow?

That story is perverted. Cows are filthy animals and never bathe. ;)

You say that Pauvre has no right to Riche's cows.

But you use the more ambiguous 'should' in the case of the Governor rather than a more definitive statement that the Governor does or does not have the right to take Riche's cow or cows to give to Pauvre.

So could you elaborate a bit more here on a rationale for the Governor's policy?

It is not the role of the Governor to take from one person to give to another who has, through their own selfish behavior, screwed their life up.

Forum List

Back