A Libertarian's look at Christmas

I was wrong, libertarians are this soulless. I can't wait til they rewrite Rudolph.
LOL

As for that one lump of coal Scrooge allows him, it bears emphasis that Cratchit has not been chained to his chilly desk. If he stays there, he shows by his behavior that he prefers his present wages-plus-comfort package to any other he has found, or supposes himself likely to find. Actions speak louder than grumbling, and the reader can hardly complain about what Cratchit evidently finds satisfactory.
More notorious even than his miserly ways are Scrooge's cynical words. "Are there no prisons," he jibes when solicited for charity, "and the Union workhouses?"
Terrible, right? Lacking in compassion?
Not necessarily. As Scrooge observes, he supports those institutions with his taxes. Already forced to help those who can't or won't help themselves, it is not unreasonable for him to balk at volunteering additional funds for their extra comfort.

Spoof or not, this thread shows to what lengths some posters will go to rationalize greed and selfishness.

Last edited:
Remember, Jesus would like for you all to hoard your money instead of giving to the poor. :eusa_whistle:

I was wrong, libertarians are this soulless. I can't wait til they rewrite Rudolph.
LOL

As for that one lump of coal Scrooge allows him, it bears emphasis that Cratchit has not been chained to his chilly desk. If he stays there, he shows by his behavior that he prefers his present wages-plus-comfort package to any other he has found, or supposes himself likely to find. Actions speak louder than grumbling, and the reader can hardly complain about what Cratchit evidently finds satisfactory.
More notorious even than his miserly ways are Scrooge's cynical words. "Are there no prisons," he jibes when solicited for charity, "and the Union workhouses?"
Terrible, right? Lacking in compassion?
Not necessarily. As Scrooge observes, he supports those institutions with his taxes. Already forced to help those who can't or won't help themselves, it is not unreasonable for him to balk at volunteering additional funds for their extra comfort.

Spoof or not, this thread shows to what lengths some posters will go to rationalize their greed and selfishness.

No it doesn't. The author of this article probably does not post on this message board.

Guys, don't mind Ravi. She's being her typical pretentious self, and most likely doesn't think this harshly about libertarians at all.

She makes it a habit to pick on everyone but today's 'liberal'. It defines her existence around here.

It's not social darwinism to say that a man has a right to keep his own property. But as the article notes, perhaps Scrooge would be more charitable if he wasn't being taxed to provide charity by the government.

I'm speaking in general terms, not specific ones. We as a species.

And have you ever read that story? Scrooge wouldn't be more charitable because Scrooge is a greedy fuck.

This is why it would truly behoove our society to feed libertarians to the poor.
Give a starving man a libertarian ... and you've given him a free lunch.
Catch a libertarian ... and you can sell it to a starving man.
Teach a man how to catch libertarians ... and you've ruined your business opportunity.

Just let the liberals have their opinion, Kev.

I mean, I must be some kind of anomaly. I'm a libertarian and I donated a turkey to a charity drive being held by my local modern rock radio station.

Also, we regularly go through our children's toys and donate the ones that don't get played with anymore to those who are less fortunate. And clothing as well.

I also spent an entire morning and half an afternoon to make a beef stew to take to my church for a 'soup party' a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can tone down my greed? I'm feeling awfully guilty about it these days. :rolleyes:

It's not social darwinism to say that a man has a right to keep his own property. But as the article notes, perhaps Scrooge would be more charitable if he wasn't being taxed to provide charity by the government.

I'm speaking in general terms, not specific ones. We as a species.

And have you ever read that story? Scrooge wouldn't be more charitable because Scrooge is a greedy fuck.

That's the idea you're supposed to get from the story obviously, but in real life the government has removed the incentive to be charitable by forcing us to be charitable through our unbearably high taxes.

I mean, I must be some kind of anomaly. I'm a libertarian and I donated a turkey to a charity drive being held by my local modern rock radio station.

Also, we regularly go through our children's toys and donate the ones that don't get played with anymore to those who are less fortunate. And clothing as well.

I also spent an entire morning and half an afternoon to make a beef stew to take to my church for a 'soup party' a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can tone down my greed? I'm feeling awfully guilty about it these days. :rolleyes:

If you're referring to me Paulie, I was joking. People are way too serious lately.

That's the idea you're supposed to get from the story obviously, but in real life the government has removed the incentive to be charitable by forcing us to be charitable through our unbearably high taxes.

Unbearably high taxes? As compared to whom and when? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. Just wondering your standard.

If you're referring to me Paulie, I was joking. People are way too serious lately.

Not you, bro. I know you're a little smarter than to lump all libertarians into one tiny label complete with the scarlet A 'greed' stamp.

Don't think I haven't noticed you move ever so slightly right on some issues lately :cool:

Not you, bro. I know you're a little smarter than to lump all libertarians into one tiny label complete with the scarlet A 'greed' stamp.

Don't think I haven't noticed you move ever so slightly right on some issues lately :cool:

:eusa_shhh: Blowing my cover. :lol:

And only a little smarter huh? :eusa_eh: :eek:

Unbearably high taxes? As compared to whom and when? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. Just wondering your standard.

Well I consider any income tax unbearably high since I don't believe the government has the right to force us to work for them. But the more the government spends the more it inevitably has to tax, in one form or another, and our current spending levels mean we're going to see even higher taxes than we're suffering under now.

Well I consider any income tax unbearably high since I don't believe the government has the right to force us to work for them. But the more the government spends the more it inevitably has to tax, in one form or another, and our current spending levels mean we're going to see even higher taxes than we're suffering under now.

That's not any actual standard. That's just saying any income tax is unbearably high. And while I have watched Freedom to Fascism and agree that the Income tax is most likely illegal. My question to you is this, do you believe in any taxes at all?

Because saying Scrooge isn't responsible for Hatchet makes us soulless?

I'd call Scrooge a jerk but he isn't doing anything immoral.

Forum List

Back