A Libertarian's look at Christmas

Well I consider any income tax unbearably high since I don't believe the government has the right to force us to work for them. But the more the government spends the more it inevitably has to tax, in one form or another, and our current spending levels mean we're going to see even higher taxes than we're suffering under now.

That's not any actual standard. That's just saying any income tax is unbearably high. And while I have watched Freedom to Fascism and agree that the Income tax is most likely illegal. My question to you is this, do you believe in any taxes at all?

Not really. But I'm not an anarchist, so I recognize that some taxation is necessary to fund the legitimate functions of government.

Just let the liberals have their opinion, Kev.

I mean, I must be some kind of anomaly. I'm a libertarian and I donated a turkey to a charity drive being held by my local modern rock radio station.

Also, we regularly go through our children's toys and donate the ones that don't get played with anymore to those who are less fortunate. And clothing as well.

I also spent an entire morning and half an afternoon to make a beef stew to take to my church for a 'soup party' a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can tone down my greed? I'm feeling awfully guilty about it these days. :rolleyes:

Well for starters you could rep me and bones more. :tongue:

Well I consider any income tax unbearably high since I don't believe the government has the right to force us to work for them. But the more the government spends the more it inevitably has to tax, in one form or another, and our current spending levels mean we're going to see even higher taxes than we're suffering under now.

That's not any actual standard. That's just saying any income tax is unbearably high. And while I have watched Freedom to Fascism and agree that the Income tax is most likely illegal. My question to you is this, do you believe in any taxes at all?

The constitution clearly authorizes specific forms of taxation.

I'm sure you know the pertinent areas within it that lay it out.

Not really. But I'm not an anarchist, so I recognize that some taxation is necessary to fund the legitimate functions of government.

Considering it is the Government's job for specific things, taxes are needed. I don't think we should have things like prisons for example be privately owned. Or the Military be privately run either.

The constitution clearly authorizes specific forms of taxation.

I'm sure you know the pertinent areas within it that lay it out.

I know this. I saw Kevin make a certain comment in another thread just now though that made me wonder whether he believed in any taxes at all.

Considering it is the Government's job for specific things, taxes are needed. I don't think we should have things like prisons for example be privately owned. Or the Military be privately run either.

Privatizing prisons would be good, in my opinion. The military is another factor, and probably the only thing I don't believe the market could provide in any significant way.

I mean, I must be some kind of anomaly. I'm a libertarian and I donated a turkey to a charity drive being held by my local modern rock radio station.

Also, we regularly go through our children's toys and donate the ones that don't get played with anymore to those who are less fortunate. And clothing as well.

I also spent an entire morning and half an afternoon to make a beef stew to take to my church for a 'soup party' a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can tone down my greed? I'm feeling awfully guilty about it these days. :rolleyes:
Paulie, your actions haven't proved that libertarians can be charitable, what they prove is that the old maxim, "Those with the least to give, give the most" is true.

No, the military should be a government entity. But of course, that is clearly stated in the constitution.

But why can't prisons be private, just out of curiosity? My state privatized the DMV and now not only are the employees NICE, but instead of spending all day there just to register your vehicle like it always was, you're in and out in 10 minutes now.

When there's profit incentive, there's efficiency incentive.

Paulie, your actions haven't proved that libertarians can be charitable, what they prove is that the old maxim, "Those with the least to give, give the most" is true.

So you don't believe that a libertarian being charitable proves that libertarians can be charitable? And you don't believe that libertarians can be charitable, ever?

Privatizing prisons would be good, in my opinion. The military is another factor, and probably the only thing I don't believe the market could provide in any significant way.

Privatizing prisons would not be good. Are you kidding me? Private Prisons are sparking the War on Drugs that all Libertarians should be against as more and more stories such as these come out:

Judges jailed for taking bribes from private juvie prisons to send kids to jail - Boing Boing

Yes, relying on mercenaries to defend our National Security is a great idea. It worked well for Tuscany's city/states. :cuckoo:

Privatizing prisons would not be good. Are you kidding me? Private Prisons are sparking the War on Drugs that all Libertarians should be against as more and more stories such as these come out:

Judges jailed for taking bribes from private juvie prisons to send kids to jail - Boing Boing

You'll have people trying to game any system that can be devised. But that's not an argument against more efficient private prisons.

First of all, I don't have the 'least to give'. I'm not rich by any means, but even if I was I'd probably give more than you would think.

There are many wealthy philanthropists. Buffet and Gates come to mind immediately.

Yes, relying on mercenaries to defend our National Security is a great idea. It worked well for Tuscany's city/states. :cuckoo:

Try some reading comprehension, I said that I don't believe the market could provide for national defense.

You'll have people trying to game any system that can be devised. But that's not an argument against more efficient private prisons.

Sorry, but you won't see me agreeing to a private company partly running our Justice system. In every area that the private companies get their tentacles on, they pervert it.

This is people's lives you're playing with here. Never mind the whole idea that the private prison system is driving the War on Drugs to be ramped up further.

But why can't prisons be private, just out of curiosity? My state privatized the DMV and now not only are the employees NICE, but instead of spending all day there just to register your vehicle like it always was, you're in and out in 10 minutes now.

It doesn't trouble you that the power to give out personal and private info to anyone who records the license plate number of another motorist now lies in the hands of business owners and their employees?

No, the military should be a government entity. But of course, that is clearly stated in the constitution.

Look at my last post on this page. Again, the DMV and Prison are apples and oranges. Again, Ang brought up a good point about information too.

Forum List

Back