a republican with balls of solid rock, finally

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
columbus senator being deployed to Iraq, says NO to lawmaker deferment

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A state senator has announced he's headed to the Persian Gulf as the leader of his Ohio Army National Guard unit.

Columbus Republican Steve Stivers, the commander of the Columbus-based 237th Personnel Services Batallion, leaves next month for a deployment in support of the war in Iraq.

He said security rules prevent him from providing more details or saying where he'll be based.

His unit keeps track of soldiers in the field, the awarding of medals and contact with families at home.

Stivers, 39, was appointed to the Senate in January 2003 and is running for election to the seat this November.

Stivers joined the Army National Guard 19 years ago.

He was eligible for a lawmaker's deferment but said he never considered not going.

"I always knew that mobilization was a possibility, and now the time has come," Stiver said.

Word of deployment came as the U.S. military death toll in Iraq topped the 1,000 mark.

"No soldier loves war too much, because soldiers pay the ultimate price in war," Stivers said.

I guess not ALL politicians are ALL bad. I wonder how many actors/actresses are in the reserves. Too lazy to research that myself, but I bet the answers is pretty close to NONE.

DKSuddeth said:
columbus senator being deployed to Iraq, says NO to lawmaker deferment

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A state senator has announced he's headed to the Persian Gulf as the leader of his Ohio Army National Guard unit.

Columbus Republican Steve Stivers, the commander of the Columbus-based 237th Personnel Services Batallion, leaves next month for a deployment in support of the war in Iraq.

He said security rules prevent him from providing more details or saying where he'll be based.

His unit keeps track of soldiers in the field, the awarding of medals and contact with families at home.

Stivers, 39, was appointed to the Senate in January 2003 and is running for election to the seat this November.

Stivers joined the Army National Guard 19 years ago.

He was eligible for a lawmaker's deferment but said he never considered not going.

"I always knew that mobilization was a possibility, and now the time has come," Stiver said.

Word of deployment came as the U.S. military death toll in Iraq topped the 1,000 mark.

"No soldier loves war too much, because soldiers pay the ultimate price in war," Stivers said.

Actually Mark Kirk from Illinois went over awhile ago. It think there are several members of Congress serving.

Good for him!

But can't you just hear his Democratic opponent in the upcoming election? "Steve Stivers is not fit to represent the people of this district. Instead of staying home and tending to business, he irresponsibly chose to run off to participate in George Bush's misadventure!"

Betcha.

Merlin1047 said:
Good for him!

But can't you just hear his Democratic opponent in the upcoming election? "Steve Stivers is not fit to represent the people of this district. Instead of staying home and tending to business, he irresponsibly chose to run off to participate in George Bush's misadventure!"

Betcha.

No bet. It may even get as far as "I am braver than my opponent becuase, unlike Steve Stivers, I had the courage to stand up against the current administration and stay home!"

No bet. It may even get as far as "I am braver than my opponent becuase, unlike Steve Stivers, I had the courage to stand up against the current administration and stay home!"

with the ABB crowd that might fly, but among the independents and undecideds it would be a major deletorious disaster for the dem candidate.

Forum List

Back