A Surge In USMB Membership?

fat-cat.jpg

For a few years, I was a member of a paid site. The folks who occupied the message boards seemed to think that they themselves controlled how people posted. If you didn't 'fit in', they did everything in their power to drive you away. These particular individuals had been on the site since the foundation was poured. Many used their post count to try and intimidate newbies. It was pretty pathetic. I don't see that happening here, which in my opinion is a good thing.

No, here the post count doesn't mean as much as the REPCOUNT. The RepWhore clique artificially inflate each other's Rep in order to use it against people they disagree with or war with. A higher RepCount, means your NegRep has a more lethal punch to it.

Pretty much the same premise though. I don't give a shit about Rep. It means nothing. It does not bestow magical powers upon the bearer, and Mods here are not God (IMHO).

I speak my mind and if the reader doesn't like my opinion, they can just skip right over it. That means Mods too. Even EMUs.

What was really sad, was a couple of the long-time residents got the boot for bad behavior. One in particular couldn't handle it. He honestly didn't know what to do with his day if he couldn't log on to the website to post.

If I logged back in there, I imagine many, if not all of the same people are there, posting the same crap they always do. Thinking they are members of some elite board. Ha! They're living in a bubble over there.

Meh. I used to be a regular at a board where I had 30k posts and several years invested. Got the boot by a Mod with a bullet in her pocket with my name on it.

Que cera cera. WHAT EVER.

If I ever become so "addicted" to a message board that I can't handle my real life, then I need serious help and would seek it.

It's all for play folks....it's Al Gore's Wild Wild West here....and it don't mean a thing!

I'll never meet any of the assholes I bump into here, and they won't meet me in real life.

Works for me! :D

I am a newcomer to the site and so far I love it.... I am a member of alot of offroading forums and they dont like political stuff on them (even in off topic portion) so I need this site as an outlet for my point of view. Thanks USMB, and I hope to be a contributin member here for a long while....

BTW, how is this site paid for, and is there a way to contribute some cash towards it?

Your friendly neighborhood mod says:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/annou...usmb-now-offering-supporting-memberships.html

Exhibit A.

The problem was a group of members who formed a clique. Being there for so long, they felt the boards were theirs to police. If you joined and you agreed with their opinions and views, you were liked. If not, well things didn't go as smoothly. Too many good posters left because of the childish bullshit that took place over there. I don't see that here on this board. Thank God.

And some things never change....even when the board does! ;)

I know you did. :)

So, do you have a lot of bannings here?
I've been witness to the temporary banning of a couple of members.

At the site I referred to earlier, the moderators ( website staff ) stayed behind the scenes. One would see posts from them only in response to a question or when there was an issue. Here, the mods actively participate in discussions.

The problem was a group of members who formed a clique. Being there for so long, they felt the boards were theirs to police. If you joined and you agreed with their opinions and views, you were liked. If not, well things didn't go as smoothly. Too many good posters left because of the childish bullshit that took place over there. I don't see that here on this board. Thank God.

Yes, I've seen similar at some sites. I was at a religious site where Mods stayed behind the scenes. But I figured out eventually that they had alternate egos for posting on the boards. I even PM'd one of them and he admitted it. I would see him go at it in a debate, he was a rather zealous know it all, get the last word in, then come in his Mod identity and either scold his opponent or close the thread. It was utterly disillusioning.

I am a newcomer to the site and so far I love it.... I am a member of alot of offroading forums and they dont like political stuff on them (even in off topic portion) so I need this site as an outlet for my point of view. Thanks USMB, and I hope to be a contributin member here for a long while....

BTW, how is this site paid for, and is there a way to contribute some cash towards it?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/annou...usmb-now-offering-supporting-memberships.html

Done...!

Thanks a bunch
:cool:

I would send money, but I don't like paypal and refuse to use it.

paypal has worked great for me for quite some time.

Just put the amount you need to in it, and let it do its work.

I do understand the reluctance however, but I had'nt experienced any probs yet.

Just dont tell them
:eusa_shhh:

I would send money, but I don't like paypal and refuse to use it.

PM Gunny...ask for the PO Box address...send a check. That worked for me. (I think I need to do it again.)

Forum List

Back