A Minority against developing scientific consensus on Climate Change/100 Authors against Einstein

Procrustes Stretched

"live long & prosper" reply "peace and long life"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
A Minority against developing scientific consensus on Climate Change/100 Authors against Einstein

Bloggers and Novel Writers like Michael Crichton who are arguing against the phrase scientific consensus are NOT scientists putting forth a new scientific theory, they are deniers of a new theory that has built a new consensus -- backed up by scientific data. Framing the debate over climate science as one over the use of a phrase such as scientific consensus is specious at best

"100 Authors against Einstein". His response was "If I were wrong, one would be enough."
It is amusing to see deniers use this out of context and misread what exactly it was all about. There was a building consensus around Einstein's ideas.

very funny posts: some guy on a blog, name of Gordon, writes: "People concerned about global warming like to point to the question of consensus. I tend to think that in the area of forecasting 100 year trends, in climate or otherwise, it is not something of more than marginal significance."

martin shields replies...

Hello Gordon, I just stumbled across this, and it is wrong on so many level. The "100 authors" document was basically Nazi propaganda designed to discredit Jewish scientists and, of course, Einstein was a major target. Einstein had already received widespread recognition for his work before this was published (he received the 1921 Nobel Prize). By the 1920s Einstein's fame was growing.

So what we have in the 1931 document is a minority arguing against the developing scientific consensus on Einstein's work for quite unscientific reasons. If we're going to draw parallels, I think you have things the wrong way around here!

-------

Gordon Cheng replies...

I acknowledge what you say about the context, Martin, which I indicate in my post by noting the year in which the tract was published. The quote applies to the climate change debate, in my opinion, but for different reasons. And the analogy to the speed of light issue works, surely. Before Einstein, there was a settled consensus that was subsequently overturned by the appearance of new theories that better explained the observed data, which in any case was less complete than it was after the solar eclipse that proved Einstein's theories.

Perhaps quoting quotes is a practice more honoured in the breach than the observance ;-)

(to quote another quote that has burst the bounds of its original context)

28 July 2007 at 08:10

Gordon Cheng s blog Scientific consensus and Einstein
I would agree that the consensus itself in the area of forecasting 100 year trends on global warming may be of marginal significance, but this doesn't in any way refute the science behind the consensus. After all it was the original Global Warming scientists who were the outliers who like Einstein took a decade or two to build the NEW consensus.

Even Wikipedia gets it correct:

If I were wrong, then one would have been enough![4]
According to Goenner, the contributions to the book are a mixture of mathematical–physical incompetence, hubris, and the feelings of the critics of being suppressed by contemporary physicists advocating for the new theory. The compilation of the authors show, Goenner continues, that this was not a reaction within the physics community—only one physicist (Karl Strehl) and three mathematicians (Jean-Marie Le Roux, Emanuel Lasker and Hjalmar Mellin) were present—but an inadequate reaction of the academic educated citizenship, which didn't know what to do with relativity.​

Within the physics community there was an overwhelming consensus as is the case in the Climate Science community. Climate Science is not regarded as bunk by critics, it is the global warming argument(s). If the overwhelming majority of Climate scientists agree with the basic premises of global warming, they are more akin to the scientists in physics who agreed with Einstein.

The current debate is one obfuscated and manipulated by interests against doing something about global warming at the current time because of financial and ideological concerns. The arguments against are NOT scientifically based and/or peer reviewed...
Criticism of the theory of relativity - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"If the overwhelming majority of Climate scientists agree with the basic premises of global warming,"

link?

"If the overwhelming majority of Climate scientists agree with the basic premises of global warming,"

link?
get a clue

when one is asked to link to known facts...

:eek:

This fact?

Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring 97-Percent Consensus Claims - Forbes

"Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring '97-Percent Consensus' Claims"
refute one single fact on the NASA web site: Climate Change Vital Signs of the Planet Evidence

Dante, they have the lie about the "majority" of scientists right on their front freaking page. They've cushioned their language but its still a screaming lie about scientific consensus about climate change being man made and dangerous.

As pointed out in this article.

"Last week Secretary of State John Kerry warned graduating students at Boston College of the "crippling consequences" of climate change.

"Ninety-seven percent of the world's scientists," he added, "tell us this is urgent."

Where did Mr. Kerry get the 97% figure? Perhaps from his boss, President Obama, who tweeted on May 16 that "Ninety-seven percent of scientists agree: #climate change is real, man-made and dangerous."

Or maybe from NASA, which posted (in more measured language) on its website, "Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities."

Yet the assertion that 97% of scientists believe that climate change is a man-made, urgent problem is a fiction.

The so-called consensus comes from a handful of surveys and abstract-counting exercises that have been contradicted by more reliable research"

Joseph Bast and Roy Spencer The Myth of the Climate Change 97 - WSJ

http://sciencepolicy.agu.org/files/2013/07/AGU-Climate-Change-Position-Statement_August-2013.pdf

Impacts harmful to society, including increased extremes of heat, precipitation, and coastal
high water are currently being experienced, and are projected to increase. Other projected
outcomes involve threats to public health, water availability, agricultural productivity
(particularly in low‐latitude developing countries), and coastal infrastructure, though some
benefits may be seen at some times and places. Biodiversity loss is expected to accelerate
due to both climate change and acidification of the oceans, which is a direct result of
increasing carbon dioxide levels.
While important scientific uncertainties remain as to which particular impacts will be
experienced where, no uncertainties are known that could make the impacts of climate
change inconsequential. Furthermore, surprise outcomes, such as the unexpectedly rapid
loss of Arctic summer sea ice, may entail even more dramatic changes than anticipated.
Actions that could diminish the threats posed by climate change to society and ecosystems
include substantial emissions cuts to reduce the magnitude of climate change, as well as
preparing for changes that are now unavoidable. The community of scientists has
responsibilities to improve overall understanding of climate change and its impacts.
Improvements will come from pursuing the research needed to understand climate change,
working with stakeholders to identify relevant information, and conveying understanding
clearly and accurately, both to decision makers and to the general public.

The American Geophysical Union has more scientists in it dealing with climate than any other Scientific Society on this planet. And, by the way, there is not a single Scientific Society that contests AGW, and all but one state that AGW is a fact, and a clear and present danger. Now I can post policy statements from these Scientific Societies all day long, for there are a good number of them around the world. But you will not even find one in Outer Slobovia that will state that AGW is not real.

Forum List

Back