A hometown example of the necessity of gun rights

Yes. I studied under a white instructor in Upstate NY. That doesn't negate or belittle what I was taught and those previously mentioned precepts are a good code of ethics as well.

Bit defensive, aren't we? What you're saying is you learned some bastardized, Americanized version of an Asian martial art.

Kenpo happens to be the name given to most hard-style Okinawan martial arts that are based on one strike one kill. Doesn't quite reconcile with you "never kill" theory.

Martial arts origniated as a form of exercise and a means of self-defense by unarmed monks against armed bandits and "never kill" was not part of the equation.

As far as ethics go, you need to spend a little more time practicing yours instead of preaching them. Martial arts also teaches one wisdom, clrity of vision and honesty. I have seen little of any from you.

Gunny, how many home invasions in the US involve automatic weapons? Who has access to an M-16?

You can buy one at the local gunstore and order the automatic sear through a catalogue and it will take just about however long those transactions take to own one.

In case you've missed it, criminals aren't carrying black powder revolvers.

Be that as it may, ANY function firearm gives a criminal a distinct advantage of you ... one you cannot overcome with false bravado and some martial arts training.

The M-16 was an example weapon only. Criminals obtain automatic weapons by hook or crook. Just in case you've missed that one too.

No, the MYTH is that you are remotely capable of fending off an attacker with a gun by using martial arts better than by using your own gun. Just so you know, there is no bullet blocking dit da jow either.

You may never need a gun because you are never in the same situation that the above 19 year old kid was in. I hope you never have to face that kind of situation and can keep on being the martial arts badass. Hell, I enjoyed the white guy kung fu fantasy of the late 70s and early 80s too. I assure you, though, that your particular examples really isn't applicable to the greater pattern of criminal deterrence.

In regards to your stat... I'm willing to bet that home intruders are fended off more with the use of firearms than martial arts. If your hands are the only protection your fam is worth then so be it. This is America you have every ounce of prerogative to believe the way you do. However, given the specific examples I"VE posted of rampant criminal behaviour I'll be over here in Missouri with a gun.

Police searching for suspect who shot Tae Kwon Do instructor

http://web1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI67628/

C'mon now Sho ... for the right price I can teach you the ancient Chinese secret to blocking bullets.:lol:

yea.. I was never under the impression that we were supposed to do anything other than destroy an attacker with Kempo. We used to taunt students of Tae Kwon Do with the comparable lethality of our martial art compared to theirs. We never did very well in tourneys because everything we learned maimed instead of scored points. Kempo is not the flower child of Martial Arts. Indeed, Gunny's got it right on with the Americanized crossover that it is. Hell, the very word is a Japanese translation of a Chinese word!

Because of course the police will arrive in time, right? Or you will wrestle them to death I suppose? People like you who have irrational fears of firearms are the problem.

I am not afraid of firearms, I have no need for them. Why do you?

There are plenty of reasons to own firearms. For the purpose of this discussion, that would be self-defense. Also, for the purpose of this discussion, home invaders do NOT bring knives as their primary weapons. They use firearms.

The fact is, you will probably not be as well armed as them anyway and still have a legal firearm, but with NO firearm you have NO chance. You're nothing but a victim awaiting the crime.

:eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: The same reason I have a reason to own: Auto insurance, Home insurance, Life insurance, Health insurance, Flood insurance, A garden hose, a wrench, ascrew driver, a pair of pliers, a hammer, a nail, a saw, a dishwasher, a sink, a toilet, a refridgerator, a belt, a pair of shoes, a computer, a pair of scisors, a desk, a pair of pants, a door knob, a hanger, a vehicle, a spare tire, a jack, a knife, a fork, a spoon, a blender, a toaster, a microwave, a vacume cleaner, a clock, a watch, and in this case and this thread and you LOTS AND LOTS OF ASPRIN! iT IS A TOOL TO BE USED IF THE RIGHT SITUATION PRESENTS ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also innacurate. You will learn quick around here if you spout bull shit, until you can back it up, it's just that.

You know what? You were right on this one. I read a peer-reviewed article a long time ago that proved what I said.

I found some sources that held the same contention and they were very biased. I have to withdraw my remark.

Although, I will say this. Of all the rednecks I have met and spoken to, and after reading through this thread, it almost seems common sense that to own a gun makes some of you (and some other people I have met) more likely to shoot another human being.

No, the MYTH is that you are remotely capable of fending off an attacker with a gun by using martial arts better than by using your own gun. Just so you know, there is no bullet blocking dit da jow either.

You may never need a gun because you are never in the same situation that the above 19 year old kid was in. I hope you never have to face that kind of situation and can keep on being the martial arts badass. Hell, I enjoyed the white guy kung fu fantasy of the late 70s and early 80s too. I assure you, though, that your particular examples really isn't applicable to the greater pattern of criminal deterrence.

In regards to your stat... I'm willing to bet that home intruders are fended off more with the use of firearms than martial arts. If your hands are the only protection your fam is worth then so be it. This is America you have every ounce of prerogative to believe the way you do. However, given the specific examples I"VE posted of rampant criminal behaviour I'll be over here in Missouri with a gun.

Police searching for suspect who shot Tae Kwon Do instructor

http://web1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI67628/

I never said I was a bad ass. I only mentioned martial arts because A) the tenets that I previously mentioned that make up my code of ethics and B) because there are joint locks and weapons techniques that can help in some situations.

So what is the scenario that happens usually? How many home invaders use guns? Are the lights on or off?

Bit defensive, aren't we? What you're saying is you learned some bastardized, Americanized version of an Asian martial art.

Kenpo happens to be the name given to most hard-style Okinawan martial arts that are based on one strike one kill. Doesn't quite reconcile with you "never kill" theory.

Martial arts origniated as a form of exercise and a means of self-defense by unarmed monks against armed bandits and "never kill" was not part of the equation.

As far as ethics go, you need to spend a little more time practicing yours instead of preaching them. Martial arts also teaches one wisdom, clrity of vision and honesty. I have seen little of any from you.

You are belittling me and my experiences. So sorry that I appear defensive to you. You studied a bunch of martial arts - as claimed in an earlier post. So where is your humility? Where is your compassion? You act like a bully.

I learned what I learned and I enjoyed every minute of it. My teacher taught me the precepts and I took them to heart. That is all there is to that.

You have made it very clear that no matter what I say, you have little or no respect for me. So be it. I have zero for you as well.

You can buy one at the local gunstore and order the automatic sear through a catalogue and it will take just about however long those transactions take to own one.

In case you've missed it, criminals aren't carrying black powder revolvers.

Be that as it may, ANY function firearm gives a criminal a distinct advantage of you ... one you cannot overcome with false bravado and some martial arts training.

The M-16 was an example weapon only. Criminals obtain automatic weapons by hook or crook. Just in case you've missed that one too.

And how many home invasions involved automatic weapons? How many home invasions occured since 2000?

Having a problem admitting you may be wrong gunny?

Your the one that is wrong, no threat was made, Gunny said IF he did something, what would happen, he did not say he was GOING to do something. But then you may not be a native English speaker so maybe we should give you the benefit of the doubt. Or perhaps it is just that great liberal school system we have now adays that didn't teach you very effective reading skills.

The same reason I have a reason to own: Auto insurance, Home insurance, Life insurance, Health insurance, Flood insurance, A garden hose, a wrench, ascrew driver, a pair of pliers, a hammer, a nail, a saw, a dishwasher, a sink, a toilet, a refridgerator, a belt, a pair of shoes, a computer, a pair of scisors, a desk, a pair of pants, a door knob, a hanger, a vehicle, a spare tire, a jack, a knife, a fork, a spoon, a blender, a toaster, a microwave, a vacume cleaner, a clock, a watch, and in this case and this thread and you LOTS AND LOTS OF ASPRIN! iT IS A TOOL TO BE USED IF THE RIGHT SITUATION PRESENTS ITSELF!

And how many home invasions involved automatic weapons? How many home invasions occured since 2000?

Doesn't take an automatic weapon, all it takes is a guy with a little skill and a saturday night special and your KARATA skills will be useless. Most people that knowingly break into occupied homes do not intend to kiss you and hug you and they come armed.

Most home burgleries are done with no one home, BUT the one listed here occurred with residents home and trapped. And they happen often enough that it is not a rare occurrance.

Anyone breaking down a door while the residents are inside are not there for cake and cookies.

Look Dipstick, we all get it. You are 39, you dont own a gun, right now you don't think you will ever need one. You still live in candy ass land and the real world hasn't bit you in the ass yet. I hope it never does. I wish I could click my heels three times and go back to where you are, but I can't. There are other reasons to own a gun that havn't even been spoken about on this thread. The real world and real bad people don't play. It isn't a game. I hope you never have to find out just how bad it CAN be.

Forum List

Back