A hometown example of the necessity of gun rights

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Victim opens fire on suspects in break-in
Intruder hospitalized in critical condition.

By JOE MEYER of the Tribune’s staff
Published Thursday, December 27, 2007

An apparent home invasion was thwarted early today when a resident shot at two men trying to force their way into an east-central Columbia apartment.

One of the apparent intruders, described by police only as a 23-year-old man, remained in critical condition today after he was shot in the neck with a small-caliber handgun, Columbia police Capt. Brad Nelson said.

Officers were called at 12:07 a.m. to the area of Lakewood Apartments off Old 63 North to a report of several shots fired, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department. Officers then received information about two males trying to break into an apartment at 216 Old 63 N.

Two residents of the apartment, an 18-year-old male and 19-year-old female, told police they heard a knock at the door of the apartment.

A few seconds later, the residents said someone attempted to kick the door in, the news release said. The male resident then armed himself with a handgun and fired it as the men were trying to enter the apartment, the news release said.

Officers were alerted to the gunshot victim after he showed up at the emergency room of Boone Hospital Center. The man was later taken to University Hospital, the news release said.

Nelson declined to identify the man beyond his age. He has not been arrested and his injuries prevent him from talking with police, Nelson said. Police believe he was driven to the hospital by his accomplice.

Nelson said preliminary indications suggest nothing suspicious about the shooting.

Police continue to investigate, and the shooter has cooperated fully with police.

"It certainly appears the homeowner was simply defending himself, his girlfriend and his residence," Nelson said. "There’s a whole lot to do on this case; it’s not anywhere close to being completed. We’re still trying to identify the second suspect."

Francis Powell, who lives in the same building where the shooting occurred, said she was awakened between 1 and 2 a.m. by police officers who advised her to stay inside her apartment. She pointed to apparent blood stains on the concrete outside her front door.

Powell said she does not remember a similar incident since she moved into the building in 1999. Management is quick to evict problem tenants, she said.

"There has been people moving in that cause trouble, but they get out right away," Powell said.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Dec/20071227News002.asp

A man had a fight with his wife in my area. He threw her out. She got the cops. It was like 2 am in the morning and they tried breaking down his door with OUT warning him they were cops, in fact they admitted they never announced themselves at all.

He fired a shot into his ceiling to warn whomever was trying to break in that he was armed. Where upon the police started shouting who they were and he let them in. They arrested him and the local DA charged him with assault with a deadly weapon, Using a firearm in a felony and assaulting a police officer. He went to jail. Eventually he pleaded it down to like 2 years jail time.

In this State you have NO right to self defense. There is no State Constitutional right and no State or local laws that give you the right. If you fire a weapon at someone the DA can charge you no matter the circumstance. It is completely at the DA's discretion if and what you are charged with.

Shot someone through a door and your completely at the mercy of the local DA and press what happens to you.

http://brian.carnell.com/archives/years/2002/04/000051.html

I hope that this woman lost her right to bear arms. I’m in support of people having guns in their homes. I do think that there should be a simple competency test in order for you to have a gun. Also if your having a gun results in accidental injury or death to an innocent person, you should lose your right to have a gun. I know. I know. We had the discussion before. Perhaps the constitution should be changed or the court system will interpret the constitution in light of contemporary understanding. Anyway, I just thought that I’d put in my usual commentary.

A man had a fight with his wife in my area. He threw her out. She got the cops. It was like 2 am in the morning and they tried breaking down his door with OUT warning him they were cops, in fact they admitted they never announced themselves at all.

He fired a shot into his ceiling to warn whomever was trying to break in that he was armed. Where upon the police started shouting who they were and he let them in. They arrested him and the local DA charged him with assault with a deadly weapon, Using a firearm in a felony and assaulting a police officer. He went to jail. Eventually he pleaded it down to like 2 years jail time.

In this State you have NO right to self defense. There is no State Constitutional right and no State or local laws that give you the right. If you fire a weapon at someone the DA can charge you no matter the circumstance. It is completely at the DA's discretion if and what you are charged with.

Shot someone through a door and your completely at the mercy of the local DA and press what happens to you.

I could not, would not live there then.

Security by an armed citizen, as it should be.:clap2:

If more criminal knew they would be greeted with a gun, the crime rate would take a nose dive.:cool:

The only problem I see with this incident is, He used a SMALL cal. weapon and he only got one out of two! Good job though. One more for the good guys and one less for the bad guys.:clap2:

The only problem I see with this incident is, He used a SMALL cal. weapon and he only got one out of two! Good job though. One more for the good guys and one less for the bad guys.:clap2:
That is a rather stupid statement. Yah, I know, it is youir opinion. You are very welcome to it.

That is a rather stupid statement. Yah, I know, it is youir opinion. You are very welcome to it.

Much better if he had not fired at all and waited meekly inside to be beaten to death and his girlfriend raped and beaten to death.

And he will find leaving them alive will be costly when they sue him by hiring some shyster Lawyer that will make a frivilious claim against him.

RetiredGySgt wrote:

In this State you have NO right to self defense. There is no State Constitutional right and no State or local laws that give you the right. If you fire a weapon at someone the DA can charge you no matter the circumstance.

No matter what kind of laws are passed, it's the duty of a jury to keep things under control. He should have demanded a jury trial and explained what happened to the jury.

The general rule is that deadly force may not be used in defense of property; although it may be justified, depending on the circumstances, in self-defense or in defense of one’s home where there is a substantial risk of personal harm. However, when the cops are banging down your door, it’s not advisable to start shooting unless you have a strong death wish or desire to take up residence in a prison cell.

I don't know where you live but thats not how the law here in texas works.

Victim opens fire on suspects in break-in
Intruder hospitalized in critical condition.

By JOE MEYER of the Tribune’s staff
Published Thursday, December 27, 2007

An apparent home invasion was thwarted early today when a resident shot at two men trying to force their way into an east-central Columbia apartment.

And murder is not only a crime, it is a sin. If that boy dies, the homeowner is liable in a court of law plus a civil case can be brought against him.

Plus, the whole implication that killing another human being has on one's soul cuts deeper into this problem.

I said it before, I am 39 years old. I have lived in some pretty scary places and I have never needed a gun, nor will I ever need one.

This whole thing is a myth.

The general rule is that deadly force may not be used in defense of property; although it may be justified, depending on the circumstances, in self-defense or in defense of one’s home where there is a substantial risk of personal harm. However, when the cops are banging down your door, it’s not advisable to start shooting unless you have a strong death wish or desire to take up residence in a prison cell.

Trapped in an apartment or house with people beating down your door, with your wife or girlfriend or family there, well ya I can see how that wouldn't justify force at all, better to just open the door, let them in and hope that when they are done they do not rape and kill you.

Further if the police do NOT identify them selves and are beating down a door, they ARE an unknown threat as deadly to the homeowner as any criminal and ARE subject to be treated as such. In States with self defense laws THAT is how it works. The Police do not get a free ride to break down doors unannounced, if they fail to identify themselves they are fair game. Courts HAVE upheld this standard repeatedly.

And murder is not only a crime, it is a sin. If that boy dies, the homeowner is liable in a court of law plus a civil case can be brought against him.

Plus, the whole implication that killing another human being has on one's soul cuts deeper into this problem.

I said it before, I am 39 years old. I have lived in some pretty scary places and I have never needed a gun, nor will I ever need one.

Wrong again. He will only be subject to criminal action IF he violated the self defense laws of that State, so far it sounds like the cops believe he was justified in his actions. However he could face civil court since bleeding hearts like you think criminals are a protected minority in our citizenry.

Man, I don't know where you live, but if I lived there, I couldn't get out fast enough. As far as the soul thing goes, I really don't think God is going to hold it against me if I protect myself and or ssave someone elses life. Infact, if it were me and some people were trying to break down my door, after the smoke cleared and I checked it out and all the intruders were dead, my comment would probably be...Damn, out of targets!

New Topics

Forum List

Back