A 'Great' Birthday

For Democrats:

great_gatsby_plot.jpeg

Happy Birthday Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald, author of the greatest American novel ever!

His greatest novel IMHO is his final novel "Tender Is The Night" which he began writing in 1925 but it wasn't completed until 1933 and it was published in 1934.

First Edition:

TenderIsTheNight_%28Novel%29_1st_edition_cover.jpg

Tender Is the Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elliott Nugent directed the best version of "The Great Gatsby" in 1949 with Alan Ladd, Betty Field, MacDonald Carey and Ruth Hussey.

The Great Gatsby (1949 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This clip is three minutes and twenty nine seconds in duration, Alan Ladd was so beautiful.

You have to click on the Watch this video on YouTube link on the screen, and then it'll play here at this forum, I hate it when idiots do this, but some only allow their stuff to play at YouTube.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald, author of the greatest American novel ever!

Amazing although tragic life, one of the best American writers of last century and a favorite of mine, I own all his biographies and those of his wife Zelda. I there ever was a couple who represented the spirit of the 1920s it was them!

Thank you for posting.

An alcoholic since college, two heart attacks before he was 40 and dying at 44. He makes makes Hemingway look like a Presbyterian.

An alcoholic since college, two heart attacks before he was 40 and dying at 44. He makes makes Hemingway look like a Presbyterian.

Yes, but he wrote like an angel.

90% of writers last century ended pretty much like Scott. That's just how it was. :dunno:

The liberal media loves to label creative people and generations. The roaring twenties authors were deemed "the lost generation" simply because some drunk reporter who never wrote a novel or even a short story decided that immense talents like Fitzgerald and Hemingway were simply "lost". Unfortunately for subsequent generations the tenured lazy college professors read out of a text created by earlier generations and the ho-hum novel "The Great Gatsby" becomes a classic simply because it's a classic.

Anyone who calls The Great Gatsby "ho-hum" doesn't understand English literature, and certainly not American literature.

Anyone who calls The Great Gatsby "ho-hum" doesn't understand English literature, and certainly not American literature.
Nobody dares to criticize "The Great Gatsby" and survive "literature 101 with better than a "C" . The plot was mundane and tied to an era that doesn't exist and nobody cares about today. Hemingway's stuff stands the test of time but Hemingway's lifestyle always gets in the way while Fitzgerald gets a pass.

Nobody dares to criticize "The Great Gatsby" and survive "literature 101 with better than a "C" . ....

Nonsense. If you can make a legitimate claim and support it with evidence you would be fine. You have nothing but subjective response and petulance you can expect to be evaluated accordingly.

The plot was mundane and tied to an era that doesn't exist and nobody cares about today. ....

That criticism is nothing but your opinion, based on your personal 'feelings.' Shallow and ridiculous ones at that. "The plot was mundane" is purely subjective, and "an era that doesn't exist and nobody cares about today" is both subjective and dismissive of all literature from, about, or set in the past. You've essentially dismissed all literature that wasn't written this afternoon and supported the claim with "because I feel that way!" You'd earn much less than a 'C' for that kind of critique.

New Topics

Forum List

Back