A Protest Nation and An Election

What does "Hope and Change" base itself on? The fear of four more years of the same.

Barrack Obama is not going to change crap, regardless his rhetoric. He most assuredly is not going to change the political divisiveness in this nation. Conservatives are not going to embrace liberal ideology.

If he's elected, the coolest thing will be watching to lefties start falling all over each other trying to adjust from offensive mode to defensive. Paybacks are a bitch, and y'all got 8 years coming to you.:lol:

Hope is the basis for wanting something or having faith in something. Change is when things are made different (which can be for good or worse).

Hope and Change together is just the basis for wanting things to be different. It's not a fear of four more years of the same, it's wanting things to be DIFFERENT. Someone can want change without fearing what is currently happening.

You can feel how you like about Barack Obama. Many Conservatives have already embraced his views and are going to vote for him.

I hope he is elected. You say Payback is a bitch, I say the improvement of this country if Barack Obama is elected for 4-8 years will be the best thing to happen to this country since the 90's.

If anyone fears anything here, it's the corporate suits in charge. They are losing their drinking buddy of a President in Bush who gave no bid contracts to oil companies, weapon contracters, and of course even tried to sell our Port security to a foreign company.

If Change and Hope is nothing, if Barack Obama is nothing then why are all these right-wingers coming out of the woodwork trying to take him down a peg? Why are they trying to paint him as a racist, a sexist, or anything they can get their hands on?

I'll tell you why, because they're scared. Because they're scared change is coming. Just like when Kennedy was changing things and doing things differently when he was in office.

Don't you notice the people who know when change is needed in their country, and step up risking their lives to help get it. These men gave the ultimate sacrifice along with our men and women who have bravely served this country (the ones in the US case), so their lost lives would not be in vain.

Martin Luther King Jr, Robert F Kennedy, John F Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Ghandi, and many others.

Barack Obama is now taking that same risk. He is the first African American to have gained any major Political Party's nomination (though he is half-white) but the fact he is part black has plenty of people pissed. He's risking his life by running for this office, even you know that Gunny.

As Bob Dylan once wrote, "These times are a changing" and for the first time in a long time, The people who are against this nation being united, the people who want to see this nation crumble, the ones who will lose millions if not billions if Barack Obama is elected and changes things for the better because they will no longer be able to rob this country blind,etc; all these people are scared.

“We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.”
--Barack Obama

The question is, do you want to be with change for the better or for the same old Politics?

I want change, I want this country to go back to the way it use to be. Respected by the rest of the world, a country in which the American Dream wasn't a myth or dying because the amount of wages made between the middle and upper class was over 100x, a country where we had freedoms and rights, and of course a administration we could believe in.

You may not want to believe, and that's your choice. However, when your done playing the same old Politics that are being played. The rest of us will be waiting.

That goes for everyone here who wants to question others Patriotism, to question others religion beliefs, to turn this election into a mud slinging contest. Like Barack Obama, I'll continue to take the high road.

E.. D

That's a given, there, however, do you think that some and i'm not saying all, are doing so now because it's the cool thing to do? I'm retired Military and I have to tell you it breaks my heart to see people stand in front of a Military Recruiters office and block the path and then call those brave men and women all sorts of vile trash. I would just rather they say nothing at all , it is not the soidier, sailor , or airmen that takes the country to war , it is they make the sacrifices, family, hardships, and some with their very lives. So this what I like to call protest culture, seems to have gotten to the point where, it's just i'm going to protest this or that , rather than try and change it. Did they ever stop to think, "wait , maybe if I signed up I can make a difference".Again I would never stop anyone from exercising their rights, but as I have said, a cause without reason is , a lost cause.

I guess there might be some people thecause it's the "cool" thing to do, but it seems like staging any significant protest or actually being active in public dissent is quite a time-absorbing activity, and most people who go through the trouble of doing it do it because they really believe it. Kinda like how I doubt most people in a military would be in it because it's "the cool thing to do", you know? I wouldn't see the point in personally attacking soldiers, either, because you're right- the soldier doesn't set policy. The problem there is misdirection; protestors should protest against the policy makers who are the root of the percieved problem. I do disagree with the "protest culture, seems to have gotten to the point where, it's just i'm going to protest this or that , rather than try and change it". I don't really see how protesting ISN'T a fundamental way to enact change, especially considering that the only time people have a voice is once every four years. How else but through public dissent can change be enacted in policy? It's kind of unfair to say that it's a cause without reason though, because there must be a reason for the fact that there is dissent... On any issue, if there are people protesting (whether it be pro-lifers or anti-war...ers), then there must be some reason for the discontent, and it is legimitate for it to be heard so long as there is no violence involved.

I guess there might be some people thecause it's the "cool" thing to do, but it seems like staging any significant protest or actually being active in public dissent is quite a time-absorbing activity, and most people who go through the trouble of doing it do it because they really believe it. Kinda like how I doubt most people in a military would be in it because it's "the cool thing to do", you know? I wouldn't see the point in personally attacking soldiers, either, because you're right- the soldier doesn't set policy. The problem there is misdirection; protestors should protest against the policy makers who are the root of the percieved problem. I do disagree with the "protest culture, seems to have gotten to the point where, it's just i'm going to protest this or that , rather than try and change it". I don't really see how protesting ISN'T a fundamental way to enact change, especially considering that the only time people have a voice is once every four years. How else but through public dissent can change be enacted in policy? It's kind of unfair to say that it's a cause without reason though, because there must be a reason for the fact that there is dissent... On any issue, if there are people protesting (whether it be pro-lifers or anti-war...ers), then there must be some reason for the discontent, and it is legimitate for it to be heard so long as there is no violence involved.

E.D.

While I agree that the right to voice one's dissent peacefully is a given. What about changing it from within? Do you really think that a congressmen listens to the group of protesters that cause mayhem in a hearing, or the Senator perhaps that is blocked from entering a buliding? Do you think perhaps they look upon them as more of an annoying presence? While we may disagree on that point I honestly believe that if the same energy and passion that was directed in these protests was directed at , let's say a local candidate for office or perhaps even joining the military think how much we could accomplish?

Hope is the basis for wanting something or having faith in something. Change is when things are made different (which can be for good or worse).

Hope and Change together is just the basis for wanting things to be different. It's not a fear of four more years of the same, it's wanting things to be DIFFERENT. Someone can want change without fearing what is currently happening.

You can feel how you like about Barack Obama. Many Conservatives have already embraced his views and are going to vote for him.

I hope he is elected. You say Payback is a bitch, I say the improvement of this country if Barack Obama is elected for 4-8 years will be the best thing to happen to this country since the 90's.

If anyone fears anything here, it's the corporate suits in charge. They are losing their drinking buddy of a President in Bush who gave no bid contracts to oil companies, weapon contracters, and of course even tried to sell our Port security to a foreign company.

If Change and Hope is nothing, if Barack Obama is nothing then why are all these right-wingers coming out of the woodwork trying to take him down a peg? Why are they trying to paint him as a racist, a sexist, or anything they can get their hands on?

I'll tell you why, because they're scared. Because they're scared change is coming. Just like when Kennedy was changing things and doing things differently when he was in office.

Don't you notice the people who know when change is needed in their country, and step up risking their lives to help get it. These men gave the ultimate sacrifice along with our men and women who have bravely served this country (the ones in the US case), so their lost lives would not be in vain.

Martin Luther King Jr, Robert F Kennedy, John F Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Ghandi, and many others.

Barack Obama is now taking that same risk. He is the first African American to have gained any major Political Party's nomination (though he is half-white) but the fact he is part black has plenty of people pissed. He's risking his life by running for this office, even you know that Gunny.

As Bob Dylan once wrote, "These times are a changing" and for the first time in a long time, The people who are against this nation being united, the people who want to see this nation crumble, the ones who will lose millions if not billions if Barack Obama is elected and changes things for the better because they will no longer be able to rob this country blind,etc; all these people are scared.

“We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.”
--Barack Obama

The question is, do you want to be with change for the better or for the same old Politics?

I want change, I want this country to go back to the way it use to be. Respected by the rest of the world, a country in which the American Dream wasn't a myth or dying because the amount of wages made between the middle and upper class was over 100x, a country where we had freedoms and rights, and of course a administration we could believe in.

You may not want to believe, and that's your choice. However, when your done playing the same old Politics that are being played. The rest of us will be waiting.

That goes for everyone here who wants to question others Patriotism, to question others religion beliefs, to turn this election into a mud slinging contest. Like Barack Obama, I'll continue to take the high road.

"And over the next hundred days, in every word we say, and every life we touch, we will be fighting for the future of America" Walter Mondale
Four years ago, many of you voted for Mr. Reagan because he promised you'd be better off. And today, the rich are better off. But working Americans are worse off, and the middle class is standing on a trap door. " Walter Mondale 1984 DNC

(*source CNN)

"Nineteen seventy-six will not be a year of politics as usual. It can be a year of inspiration and hope, and it will be a year of concern, of quiet and sober reassessment of our nation’s character and purpose -- a year when voters have already confounded the experts. And I guarantee you that it will be the year when we give the government of this country back to the people of this country. " Jimmy Carter DNC 1976 (*source CNN)

"Tonight 10 million of our fellow Americans are out of work, tens of millions more work harder for lower pay. The incumbent President says that unemployment always goes up a little before a recovery begins, but unemployment only has to go up by one more person before a real recovery can begin. (Applause) And Mr. President, you are that man." Bill Clinton 1992 DNC (*source CNN)

"Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and even more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach." Barack Obama 2008 DNC (*source DNC)

Robert, I thought I might put this here for everyone, to give you an idea of using scare tactics is not new, and is not just the sole property of the Republican party. You see the pattern? wealthy bad, former president bad, your economy bad, and the sky is falling. and we are here to fix it. See what I mean.

"And over the next hundred days, in every word we say, and every life we touch, we will be fighting for the future of America" Walter Mondale
Four years ago, many of you voted for Mr. Reagan because he promised you'd be better off. And today, the rich are better off. But working Americans are worse off, and the middle class is standing on a trap door. " Walter Mondale 1984 DNC

(*source CNN)

"Nineteen seventy-six will not be a year of politics as usual. It can be a year of inspiration and hope, and it will be a year of concern, of quiet and sober reassessment of our nation’s character and purpose -- a year when voters have already confounded the experts. And I guarantee you that it will be the year when we give the government of this country back to the people of this country. " Jimmy Carter DNC 1976 (*source CNN)

"Tonight 10 million of our fellow Americans are out of work, tens of millions more work harder for lower pay. The incumbent President says that unemployment always goes up a little before a recovery begins, but unemployment only has to go up by one more person before a real recovery can begin. (Applause) And Mr. President, you are that man." Bill Clinton 1992 DNC (*source CNN)

"Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and even more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach." Barack Obama 2008 DNC (*source DNC)

Robert, I thought I might put this here for everyone, to give you an idea of using scare tactics is not new, and is not just the sole property of the Republican party. You see the pattern? wealthy bad, former president bad, your economy bad, and the sky is falling. and we are here to fix it. See what I mean.

Navy, have you studied history? All those statements (except Jimmy Carter's perhaps) could be said they are true for the times. Especially Barack Obama's.

I've seen my neighborhood, countless homes are said for sale and are being lost. Family houses that worth near $300,000 not even 8 years ago are worth $180,000 now. Cars and their insurance are becoming unaffordable, you don't see as many teenagers on the road anymore because of that. Credit Card debt? I went over this with you yesterday.

Tuition beyond reach is the most true statement of that bunch. I'm going to college next year, do you honestly think without scholarships I'll be able to pay for a 4 year college that's between $20-30,000 a year?

$20,000 - $30,000 a year is more then some families make.

And you notice it's Democrats who say that more often for change? Why? Because they're always cleaning up the Republicans messes. You'll notice since the days after Jimmy Carter, this country economy wise has always been better off with a Democratic President.

--Barack Obama

Depends on what your defnition of "many" is because that's just wishful thinking on your part. That's where "hope" comes into play. You "hope" conservatives will vote for Obama.

Anyone embracing Obama's views is in fact NOT conservative.

What I notice is another politician is promising something he can't deliver. It is merely your opinion that any of of his promises would be changes for the better.

When exactly is it you want this country to go back to? The Cold War? In reality, when the Cold War ended, so did respect for the US by "the world." That is one of the most overyplayed and misused claims of them all.

The world doesn't like us. They just keep their mouthes shut and take what we're giving away so long as we ask nothing in return or even voice an opinion.

You sure do paint with a wide brush. "Many" conservatives. "The rest of us" will be waiting. Waiting to get your hopes crushed is all.

You're right, it's my choice whether or not I want to believe yet another politician delivering the same old promise and NOT delivering the goods. I choose not to, thanks.

Depends on what your defnition of "many" is because that's just wishful thinking on your part. That's where "hope" comes into play. You "hope" conservatives will vote for Obama.

What I notice is another politician is promising something he can't deliver. It is merely your opinion that any of of his promises would be changes for the better.

When exactly is it you want this country to go back to? The Cold War? In reality, when the Cold War ended, so did respect for the US by "the world." That is one of the most overyplayed and misused claims of them all.

The world doesn't like us. They just keep their mouthes shut and take what we're giving away so long as we ask nothing in return or even voice an opinion.

You sure do paint with a wide brush. "Many" conservatives. "The rest of us" will be waiting. Waiting to get your hopes crushed is all.

You're right, it's my choice whether or not I want to believe yet another politician delivering the same old promise and NOT delivering the goods. I choose not to, thanks.

I have hope that people will make the right decision this election season. I have never seen so many Republicans or right leaning Independents voting for a Democrat ever.

I don't want this country to go back to a cold war. If you want my honest opinion, I believe we are already in another cold war though not with Russia.

The world hates our guts for the most part, that much is true. However, there is a difference between being liked and being respected.

Paint with a wide brush? No, when I said the rest of us I was refering to the ones who didn't want to play the same old games of politics. And the many conservative statement could be considered true taking in fact how many were willing to vote Obama, 3rd party, or stay home before Palin.

Many still are going to Vote Obama, 3rd party, or stay home. Others are going to vote McCain now because of Palin.

I respect your choice to believe whatever you want, that's part of the definition of America. To choose what you want to believe in and a manner you choose as long as it is not harming others.

However, I respectfully like to say that you are judging too harshly and quickly before giving Obama a chance to make good on his promises.

Can he make good on ALL of them? Probably not

Can he make good on half of them? Sure he can, and making good on even half to 2/3 of his promises would bring a huge difference to this country.

Navy, have you studied history? All those statements (except Jimmy Carter's perhaps) could be said they are true for the times. Especially Barack Obama's.

I've seen my neighborhood, countless homes are said for sale and are being lost. Family houses that worth near $300,000 not even 8 years ago are worth $180,000 now. Cars and their insurance are becoming unaffordable, you don't see as many teenagers on the road anymore because of that. Credit Card debt? I went over this with you yesterday.

Tuition beyond reach is the most true statement of that bunch. I'm going to college next year, do you honestly think without scholarships I'll be able to pay for a 4 year college that's between $20-30,000 a year?

$20,000 - $30,000 a year is more then some families make.

And you notice it's Democrats who say that more often for change? Why? Because they're always cleaning up the Republicans messes. You'll notice since the days after Jimmy Carter, this country economy wise has always been better off with a Democratic President.

I have actually Robert, and the point is related to scare tactics a they relate to campaigns and parties. * lol* No need to debate the credit card debate again, I think we both know where we stand on that one. You choose to look at the series of speeches and see them as talking to you directly and they are telling you the straight truth and not using a scare tactic. However, to me, a person who has a stable home, has seen my income rise, I choose to see it as a scare tactic. Interestingly enough when you hear the Republican candidate speak you hear a scare tactic and I hear pretty much what you hear from Obama? see what I mean? That's the point they both use it, I suppose it's all in how it's looked at.

I have hope that people will make the right decision this election season. I have never seen so many Republicans or right leaning Independents voting for a Democrat ever.

I don't want this country to go back to a cold war. If you want my honest opinion, I believe we are already in another cold war though not with Russia.

The world hates our guts for the most part, that much is true. However, there is a difference between being liked and being respected.

Paint with a wide brush? No, when I said the rest of us I was refering to the ones who didn't want to play the same old games of politics. And the many conservative statement could be considered true taking in fact how many were willing to vote Obama, 3rd party, or stay home before Palin.

Many still are going to Vote Obama, 3rd party, or stay home. Others are going to vote McCain now because of Palin.

I respect your choice to believe whatever you want, that's part of the definition of America. To choose what you want to believe in and a manner you choose as long as it is not harming others.

However, I respectfully like to say that you are judging too harshly and quickly before giving Obama a chance to make good on his promises.

Can he make good on ALL of them? Probably not

Can he make good on half of them? Sure he can, and making good on even half to 2/3 of his promises would bring a huge difference to this country.

I am judging no one too harshly. I disagree with his political ideology, and I disagree with his talking points. I see no reason to give him a chance to enact anything that goes against what I believe is right.

Like I said, wishful thinking on how many conservatives you think are going to vote for Obama. Your best hope in that area is a repeat performance of the 2006 midterms and that conservatives/Republicans just stay home.

Anyone calling themselves a conservative that votes for Obama is in fact, not a conservative, or they're pretty damned dumb. McCain's no peach. I have never liked him. He's STILL more conservative than Obama.

I have actually Robert, and the point is related to scare tactics a they relate to campaigns and parties. * lol* No need to debate the credit card debate again, I think we both know where we stand on that one. You choose to look at the series of speeches and see them as talking to you directly and they are telling you the straight truth and not using a scare tactic. However, to me, a person who has a stable home, has seen my income rise, I choose to see it as a scare tactic. Interestingly enough when you hear the Republican candidate speak you hear a scare tactic and I hear pretty much what you hear from Obama? see what I mean? That's the point they both use it, I suppose it's all in how it's looked at.

Well I don't have income rise as I'm a teenager. I have a stable home and all that.

I'm going to just barely being not able to vote in this election. I've grown up with the education system run under Bush, No Child Left Behind is one of the biggest jokes I've seen in my lifetime.

I've seen things continue to decline as the years go by. It's not something at this point whether we want change, we NEED change.

How many more years can people continue to lose their homes Navy? How many more years can this decline continue before people say enough and rise up?

The same old policies won't work anymore. I don't think they are talking to me directly, but rather the American people in general.

Now am I saying that no Democrat in history has used scare tactics? Of course not, but I know Obama isn't playing scare tactics.

When he talks about those things, he's relating to the American people, he's telling them he understands their problems and he has a plan to fix it. You see the McCain Campaign however avoid the topic more then anything.

Sarah Palin avoided using the words "middle class" in her convention speech, how is that for helping the middle class if you won't even mention them?

If you don't think this country is worse off then it was eight years ago, go eight years in the past and look how everything was. Then compare that to now.

I am judging no one too harshly. I disagree with his political ideology, and I disagree with his talking points. I see no reason to give him a chance to enact anything that goes against what I believe is right.

Like I said, wishful thinking on how many conservatives you think are going to vote for Obama. Your best hope in that area is a repeat performance of the 2006 midterms and that conservatives/Republicans just stay home.

Anyone calling themselves a conservative that votes for Obama is in fact, not a conservative, or they're pretty damned dumb. McCain's no peach. I have never liked him. He's STILL more conservative than Obama.

So you disagree with him completely, that whole first paragraph shows that no matter what he says you won't believe it.

And on the Republicans staying home, I remember seeing a link recently on this board that Democrat Registeration for voting is up and the GOP Registeration is down.

What I'm thinking though is how you can say anyone that votes for Obama is in fact, not a conservative but someone who votes for McCain could be a democrat? (If you are saying that is what I mean.)

E.. D

That's a given, there, however, do you think that some and i'm not saying all, are doing so now because it's the cool thing to do? I'm retired Military and I have to tell you it breaks my heart to see people stand in front of a Military Recruiters office and block the path and then call those brave men and women all sorts of vile trash. I would just rather they say nothing at all , it is not the soidier, sailor , or airmen that takes the country to war , it is they make the sacrifices, family, hardships, and some with their very lives. So this what I like to call protest culture, seems to have gotten to the point where, it's just i'm going to protest this or that , rather than try and change it. Did they ever stop to think, "wait , maybe if I signed up I can make a difference".Again I would never stop anyone from exercising their rights, but as I have said, a cause without reason is , a lost cause.

'65 thru 68', my Navy Pilot husband was stationed in Alameda, CA. I spent most of those three years there raising my toddler son alone. Husband was flying A1E's off an aircraft carrier somewhere around Nam. ... I wore a miniature set of gold wings set with a diamond, and I wore it proudly. However, those wings got me and my son some nasty jeers when we once toured the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco. We were followed closely, hippies getting right up in my face. ... I was terrified, my son was screaming his head off. No one hurt us... physically, and we never went back. But I remember thinking "Why the hell is my husband laying his life on the line while you do nothing dip shits are calling him filth? ... I knew why. So, I considered the source of my anger and moved on... but I've never forgotten.

I missed the relevance of this thread. If they have a right then allow them, our founders were the first protest group in America. Of course there may have been Indian protest group but we did a good job of killing those people. And does the author consider right wing protest groups as well? I'm especially thinking of the brown shirts that did not want a Florida recount and thus we have the current comic for president, the one republicans are now running from. Maybe you should have protested him and his war, imagine how many children would have had their dad tuck them in at night.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to destroy for future generations the natural beauty of Alaska and our coastlines.

I missed the relevance of this thread. If they have a right then allow them, our founders were the first protest group in America. Of course there may have been Indian protest group but we did a good job of killing those people. And does the author consider right wing protest groups as well? I'm especially thinking of the brown shirts that did not want a Florida recount and thus we have the current comic for president, the one republicans are now running from. Maybe you should have protested him and his war, imagine how many children would have had their dad tuck them in at night.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to destroy for future generations the natural beauty of Alaska and our coastlines.

Protested? that would have stopped the war ? I don't think so because people have been protesting--I don't think protesting is all that it's cracked up to be. I think you actually have some power or leverage for protests to work. ( It also helps if those protesting with you actually know what it is they are protesting. )

FDR delivered on his promises. When the country was rocked by the great depression after years of free-market, laissez-faire economics (sort of like we've had for the last thirty years), FDR promised to heal the economy and he did. He did it by soaking the rich! Whether Obama will do that or not is an open question but it can be done easily.

Raise the cap on social security from $100,000 to a million or so. Raise the estate tax so Paris Hilton has to give a little bit more back to the country that gave her family the opportunity to become wealthy. Raise capital gains taxes with some common-sense exceptions for small businesses, family farms, retirment plans, etc. Those are just off the top of my head and I'm no expert.

When exactly is it you want this country to go back to? The Cold War?

How about the fifties? Those were some Happy Days!

If they have a right then allow them, our founders were the first protest group in America.

Yeah, editec made this point earlier. The founders were not merely protesting but actually commiting acts of sedition; literally dissolving the political bands which connected them with Great Britain.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."

"these united Colonies are Free and Independent States, Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown..."

But who today would dare call it treason?

How about the fifties? Those were some Happy Days!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptP6snCIndk&feature=related]YouTube - Happy Days Tribute Theme Song[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIFBQ_gs1O8]YouTube - American Graffiti(1973)[/ame]

(I know it's 60's but still :lol:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEvy-9yVyQ]YouTube - Singing in the Rain[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAlzg0S51GY]YouTube - Rebel Without A Cause Trailer[/ame]

I used to attend protests to pick up chicks.

And if I happened to smash the state at the same time, so much the better.

Forum List

Back