A New Constitution?

Rewrite the constitution? No way shape or form. Follow the constitution is more the ticket.

It's not perfect and there are some minor changes that might be needed, but on a scale of 1 to 100 I'd give it at least a 97.

We can change our constitution, it is not an easy process, and it was designed that way. That is one of the greatest things about it.

I disagree; the practitioners of government (politicians if you will) were once public spirited and placed that spirit above politics. That spirit is dead. So every loophole is exploited.

When and where was this?

Rewrite the constitution? No way shape or form. Follow the constitution is more the ticket.

It's not perfect and there are some minor changes that might be needed, but on a scale of 1 to 100 I'd give it at least a 97.

We can change our constitution, it is not an easy process, and it was designed that way. That is one of the greatest things about it.

Write your own laws? Thank you very much.
One big shotgun says everyone shut the fuck up.
Thx.
:eusa_angel:

I disagree; the practitioners of government (politicians if you will) were once public spirited and placed that spirit above politics. That spirit is dead. So every loophole is exploited.

While I totally agree with your statement...the problem isn't the Constitution...it's the politicians that need changing.

I disagree.

Let me tell you why.

So we replace all of the current 538 congressional members with new ones; the rules that lead to the abuses in the first place are still there. Change the rules and the abuses go away.

Filling 538 jobs will probably yield at lest 53 to 106 (10-20 percent) that are on the take; either overtly or in the shadows.

The President will still be able to send troops anywhere he wants without anyone's approval.

The Congress can still spend whatever it wants

The law should be privatized. The whole concept of "citizenship" is absurd.

However, statists love to construct boundaries that prevent us from our humanity.

The reason is we have a national constitution is because the states could not settle a darn thing. You can still see that today, we'd have 50 small nations, some would be in the 15th century, a few in 18th, and so on. Look at what NY did, they recognized the rights of gays, then look at Kansas they removed a women's right to make her own personal decisions. Money and special interests rule America today, we have become a plutocracy because of the very things Lincoln and Eisenhower warned the nation about. But communities are created in the community and life is better in parts of the nation than in others because their narrative is one of we are all in this together. It is shame Obama does have the background of an FDR who could bring together enough good people and had the guts to talk back to money power. If I wished for any changes to a pretty vague - but because of that - great document, it would be to give the president six or seven years period, get rid of the electoral process, and have the scotus follow the rules of ethics as all reasonable and honest people do. Today presidential passivity is an election consequence, people may vote if they knew it mattered, and our SC is full of corporatist buffoons who speak well but have no human values.

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." Quote DB :: Speeches :: George Washington :: George Washington's Farewell Address Speech

I think it's time we write a new constitution for the USA. Our old one is outdated, and doesn't really apply to our times now. What are your thoughts?

I think that the Consitution of the US, thanks to a few key decisions by the SCOTUS, has now become the social-legal philosophical smokescreen leading this nation into a neo-feudalist society.

While I totally agree with your statement...the problem isn't the Constitution...it's the politicians that need changing.

The Constitution allows for that too.

It's called a vote.

Try it sometime.

Or ignored totally.

Yeah..by your heroes Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. The biggest oath breakers in American History.
Try Obama...:eusa_hand::eusa_liar:

Obama colluded with an enemy state to hold American hostages to win an election, when exactly? Oh wait a minute..that wasn't Obama..that was Ronald Reagan!

Obama lied about WMD's and Terrorism to attack a country not a threat or involved in hostile activities against this nation, when exactly? Oh wait a minute..that wasn't Obama..that was George W. Bush!

Obama supported terrorists in Central America in direct violation of the vote of Congress when exactly? Oh wait a minute..that wasn't Obama..that was Ronald Reagan!

Obama spied on American citizens, when exactly? Oh wait a minute...that wasn't Obama..that was George W. Bush!

I think it's time we write a new constitution for the USA. Our old one is outdated, and doesn't really apply to our times now. What are your thoughts?

Suddenly we're getting a few threads on this very topic. Must be just another wingnut talking point.

Forum List

Back