A question on government travel cards

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
So I've been actively avoiding getting one for the past three years. Recently leadership has started cracking down on this and has decided that everyone will have one. I asked leadership if it's allowable to use one's own money to pay for official business rather than use the GTC. The answer given was "no, you can use cash and save the receipts to turn in for reimbursement". I clarified that I meant literally paying your own expenses yourself, without dealing with the reimbursement process either. Leadership reiterated that we may use our own money and then turn in the receipts for reimbursement. I still don't have a solid answer for the question I was actually asking, which was about footing the entirety of your own expenses personally without reimbursement. Could you, say, pay all of the expenses for a TDY yourself, or is reimbursement actually mandatory?

Yes, I do have my reasons for wanting to buy my own transportation and lodging and such. They mainly come down to a sense of personal responsibility and the desire not to waste federal funds when they already pay me enough as it is.

Forum List

Back