A Heart Warming Story From Robert Reich

nuhuh

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
Swimming pools, movie stars
It's called an epiphany and I received mine 35 years ago after I voted for Ronald Reagan and he didn't do a single thing that he promised he would while campaigning. Disappointed, I hung up my Republican registration and never looked back. My mistake was thinking that the other side had solutions that the left didn't. I'm still paying for the mistake of casting a vote for that man and I'll regret it to my grave.

"I got a call this morning from an old college friend who’s been a lifelong Republican (for years we’ve kidded one another about our respective politics), who told me he had decided to leave the GOP.

“It’s become the Party of hatemongers and know-nothings,” he said. “I’m embarrassed to be one of them.”

I asked him what had tipped him over the edge.

“Everything,” he said. “Their harangues against undocumented immigrants and promises to round them up and build a wall along the southern border. Their willingness to accept charges Obama is a Muslim and not born in America; that vaccines cause autism; that global warming is a hoax.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Pretty awful.”

“But that’s not all,” he said, becoming agitated. “It’s also their knee-jerk warmongering substituting for foreign policy. Their intolerance of a woman’s right to choose, and of gays’ and lesbians’ right to marry. Their willful suppression of black votes. Their racism!”

It was as if I’d opened a sluice gate. He went on, almost shouting: “Their incessant pandering to their wealthy funders by wanting even more tax cuts for the rich and big corporations, and then lying that the benefits will “trickle-down.” Their attacks on teachers. Cuts in school budgets. Eagerness to cut school lunches for poor kids…”

“Whoa,” I stopped him. “I get it. But these aren’t all new. Why did you stay a Republican all these years?”

He was silent for a moment. “Because I admired Mark Hatfield and Nelson Rockefeller and Jacob Javits,” he said. “I supported Barry Goldwater and John McCain. They reflected my values. I kept thinking my Republican Party would come back. But now I know it’s dead. The Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.”

“So,” I asked with a smile in my voice, “does this mean you’re coming over to my side?”

“No,” he said, still deeply serious. “Not yet. For now I’m an Independent.”

“But you’ll vote for a Democrat in the presidential election?”

“Absolutely. The Republicans now running are all “a-- ----s.”

It's called an epiphany and I received mine 35 years ago after I voted for Ronald Reagan and he didn't do a single thing that he promised he would while campaigning. Disappointed, I hung up my Republican registration and never looked back. My mistake was thinking that the other side had solutions that the left didn't. I'm still paying for the mistake of casting a vote for that man and I'll regret it to my grave.

"I got a call this morning from an old college friend who’s been a lifelong Republican (for years we’ve kidded one another about our respective politics), who told me he had decided to leave the GOP.

“It’s become the Party of hatemongers and know-nothings,” he said. “I’m embarrassed to be one of them.”

“Everything,” he said. “Their harangues against undocumented immigrants and promises to round them up and build a wall along the southern border. Their willingness to accept charges Obama is a Muslim and not born in America; that vaccines cause autism; that global warming is a hoax.”

“But that’s not all,” he said, becoming agitated. “It’s also their knee-jerk warmongering substituting for foreign policy. Their intolerance of a woman’s right to choose, and of gays’ and lesbians’ right to marry. Their willful suppression of black votes. Their racism!”

It was as if I’d opened a sluice gate. He went on, almost shouting: “Their incessant pandering to their wealthy funders by wanting even more tax cuts for the rich and big corporations, and then lying that the benefits will “trickle-down.” Their attacks on teachers. Cuts in school budgets. Eagerness to cut school lunches for poor kids…”

“Whoa,” I stopped him. “I get it. But these aren’t all new. Why did you stay a Republican all these years?”

He was silent for a moment. “Because I admired Mark Hatfield and Nelson Rockefeller and Jacob Javits,” he said. “I supported Barry Goldwater and John McCain. They reflected my values. I kept thinking my Republican Party would come back. But now I know it’s dead. The Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.”

“So,” I asked with a smile in my voice, “does this mean you’re coming over to my side?”

and the democrats aren't?

You would have to ask Robert Reich's friend. You don't want to ask me.

You don't have an opinion?
:confused-84:

Not one that you would want to hear.

Et tu, quoque??

Not one that you would want to hear.

Amusing.

Et tu, quoque??

Goose/Gander

Et tu, quoque??

Yep. There was a time that I was as oblivious as this guy

12003162_10153307541131051_2522273376817011521_n.jpg

Et tu, quoque??

Yep. There was a time that I was as oblivious as this guy

12003162_10153307541131051_2522273376817011521_n.jpg

or her?

hillary-im-with-stupid.jpg

They think they can pick up more crazy asshole votes than they will lose by being crazy assholes. It's a desperation move pure and simple.

Since Reich is a hardcore partisan ideologue (left wing, in his case), there is absolutely no way of knowing if this story is true.

Next.
Is it so outside the realm of possibility that someone might quit the republican hatefest in disgust?

Since Reich is a hardcore partisan ideologue (left wing, in his case), there is absolutely no way of knowing if this story is true.

Next.
Is it so outside the realm of possibility that someone might quit the republican hatefest in disgust?
Nope.

Nor is it out of the realm of possibility that a hardcore partisan ideologue would lie.

They do it all the time.

Next.
Nope.

Nor is it out of the realm of possibility that a hardcore partisan ideologue would lie.

They do it all the time.
Yes, the republican debates were a good example of that.

Next.
Nope.

They do it all the time.
Both ends.

You do know that, right?

Next.
Nope.

They do it all the time.

How about those Democrat debates? (LOL)

All of those are true and need to be done....his friend is a fucking moron. I agree on some of it but this stuff I agree with republican party or certain members on....

Forum List

Back