A real toe tapper.

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
You may not have heard of this group. Can't imagine how that's possible. Anyway, here is a sample of their incredible talent. BTW, this song is sung a capella. No musical back-up.

Yeah, they are awesome. That song is from 2015. Unfortunately the guy with the beard, Avi Kaplan, left to pursue his own group recently. Hearing his new songs I suspect the strain on his voice prompted it, singing so low, as his new songs are at a higher octave than his super low bass. He said he felt they would not give him any artistic freedom. His replacement isnā€™t nearly as dynamic.
Here he is with some takes on his bass notes he was consistently using in Pentatonix

Here he is with his new group
SWEET ADELINE - AVRIEL & THE SEQUOIAS
Here they are with their new bass singer Matt Sallee

• Banned
Yeah, they are awesome. That song is from 2015. Unfortunately the guy with the beard, Avi Kaplan, left to pursue his own group recently. Hearing his new songs I suspect the strain on his voice prompted it, singing so low, as his new songs are at a higher octave than his super low bass. He said he felt they would not give him any artistic freedom. His replacement isnā€™t nearly as dynamic.
Here he is with some takes on his bass notes he was consistently using in Pentatonix

I heard the reason he quit was because he couldn't handle all the traveling they did.

He didnā€™t like the fact there just no breaks, but he is touring with his new group now, but he has control over the breaks. Here is a little more-

The music is differentā€”as is the scarcity of his trademark basso profundo vocalsā€”but Kaplan says his fans have embraced this more personal side.

ā€œItā€™s been amazing,ā€ he tells PEOPLE. ā€œLeaving the group and putting out a new EP, I prepared myself for the worstā€”people either being really mad at me for leaving, or really weirded out that I was doing something totally different from what I was doing before. But with the fanbase that we have, they really do know who we are as individuals, and I think thatā€™s why theyā€™re such diehard fans. They really know me and where my heartā€™s at. So when my [solo] music came out, the most popular opinion was that it really felt like me. Thatā€™s all I could have asked for, regardless of how well it did or anything like that. All I wanted was for it to come off as true and honest, because thatā€™s what it is for me. Itā€™s honestly who I am.ā€

Avi Kaplan Talks Finding His Own Voice After Pentatonix: 'Music Was the Best Drug for Anxiety'

Personally, I still like pentatonix, but not enough to seek out their new music, as I would before.

I heard the reason he quit was because he couldn't handle all the traveling they did.

Forum List

Back