A Puzzle in Pyongyang

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
A Puzzle in Pyongyang - By Rüdiger Frank | Foreign Policy

"Finally," one is tempted to say. The years of speculation and half-baked news from dubious sources are over. A senior North Korean official has confirmed the unbroken line of power from father to son to grandson. The nagging issue, over which there's been so much speculation, as to who will inherit Kim Jong Il's regime has been officially resolved. Or has it?

The third delegates' meeting of the ruling Workers' Party of Korea on Sept. 28 answered a few questions. Still, it left others unanswered and posed quite a few new ones as well. In the end, Kim Jong Il emerged the undisputed leader. But has his legitimacy become more independent of his father than it used to be? Kim Jong Un has been introduced to the people. Does this mean he is going to succeed Kim Jong Il? Or will he succeed Kim Il Sung? Kim Jong Il's sister Kim Kyong Hui has been promoted to the rank of general and is part of the party leadership. Is she supposed to support her nephew, or is this part of a strategy to more broadly enhance the family's power? Her husband Jang Song Taek is also on board. Will he share the caretaking job with his wife? Are there any other members of the extended Kim family on the team?

A really good article I think that puts into perspective the leadership transition in North Korea for those who may not of been able to get all the details thus far or have been paying attention.

Hereditary monarchy in a communist state... the world is full of contradictions.

One can only hope he is less a dork than his dad.

The previous heir apparent caused too much trouble I guess.

Hereditary monarchy in a communist state... the world is full of contradictions.

One can only hope he is less a dork than his dad.

The previous heir apparent caused too much trouble I guess.

He was considered too "soft" by his father. Plus he got caught trying to sneak into Japan on a fake passport I believe it was.

Pyonyang has always been a puzzle to mankind.

Sometimes they like it this way....the next time they like it another way and the first way annoys them now....

....wait...we're not talking about the same thing, are we?

Forum List

Back