A hometown example of the necessity of gun rights

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shogun, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Victim opens fire on suspects in break-in
    Intruder hospitalized in critical condition.

By JOE MEYER of the Tribune’s staff
    Published Thursday, December 27, 2007

An apparent home invasion was thwarted early today when a resident shot at two men trying to force their way into an east-central Columbia apartment.

One of the apparent intruders, described by police only as a 23-year-old man, remained in critical condition today after he was shot in the neck with a small-caliber handgun, Columbia police Capt. Brad Nelson said.

Officers were called at 12:07 a.m. to the area of Lakewood Apartments off Old 63 North to a report of several shots fired, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department. Officers then received information about two males trying to break into an apartment at 216 Old 63 N.

Two residents of the apartment, an 18-year-old male and 19-year-old female, told police they heard a knock at the door of the apartment.

A few seconds later, the residents said someone attempted to kick the door in, the news release said. The male resident then armed himself with a handgun and fired it as the men were trying to enter the apartment, the news release said.

Officers were alerted to the gunshot victim after he showed up at the emergency room of Boone Hospital Center. The man was later taken to University Hospital, the news release said.

Nelson declined to identify the man beyond his age. He has not been arrested and his injuries prevent him from talking with police, Nelson said. Police believe he was driven to the hospital by his accomplice.

Nelson said preliminary indications suggest nothing suspicious about the shooting.

Police continue to investigate, and the shooter has cooperated fully with police.

"It certainly appears the homeowner was simply defending himself, his girlfriend and his residence," Nelson said. "There’s a whole lot to do on this case; it’s not anywhere close to being completed. We’re still trying to identify the second suspect."

Francis Powell, who lives in the same building where the shooting occurred, said she was awakened between 1 and 2 a.m. by police officers who advised her to stay inside her apartment. She pointed to apparent blood stains on the concrete outside her front door.

Powell said she does not remember a similar incident since she moved into the building in 1999. Management is quick to evict problem tenants, she said.

"There has been people moving in that cause trouble, but they get out right away," Powell said.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Dec/20071227News002.asp

2. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    :thup: :clap2:

3. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Security by an armed citizen, as it should be.:clap2:

If more criminal knew they would be greeted with a gun, the crime rate would take a nose dive.:cool:

4. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Criminals may not fear the justice system, but they DO fear the Jury of One.

5. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I wonder if the shooter used his father's handgun?

Either way, the good guys won and the bad guys lost :thup:

6. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Agreed...........:eusa_dance:

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    A man had a fight with his wife in my area. He threw her out. She got the cops. It was like 2 am in the morning and they tried breaking down his door with OUT warning him they were cops, in fact they admitted they never announced themselves at all.

He fired a shot into his ceiling to warn whomever was trying to break in that he was armed. Where upon the police started shouting who they were and he let them in. They arrested him and the local DA charged him with assault with a deadly weapon, Using a firearm in a felony and assaulting a police officer. He went to jail. Eventually he pleaded it down to like 2 years jail time.

In this State you have NO right to self defense. There is no State Constitutional right and no State or local laws that give you the right. If you fire a weapon at someone the DA can charge you no matter the circumstance. It is completely at the DA's discretion if and what you are charged with.

Shot someone through a door and your completely at the mercy of the local DA and press what happens to you.

8. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    wow..common ground...

9. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    http://brian.carnell.com/archives/years/2002/04/000051.html

I hope that this woman lost her right to bear arms. I’m in support of people having guns in their homes. I do think that there should be a simple competency test in order for you to have a gun. Also if your having a gun results in accidental injury or death to an innocent person, you should lose your right to have a gun. I know. I know. We had the discussion before. Perhaps the constitution should be changed or the court system will interpret the constitution in light of contemporary understanding. Anyway, I just thought that I’d put in my usual commentary.

10. Lookout

Lookout Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I could not, would not live there then.