A question from a conservative to the conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by editec, Jun 28, 2008.

1. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Doug asked some extremely thoughtful questions in another thread.

His questions are so penetrating that I think they deserve their own thread. I would dearly love to see those of you who strenuously object to what you believe "liberalism" stands for, answer these questions for the benefit of we who are apparently too dumb to understand the brilliance of the conservative mind.

Do you think that Doug is right?

Is the average American drifting toward the "left?"

If you think they are, what issues of the day do you think are causing this?

Do you think that the "right" has superior solutions to that issues, and if so, what are they and why is the average American unable to see why the "right's" solution is a better one?

Do you think that the Americans drifting to left are doing so just because they're not smart enough to see why your solutions are superior, or do you believe that they are communists at heart?

Do you believe that the Bush administration's proformance in the last two terms has helped the conservative cause or hurt it?

If you believe that the Bush Administration's has hurt the conservative movement, what would you have done differently if you had been POTUS?

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,758
    If I can make a comment...When I read this on your thread, I thought he was talking about the Iraq war...How did this disaster happen? And, in particular, did any actions of ours contributed to our great defeat?(2) What should we do now? How should we fight.

But he's actually talking about the horror of having a Democratic president.

IMO, there's something deeply wrong with the Republican priority list.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,927
    Really? And yet the Liberals and democrats have been acting like crazed mad men ever since Bush got elected. I suggest you clean up YOUR party.

As to the question of the thread. I believe GunnyL answered part of it for you. Our decadence and our liberties breed a drift to the left. But that doesn't answer it all. The majority of Americans are not right or left wing. The majority of people that vote for liberal policies do so because liberals bribe them to do so. They breed a society that thinks government should do every thing for them. All their problems are taken care of by Big Brother.

I believe that Conservatives are the stronger and the better solution indeed. Conservatives of today do not need nor want handouts or expect the Government to hold their hand throughout their life and coddle them. Conservatives want to rein in the Nanny State and make people self sufficient , able to stand on their own with only drastic times requiring Government help. Conservatives believe in personal freedom not Government control " for their own good".

Unlike Liberals, conservatives of today do not try to use the Government to shut up their opposition ( remember the "fairness doctrine"?) they care about our borders and where our society is headed.

The 2006 defeat was a wake up call. the Democrats did not win, the Republicans LOST. They had lost their way. In fact a large number of Democrats that got elected in 2006 had to run ON Conservative issues. 30 or 40 I believe.

Bush and McCain are NOT conservatives. The National leadership has failed us for years now. But given the choice of a centerist ot slightly left "republican" or a blazing Liberal Democrat, we have had no choice but to vote for these poor choices.

Unlike a liberal that will vote for any dog or pony with a D behind their name, the Conservatives can and will vote out the bums that do not live up to expectations of the Conservative desires. Thus 2006.

4. nomdeplume

nomdeplume Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    They should kick the neocon scum out of the republican party. Nothing but liberals in thousand dollar suits with itchy trigger fingers.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I think the powers-that-be are PUSHING to the left, and the average American is going along to some extent.

The right doesn't claim to have government solutions to problems, and people see this as "they're not doing anything." The left sees a government solution to every problem. That side wins, especially in a situation like the Depression.

Hurt.

Kick the Jews out of the Pentagon or any position of influence over war. Cease unqualified support of Israel. Deport illegal aliens.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It would appear the hope of Americans leaning left may be overblown:

Americans Oppose Income Redistribution to Fix Economy

7. Reality

Reality Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As was said earlier in this post, most Americans don't identify with a political ideology. With questions asked like this, of course these are the answers given.

If you asked people if they supported public works projects as a means of job creation the numbers would be very different. That is a redistribution of wealth.

If you asked people if they favored price control on gasoline the numbers would be very different. That is a redistribution of wealth.

You can phrase specific questions that would generate much different answers. Asking ideological questions will get respondents to essentially reject the questions.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I'm not sure the above is addressed to me since I don't have a party.

So basically you think that the majority of Americans are commies?

This from someone whose paychecks come from the ultimate nanny state...the military?

This from someone whose career path included a lifestyle which is the quintessance of non-personnal freedom ...the military?

Yeah, well...I'm not so sure I understand your point except that you don't like liberals, but so noted.

Funny how those two things tend to go together, though.

One side loses, ergo the other wins.

Seems to me that in either case Americans keep losing though.

Agreed. Clinton was possible the most effective conservative POTUS (in some ways, I mean) in our lifetimes.

You and I are totally on the same page there.

You'll hear the identical lament from the Dems, of course.

Tell that to the Nadarites, sport. I suspect they and the democratic party might have a slight difference of opinion regarding their loyalty to the D brand.

Did you not vote for Bush the second time around then? Or did it take you more than four years to finally come to the conclusion that:

9. Doug

Doug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    In the recent past, about 20% of Americans have identified themselves as liberals -- and thus presumably in favor of income redistribution -- and 30% as conservatives, and thus presumably against it. The rest are neither, and political power will come to that side which can win a sufficient number of them in an election.

Most people in fact take a "common sense" view of economic issues, and this probably includes a lot of people who think of themselves as liberals. (We must distinguish between genuine liberals, and the Far Left. The former can be used by the latter, but are not the same thing.) Thus their -- absolutely correct -- rejection of the idea of the raw transfer of wealth from one section of the population to another. (Interestingly, conservatives in the 18th and 19th centuries feared that mass democracy would mean exactly income re-distribution, which is why the Constitution has so many barriers to direct democracy and why universal suffrage was so long delayed in Europe.)

However ... this does not mean that the majority of people are in favor of a simple laissez-faire economy. If conservatives continue to identify themselves with the economic status quo, during times of economic hardship, they will lose the support of the white working class, whose support has been critical for conservative electoral success in the past four decades.

The fact is, that all modern states incorporate some element of the welfare-state approach. Conservatives need to think about how to differentiate between welfare-state measures that destroy independence and increase dependency, on the one hand, and those that might actually encourage economic independence, on the other.

Fortunately, we have some new, young conservative writers appearing on the scene, who may bring fresh thinking to these problems. David Brookes' column discusses some of them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  10. Reality

Reality Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17

Hahahahahahahahaha priceless.

I believe he's also stated that he's compromising his values and voting for who his party tells him to, again