A return to Kennedy Era journalism?

I do agree that the media likes Obama more than Bush. But, I honestly think that most of that is based on shallowness not partisanship.

Strongly disagree. Most media and most of hollyweird, most movies, most television shows, are all left leaning.

I do agree that the media likes Obama more than Bush. But, I honestly think that most of that is based on shallowness not partisanship.

I do totally part ways with you on this one Amy. I could list example after example but there are websites that do that quite well. Left leaning bias in the media is sometimes blatant but not always. Sometimes it is a simple as the use of a certain word in a headline that changes the tone of the story from neutral to bias. Journalism in general is truly not an honorable profession anymore imo.

While there certainly is a shallow and sensationalist bent to most media, the orientation of many "journalists" precludes them from any sense of objectivity - they are there to "change the world." Bush got slammed for NCLB which was actually designed and written with Ted Kennedy in control while Obama gets a pass for Fast n Furious because it was supposedly a Bush era program.

But it wasn't, Wide Receiver was Bush and Fast and Furious was Obama. Two separate programs.

PolitiFact Florida | Barack Obama said 'Fast and Furious' began under the Bush administration

Obama got credit for ending the war in Iraq but it was done on the terms negotiated by the Bush Administration, terms that Obama and Democrats criticized heavily.

Yes, there is a clear partisan bias in the mainstream media.

Strongly disagree. Most media and most of hollyweird, most movies, most television shows, are all left leaning.

Left "leaning"?

please name a show that isn't fully leftist.

hell NatGeo is full bore leftist and they spew it

And frankly, most posts that make this point are all ipse dixit and no cattle.

What most media and Hollyweird and TV shows are, is sensationalistic. Ideology doesn't sell; emotion does.

Last edited:

And frankly, most posts that make this point are all ipse dixit and no cattle.

What most media and Hollyweird and TV shows are, is sensationalistic. Ideology doesn't sell; emotion does.

You might want look up the numerous interviews conducted by Ben Shapiro for his book "Primetime Propaganda" (quite a few of the interviews are on YouTube).

A New York magazine article written by Jonathan Chait (a liberal supporter of Obama who says that: "I consider his presidency an overwhelming success.") wrote about Hollywood bias last summer. The article is 5 pages long. A couple of quotes from those pages:

"The more uncomfortable reality is that the culture war is an ongoing liberal rout. Hollywood is as liberal as ever, and conservatives have simply despaired of changing it."

"You don’t have to be an especially devoted consumer of film or television (I’m not) to detect a pervasive, if not total, liberalism."

"Several years ago, a trio of researchers working for the Inter-American Development Bank set out to help solve a sociological mystery...........The researchers zeroed in on one factor: television."

"Making money is their main goal, but they do blend profit with their artistic sensibility, which is heavily influenced by their ideological perspective."

"The need to appeal to the widest possible audience generally drives film and television to avoid displays of overt partisanship, while still smuggling in a message."

"But they do have a point about one thing: We liberals owe not a small measure of our success to the propaganda campaign of a tiny, disproportionately influential cultural elite."

Jonathan Chait on Hollywood’s Liberal Propaganda -- New York Magazine

Last edited:
'Left' is a relative term. Democracies are left of fascism, but that doesn't make them 'leftist'.

Many confuse their position as the correct, thus 'central', one. Anything that differs is either 'right' or 'left', depending on which they dislike more.

That the press is relatively humanist (especially since, by definition, the desire to be a journalist is in that vein) creates a general impression for some that media are 'left'. That is an error.

The gutless journalism of our time, that occupies itself with the meaningless and superficial and allows itself to sit in a room and be told the 'facts' by vested interests, is an embarrassment. Being neither 'left' or 'right', I nevertheless cannot help but have contempt for much of what passes for news.

Personally I referred to the journalist that I quoted as being liberal - this was in fact how he described himself. Was he wrong?

The relationship between the media and the state is one of mutual benefit, but on a smaller scale than you might imagine. Just like everything else, it's about people, not organizations.

Reporters doing favors for staffers will lead to staffers doing them favors.

In many cases, politics functions on a much smaller scale than most people realize.

I do totally part ways with you on this one Amy. I could list example after example but there are websites that do that quite well. Left leaning bias in the media is sometimes blatant but not always. Sometimes it is a simple as the use of a certain word in a headline that changes the tone of the story from neutral to bias. Journalism in general is truly not an honorable profession anymore imo.

I agree you could find bias. I think more subconscious, people are all naturally biased.

However I think the abject dislike of Bush, compared to the coddling Obama gets, is not really about dem vs pub. It's an image issue. Obama is charming, handsome and well spoken. Bush had a southern accent, was a bit goofy looking and bumbling.

I agree you could find bias. I think more subconscious, people are all naturally biased.

However I think the abject dislike of Bush, compared to the coddling Obama gets, is not really about dem vs pub. It's an image issue. Obama is charming, handsome and well spoken. Bush had a southern accent, was a bit goofy looking and bumbling.

Obama reads a teleprompter very well. He's quite bumbling when he's off it though.

Forum List

Back