A Note Of Gratitude

"most of the people during the vietnam era that were drafted came from poorer families, as far as i could tell. i detested those who attempted to evade the draft. many of them, who were so anti-war when they were draft eligible, as soon as they were deferred, could have cared less."

My husband AND his two brothers of similar age were each drafted. Their family was hardly 'poor' by any standards short of a millionaire's (PhD Chemist Dad worked for a large 'blue chip' chem company). Two did serve, one exempted for medical reasons (3 times).

I can only agree with you about the draft dodgers.

i implied none of what you seem to suggest i implied. most of the people i was with were about what the average civilian population was, intelligence wise.

I didn't mean to suggest that you per se had implied that. Very many effete 'liberal intellectuals' can and do imply and state such things outright. My husband and his brothers, like their Phi Beta Kappa parents, test 'in MENSA territory' (150+) and are far, far from 'average' by virtually any measurement except clothing sizes.

that middle class tradition usually comes from tthose whose ancestors came from poverty. many irish, native, and latino kids are in that category.

That's another subjective impression. Virtually everyone who went through the Depression was impoverished, lol! My husband's kin were 'gentleman farmers' who in the '30's and '40
's were sending their daughters to college. But the people to whom the military presented an unparalleled opportunity were like a couple officers we knew: one was a sharecropper's son who got his first pair of new shoes from the Army and collected all the education he could. Another grew up living 'Angela's Ashes' only in Brooklyn - and went to med school care of the military. Neither of those gents was near 'average' - though such stories are far from rare.

i enlisted in the middle of college myself. a lot of factors come into play. as far as i can tell, an e-1 today makes more than an e-1 of the vietnam era, adjusted...way, way, more.

But a person's only an E-1 through Basic.....or if they get busted down to that for selling off the food from the recruit's mess hall! When DH was serving in the Gulf, our military pay (E-8/over 16?) was only 2/3 of his nice civilian salary. It was tolerable, just barely, even with the tax-free status. He retired as an E-9/>30 which would be something like $72K/year as a full-time SALARY these days (NOT including the BAQ, which is probably another $1K/month)

By contrast, as an E-4/>2 we were making $7 too much per month to qualify for food stamps in Hawai'i about 35 years ago (but it was worth it to be there!!!!!)

Geez, I go on a Vet's thread and Large Marge is blabing away...Shouldn't you be in the coffee forum chewing on doughnuts ?

Last edited:
"most of the people during the vietnam era that were drafted came from poorer families, as far as i could tell. i detested those who attempted to evade the draft. many of them, who were so anti-war when they were draft eligible, as soon as they were deferred, could have cared less."

My husband AND his two brothers of similar age were each drafted. Their family was hardly 'poor' by any standards short of a millionaire's (PhD Chemist Dad worked for a large 'blue chip' chem company). Two did serve, one exempted for medical reasons (3 times).

I can only agree with you about the draft dodgers.

i implied none of what you seem to suggest i implied. most of the people i was with were about what the average civilian population was, intelligence wise.

I didn't mean to suggest that you per se had implied that. Very many effete 'liberal intellectuals' can and do imply and state such things outright. My husband and his brothers, like their Phi Beta Kappa parents, test 'in MENSA territory' (150+) and are far, far from 'average' by virtually any measurement except clothing sizes.

that middle class tradition usually comes from tthose whose ancestors came from poverty. many irish, native, and latino kids are in that category.

That's another subjective impression. Virtually everyone who went through the Depression was impoverished, lol! My husband's kin were 'gentleman farmers' who in the '30's and '40
's were sending their daughters to college. But the people to whom the military presented an unparalleled opportunity were like a couple officers we knew: one was a sharecropper's son who got his first pair of new shoes from the Army and collected all the education he could. Another grew up living 'Angela's Ashes' only in Brooklyn - and went to med school care of the military. Neither of those gents was near 'average' - though such stories are far from rare.

i enlisted in the middle of college myself. a lot of factors come into play. as far as i can tell, an e-1 today makes more than an e-1 of the vietnam era, adjusted...way, way, more.

But a person's only an E-1 through Basic.....or if they get busted down to that for selling off the food from the recruit's mess hall! When DH was serving in the Gulf, our military pay (E-8/over 16?) was only 2/3 of his nice civilian salary. It was tolerable, just barely, even with the tax-free status. He retired as an E-9/>30 which would be something like $72K/year as a full-time SALARY these days (NOT including the BAQ, which is probably another $1K/month)

By contrast, as an E-4/>2 we were making $7 too much per month to qualify for food stamps in Hawai'i about 35 years ago (but it was worth it to be there!!!!!)

yes, maggie, they are subective impressions, as are yours.

the exception, in this case, does not disprove the rule. your husband and his brothers were not the norm. there were very few well to do geniuses who were drafted.

you can remain an E-! long after basic and still be a good troop. i wasn't exactly paying attention, but i think you got a bump after four monhs in grade, but not rank,

most of the people during the vietnam era that were drafted came from poorer families, as far as i could tell. i detested those who attempted to evade the draft. many of them, who were so anti-war when they were draft eligible, as soon as they were deferred, could have cared less.

so what were you doin in west belfast, seal??

not escapin the yankee nam draft....

IRA???? Sinn Fein?? Civil Rights Movement...SDLP??? just lookin? Tourist?

Probably shopping for a new goat. :D

what the hell would i need a goat for.

...you should probably take the goat reference as a reliable indication of the sexual eccentricities of both Hoss-face and Sprayit...almost immediately I too was assailed with goat references. My take?: both of these burn-outs enjoy separate fantasies about fkg goats...anal and oral considerations abound. by comparison the run-of-the-mill Zionists are almost normal
Goats are great mine detectors. Ayrabs should use them rather than children.

...you should probably take the goat reference as a reliable indication of the sexual eccentricities of both Hoss-face and Sprayit...almost immediately I too was assailed with goat references. My take?: both of these burn-outs enjoy separate fantasies about fkg goats...anal and oral considerations abound. by comparison the run-of-the-mill Zionists are almost normal

I submit that both you and Sayit know an awful lot about goats....far more than the average person...shall we probe deeper-------no pun intended....LMFAO!!!!!!!!
Then you're serious? Remind me to keep my goats penned. Nobody probes my goats unless they propose marriage.

I submit that both you and Sayit know an awful lot about goats....far more than the average person...shall we probe deeper-------no pun intended....LMFAO!!!!!!!!
Then you're serious? Remind me to keep my goats penned. Nobody probes my goats unless they propose marriage.

what the hell ae you talking about? how do you probe a goat? ask it questions? there aren't a lot of goats in belfast. why do you want someone to propose marriage to you?

what the hell ae you talking about? how do you probe a goat? ask it questions? there aren't a lot of goats in belfast. why do you want someone to propose marriage to you?
Not to me. To the goat.

Not to me. To the goat.

ok, why do you want hank to propose marriage to your goat? people don't marry goats.

Not to me. To the goat.

ok, why do you want hank to propose marriage to your goat? people don't marry goats.

...an obvious case of overt projection on the part of Hoss-face and SPRAYIT....I would assume---under normative social customs---that sharing such disturbing fantasies online was a definite no-no...but perhaps I'm just old-fashioned in this respect...so in the spirit of broad acceptance I'll ask either Hoss or Sayit how it feels to be balls-deep in a goat....LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
But, Skitzo, we all know that you are ball less. If by chance you were ever drafted, you would be one of the first to run to Canada. Why not fly over to your friendly Muslim friends and try to ride a camel. That would be more your style. Be sure to take some pictures so that you can post them here and we will all be laughing hysterically at your attempt. It will probably be the only action you have had in a long, long time.

Not to me. To the goat.

Well in this case the guy had to marry his goat, so why not Skitzo?
A Sudanese Man Really Did Marry a Goat (PHOTO)

...an obvious case of overt projection on the part of Hoss-face and SPRAYIT....I would assume---under normative social customs---that sharing such disturbing fantasies online was a definite no-no...but perhaps I'm just old-fashioned in this respect...so in the spirit of broad acceptance I'll ask either Hoss or Sayit how it feels to be balls-deep in a goat....LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
But, Skitzo, we all know that you are ball less. If by chance you were ever drafted, you would be one of the first to run to Canada. Why not fly over to your friendly Muslim friends and try to ride a camel. That would be more your style. Be sure to take some pictures so that you can post them here and we will all be laughing hysterically at your attempt. It will probably be the only action you have had in a long, long time.

tell you one thing goat-boy....no way I could be wrangled into a trumped-up war in southeast Asia, dropping napalm on impoverished villagers, and calling it an honorable service to my country...when an enemy starts landing troops on Coney Island I'll be first in line to take up arms---but I ain't dumb enough to turn my life over to some politician's war....
When that happenns,give me a call and I'll wire you the money for a one-way to Canada. Be glad to get rid of your cowardly carcass.

i was born at the onset of wwii and my formative years were overwhelmed by the war. All my relatives and neighbors were involved in the wars and anyone with kith and kin kept maps with colored pins to mark the progress of their loved ones. I can't remember when i did not want to serve my country as i felt it was my duty. And so i've been serving the country to this day and i don't regret one second. My current projects are greeting returning troops at the airport uso, transporting vets from their homes to the va clinics, donating to wwp and collecting for needy military families. Duty, honor, country.
hossy

so bloody sad that no yank ever read the history of afghanistan or learned anything

so many includin brits........4 times in the 19th century, the soviets etc tried and failed to occuoy those pathans................it just cannot be done

what usa did post 9/11 was highly intelligent gettin the taliban out

since then so many usa brits and others' lives have been wasted for no reason that will last long

very very sad...dont you feel when you meet the poor bloody infantry as we call them in uk

who suffer for the fools that sent them stupidly to their fates

...by all indication you need to learn history you mindless flute....whom do you imagine set the taliban free to occupy the afghan government---that's right simpleton---the reganites of the 80's openly courted the most radical element of islam, the mujehadin, the cia trained them, armed them and financed them....fast-forward 20 years and the same cretins responsible are warning us of the dangers of radical islam...al qeada ain't the enemy---the real enemy occupies the white house....moron
i know all that and have said it here, too

and have forgotten much much more than you will ever know

I HAVE A HISTORY DEGREE FROM A TOP UK UNIVERSITY AND WAS A HISTORY TEACHER

try again, codgie baby

Last edited:
tell you one thing goat-boy....no way i could be wrangled into a trumped-up war in southeast asia, dropping napalm on impoverished villagers, and calling it an honorable service to my country...when an enemy starts landing troops on coney island i'll be first in line to take up arms---but i ain't dumb enough to turn my life over to some politician's war....
when that happenns,give me a call and i'll wire you the money for a one-way to canada. Be glad to get rid of your cowardly carcass.

which one of us is a coward hoss? I can proudly say i didn't participate in a mass-slaughter in indochina----you did. Care to guess how many vietnamese, cambodians and laotians were buried by the proud u.s. War-machine? You're a bona-fide coward and terrorist dude...feel the pride
you dont know how many DEAD , ignoramus

3 million vietnamese alone is the answer, dumb schmuck

well codgie you are far less intelligent than the average goat....or even the average zionist either which is quite difficult

so i guess you missed out on getting fucked

pity.....might have knocked some sense into your dumb ass

Last edited:
tell you one thing goat-boy....no way I could be wrangled into a trumped-up war in southeast Asia, dropping napalm on impoverished villagers, and calling it an honorable service to my country...when an enemy starts landing troops on Coney Island I'll be first in line to take up arms---but I ain't dumb enough to turn my life over to some politician's war....
When that happenns,give me a call and I'll wire you the money for a one-way to Canada. Be glad to get rid of your cowardly carcass.

which one of us is a coward Hoss? I can proudly say I didn't participate in a mass-slaughter in IndoChina----you did. Care to guess how many Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians were buried by the proud U.S. war-machine? You're a bona-fide coward and terrorist dude...feel the pride
It really doesn't matter to me . We were told to kill 'em and let God sort 'em out.

what you notably omit in your casual denunciation of those "young fools chanting "no blood for oil" was the simple fact that they were right on the money!!!!....when everyone else was lapping up the cheesy propaganda spun out of the Bush/Cheney administration, those of us who had the balls to reject it were typically demonized in the media...very much the same way that the OWS movement was demonized. It is an astonishing doctrinal victory to actually induce the public to support issues that actually place them at a disadvantage...to this end those who dare to express dissent are excoriated irrespective of the legitimacy and relative accuracy of their message....
hunter the peaceniks were right about WW1...it was a stoopid war

wrong about WW2..that was a just war you should have been in not leaving us brits alone to fight hitler for 2 years

no blood for oil is too simple, I agree, and not accurate, either

the stupidest peace slogan i saw in hawaii during the kuwait war by our dyke sisters

READ MY LIPS; READ MY LABIA
US OUT OF SAUDI ARABIA

some times the peace niks are right; others wrong

neither you nor codgie seem able to exercise any discrimination at all

it aint black or white y'know

WW2 was a "just war""????? Why------because a monstrous colonial power like Great Britain was finally getting its just -deserts after successive centuries of piracy, looting and mass-murder???? FK EM !!!!!!
splodgi codgie dodgie ............you just shot your final bolt you nazi loving coward

i hate the british empire too...say what you like about us brits; i dont mind at all

but that crap you just talked was the last straw.......you just struck out as they say in yankee english

artful you are not in the slightest tiniest degree; the zionuts are far more artful than thou

dodger not codger you are...the cowardliest kinda dodger

all out attack from now on you fuckwit

see if you can dodge a few highly uinpleasant truths you will be gettin from this kvetch.............in this or any other screen name

Last edited:
...by all indication you need to learn history you mindless flute....whom do you imagine set the taliban free to occupy the afghan government---that's right simpleton---the reganites of the 80's openly courted the most radical element of islam, the mujehadin, the cia trained them, armed them and financed them....fast-forward 20 years and the same cretins responsible are warning us of the dangers of radical islam...al qeada ain't the enemy---the real enemy occupies the white house....moron
i know all that and have said it here, too

and have forgotten much much more than you will ever know

I HAVE A HISTORY DEGREE FROM A TOP UK UNIVERSITY AND WAS A HISTORY TEACHER

try again, codgie baby

LOL !!!!!!! sorry stupid---but the positioning of History teacher and Zionist don't exactly reconcile....again, if I laugh any harder at this point it will become a medical issue...:lol:
You'll laugh like a hyena when that kidney stone starts it's journey.

Well in this case the guy had to marry his goat, so why not Skitzo?
A Sudanese Man Really Did Marry a Goat (PHOTO)

give it up Hoss-face, your secret is out....you don't really come here to discuss Palestine, so much as biting down on your goat's ear in the throes of passion...perhaps you should open a petting-zoo...????
Why, Skitzo, I thought a goat similar to that one would be right up your alley. The Bronx Zoo is calling you. They want you to choose one of their goats to marry or at least date a few times a week. You can put the goat, if she is small enough, in your shopping cart with your worldly possessions and trudge back to Manhattan with her. Maybe you can sneak her in to the public library while you are busy on the computers there.

which one of us is a coward Hoss? I can proudly say I didn't participate in a mass-slaughter in IndoChina----you did. Care to guess how many Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians were buried by the proud U.S. war-machine? You're a bona-fide coward and terrorist dude...feel the pride
Remember, Skitzo, we want you to post lots of pictures of you and the camel, your new paramour. Meanwhile, are you back to your same song and dance? If the enemy happened to be on our shore attacking us, a wuss like you would either be under his bed or hiding in the closet. Act as brave as you want on a message board, Skitzo, but I think many of the readers have your number.

lol !!!!!!! Sorry stupid---but the positioning of history teacher and zionist don't exactly reconcile....again, if i laugh any harder at this point it will become a medical issue...:lol:
you'll laugh like a hyena when that kidney stone starts it's journey.

sorry pops, but i'm not part of the geritol-set yet....still somewhat youthful...still catch glances from girls some twenty years younger than me....its all good
Of course the younger women give you glances, glances filled with pity at a youngish guy pushing a shopping cart instead of having a job.

Forum List

Back