A Rogue Supreme Court

The 14th amendment deals exclusively with ex slaves and their children. Period. Corrupt leftist trash.
really? where do you see that in the 14th amendment?
What do you mean where do I see it? What in the world do you think the 14th amendment deals with? If you don't know the intent of the 14th amendment you shouldn't even ask that question.
no, i'm asking you to quote the part of the 14th amendment that makes you believe it exclusively deals with former slaves and their children.
i'll wait.
The 14th amendment was passed to deal with the ex slaves and their children. Period.
you can keep stating that but it won't make it true. i'm asking you to tell me what part of the 14th amendment text makes you believe that.
here's the 14th amendment. you may notice that the word 'slave' does not appear anywhere
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
The 14th amendment deals exclusively with ex slaves and their children. Period. Corrupt leftist trash.
What do you mean where do I see it? What in the world do you think the 14th amendment deals with? If you don't know the intent of the 14th amendment you shouldn't even ask that question.
no, i'm asking you to quote the part of the 14th amendment that makes you believe it exclusively deals with former slaves and their children.
i'll wait.
The 14th amendment was passed to deal with the ex slaves and their children. Period.
you can keep stating that but it won't make it true. i'm asking you to tell me what part of the 14th amendment text makes you believe that.
here's the 14th amendment. you may notice that the word 'slave' does not appear anywhere
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Why was the 14th amendment passed?

i'll wait.

i'll wait.

i think it's pretty clear. equal protection, citizenship, debt, and representation issues.
why do you think it deals solely with former slaves and their children?

i'll wait.

i'll wait.

i think it's pretty clear. equal protection, citizenship, debt, and representation issues.
Because that's the purpose of the 14th amendment. That's why I believe it deals with ex slaves and their children.

i'll wait.

i'll wait.

Because that's the purpose of the 14th amendment. That's why I believe it deals with ex slaves and their children.
That's circular. Try again.
the word 'slave' is nowhere to be found in the amendment . Why is that?

The 14th amendment dealt exclusively with ex slaves and their children. Period.
The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution - Fourteenth Amendment - anchor babies and birthright citizenship - interpretations and misinterpretations - US Constitution

The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution - Fourteenth Amendment - anchor babies and birthright citizenship - interpretations and misinterpretations - US Constitution
You keep saying that but it doesn't make it true. What do you see in the 14th amendment that causes you to believe the scope was limited to former slaves and their children?

You keep saying that but it doesn't make it true. What do you see in the 14th amendment that causes you to believe the scope was limited to former slaves and their children?

Read the link I provided.

Did i miss any words in the 14th amendment that are included in your link? I'm asking you what part of the 14th amendment limits it to just slaves and their children

Wrong.

The 14th Amendment refers to all persons, regardless of race, nationality, or immigration status.

The link you cited is devoid of merit, as it's from an anti-immigration blog that willfully misrepresents the original intent of the Amendment and its subsequent case law.

Did i miss any words in the 14th amendment that are included in your link? I'm asking you what part of the 14th amendment limits it to just slaves and their children

The intent. The purpose of the 14th amendment. How about I take something in the Constitution and twist it to fit my agenda?

Wrong.

The 14th Amendment refers to all persons, regardless of race, nationality, or immigration status.

The link you cited is devoid of merit, as it's from an anti-immigration blog that willfully misrepresents the original intent of the Amendment and its subsequent case law.
Nope. The intent of the authors of the 14th amendment was dealing with former slaves and their children. It was never meant to give automatic citizenship to children born here of illegal immigrants. Absurd. I'm against illegal immigration. Why do you support illegal immigrantion?

The intent. The purpose of the 14th amendment. How about I take something in the Constitution and twist it to fit my agenda?
ah. so the intent is there, supposedly. do you have anything in the 14th amendment that shows such a limitation? does the word 'all' suddenly mean 'slaves and children of former slaves' now?

ah. so the intent is there, supposedly. do you have anything in the 14th amendment that shows such a limitation? does the word 'all' suddenly mean 'slaves and children of former slaves' now?
The author of the amendment and intent is easy to find. You have the internet.

1. To protect all born in the US, subject to US jurisdiction, as citizens in their liberties from abuse by the various states.
2. To assure equitable representation.
3. To punish Confederate officers or officials.
4. To protect the validity of the public debt.

This is not hard, Sally 1775.

by all means, quote me something by 'the author' that makes you believe that the amendment was limited in some way to just slaves.
i'll wait.

In this you are correct...

From John Bingham, principal author of the 14th...

"The question is, simply, whether you will give by this amendment to the people of the United States the power, by legislative enactment, to punish officials of the States for violation of the oaths enjoined upon them by their Constitution? That is the question, and the whole question. The adoption of the proposed amendment will take from the States no rights that belong to the States. They elect their Legislatures; they enact their laws for the punishment of crimes against life, liberty, or property; but in the event of the adoption of this amendment, if they conspire together to enact laws refusing equal protection to life, liberty, or property, the Congress is thereby vested with power to hold them to answer before the bar of the national courts for the violation of their oaths and of the rights of their fellow-men. Why should it not be so? That is the question. Why should it not be so? Is the bill of rights to stand in our Constitution hereafter, as in the past five years within eleven States a mere dead letter? It is absolutely essential to the safety of the people that it should be enforced.

Mr. Speaker, it appears to me that this very provision of the bill of rights brought in question this day, upon trial before this House, more than any other provision of the Constitution, makes that unity of government which constitutes us one people, by which and through which American nationality came to be, and only by the enforcement of which can American nationality to continue to be.

The imperishable words of Washington out to be in the minds of all of us touching this great question whether the unity of the Government shall be enforced hereafter by just penal enactments when the Legislatures of States refuse to do their duty or keep inviolate their oath. Washington, speaking to you and to me and to the millions who are to come after use says:

“The unity of the Government, which constitutes you one people is the main pillar in the edifee of your independence the support of your tranquility at home, your peace abroad, of your safety, of your prosperity, of that very liberty which you so highly prize.”

Is it not essential to the unity of the people that the citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States? Is it not essential to the unity of the Government and the unity of the people that all persons, whether citizens or strangers, within this land, shall have equal protection in every State in this Union in the rights of life, and liberty and property?

<<SNIP>>

What more could have been added to that instrument to secure the enforcement of these provisions of the bill of rights in every State, other than the additional grant of power which we ask this day? Nothing at all. And I am perfectly confident that that grant of power would have been there but for the fact that its insertion in the Constitution would have been utterly incompatible with the existence of slavery in any State; for although slaves might not have been admitted to be citizens they must have been admitted to be persons. This is the only reason why it was not there."

A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875

Congressional Globe, House of Representatives, 39th Congress, 1st Session, 1090

“The nation cannot be without that Constitution, which made us “one people;” the nation cannot be without the State governments to localize and enforce the rights of the people under the Constitution. No right reserved by the Constitution to the States should be impaired, no right vested by it in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or officer thereof, should be challenged or violated. “Generalized power, decentralized administration,” express the whole philosophy of the American system. You say it is centralized power to restrain by law unlawful combinations in States against the Constitution and citizens of the United States, to enforce the Constitution and the rights of United States citizens by national law, and to disperse by force, if need be, combinations to powerful to be overcome by judicial process, engaged in trampling under foot the life and liberty, or destroying the power of the citizen.

The people of the United States are entitled to have their rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution of the United States, protected by national law.”

<<SNIP>>

“Mr. Speaker, this House may safely follow the example of the makers of the Constitution and the builders of the Republic, by passing laws for enforcing all the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, as guarantied by the amended Constitution. Do gentlemen say that by so legislating we would strike down the rights of the State? God forbid. I believe our dual system of government essential to our national existence. That Constitution, which Washington so aptly said made us one people, is essential to our nationality and essential to the protection of the rights of all the people at home and abroad. The State governments are also essential to the local administration of the law, which makes it omnipresent, visible to every man within the vast extent of the Republic, in every place, whether by the wayside or by the fireside, restraining him by its terrors from the wrong, and protecting him by its power, in the right.”

A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875

Congressional Globe, House of Representatives, 42nd Congress, 1st Session, 84 & 85

"Article 1
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Article 2
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Article 3
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Article 4
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Article 5
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Article 6
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Article 7
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Article 8
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

These eight articles I have shown never were limitations upon the power of the States, until made so by the fourteenth amendment. The words of that amendment, “no State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the priviliges or immunities of citizens of the Unites States,” are an express prohibition upon every State of the Union, which may be enforced under existing laws of Congress, and such other laws for their better enforcement as Congress may make.”

Congressional Globe, House of Representatives, 42nd Congress, 1st Session, 84.

"Mr. Speaker, that the scope and meaning of the limitations imposed by the first section, fourteenth amendment of the Constitution may be more fully understood, permit me to say that the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, as contradistinguished from citizens of a State, are chiefly defined in the first eight amendments to the Constitution of the United States." --John Bingham, Appendix to the Congressional Globe http://tinyurl.com/y3ne4n

Congressional Globe, House of Representatives, 42nd Congress, 1st Session, 84.

>>>>

by all means, quote me something by 'the author' that makes you believe that the amendment was limited in some way to just slaves.
i'll wait.
By all means, you can find the intent of the amendment very easily.

i'll wait.
Nothing in the 14th limits it to just slaves.

i'll wait.

The Reconstruction Amendments are the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth amendments to the United States Constitution, adopted between 1865 and 1870, the five years immediately following the Civil War. The amendments were important in implementing the Reconstruction of the American South after the war.

Last edited:
i'll wait.
The 13, 14, and 15th amendments are known as "The Civil War amendments".
super. and there are some who call me... tim
now, can you tell us what part of the 14th amendment you believe limits the scope of it to just slaves?

Forum List

Back