A Good Idea by the Trump Administration

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
The federal government has earmarked $3B to get unsold/unharvested produce to foodbanks. The majority of the money (16B) is going to farmers and ranchers directly. I'm sure they can use it, but I wish more was being used for the other. It happens all the time, farmers plowing under produce they can't sell or get harvested, but apparently now it's worse because there aren't refrigerated trucks to take it to market--the refrigerated trucks are all full up with frozen meat they can't get ready for sale.

More people need whatever food they can get for free to supplement their budgets while under or unemployed. A lot of the community soup kitchens and food pantries have closed due to social distancing restrictions. They can't find willing volunteers to staff them (in our community, the food pantry is staffed by elderly old ladies--they shouldn't be exchanging germs with a long line of the unwashed hordes).

Good article here. Kudos to feds for trying to help. I think they need to buy trucks, though.

The federal government has earmarked $3B to get unsold/unharvested produce to foodbanks. The majority of the money (16B) is going to farmers and ranchers directly. I'm sure they can use it, but I wish more was being used for the other. It happens all the time, farmers plowing under produce they can't sell or get harvested, but apparently now it's worse because there aren't refrigerated trucks to take it to market--the refrigerated trucks are all full up with frozen meat they can't get ready for sale.

More people need whatever food they can get for free to supplement their budgets while under or unemployed. A lot of the community soup kitchens and food pantries have closed due to social distancing restrictions. They can't find willing volunteers to staff them (in our community, the food pantry is staffed by elderly old ladies--they shouldn't be exchanging germs with a long line of the unwashed hordes).

Good article here. Kudos to feds for trying to help. I think they need to buy trucks, though.

While it may be a good article, I refuse to pay Washington Post for the honor of getting to read it. It's the principle of knowing who they are.

States that have locked down has hampered distribution. Restaurant closures created it. Disking crops is what some farmers are doing. A friend just buried 200 acres of un-sellable lettuce. Makes no sense to harvest. Cheaper to bury at this time.

Last edited:

While it may be a good article, I refuse to pay Washington Post for the honor of getting to read it. It's the principle of knowing who they are.
I won't even turn off my ad blocker for some sites. I hear ya. I thought being about the effects of Covid on agriculture, it might be "free." I forgot about the paywall. Sorry.

They'll always find a way to buy the farmers off. Farmers have been on the dole since the 1930s and never miss an opportunity to dig their hands ever deeper into the nations pockets.

A realist would contend that what the government is really doing is demonstrating that it is perfectly willing to starve the electorate into submission by decree.

Interstate lockdown has hampered distribution. Restaurant closures created it. Disking crops is what some farmers are doing. A friend just buried 200 acres of un-sellable lettuce. Makes no sense to harvest. Cheaper to bury at this time.
Well, hopefully your friend will be able to sell his next crop to the government, if things aren't open by then and it can go to folks who normally don't buy lettuce because it's too expensive.

What interstate lockdown?

By FEEDING them? You've got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

No, I'm not. What do you think I meant by submission?

They want people to have to depend on government for sustenance. They've locked down the country to the extent that they have people literally begging the government to provide for them.

Problem. Reaction. Solution.

They'll always find a way to buy the farmers off. Farmers have been on the dole since the 1930s and never miss an opportunity to dig their hands ever deeper into the nations pockets.
The economy being what it is, though, the food that sustains us has to be regulated to some extent. Yes, I've known farmers being paid not to grow certain crops. That was back in the 90's. I know it goes on. But that is one industry that truly IS too big (too important) to fail. Farming is a risky proposition, taking loans every spring and hoping for a good enough harvest and price to pay all the loans back and buy seed for the next round. You have to pay workers, keep expensive heavy machinery running, etc. etc. Farming is not an easy profession.

As Dairies Dump Milk, Frustration Mounts Over Retail Buying Limits
webimage-0DF956D4-ADAD-4B62-8FF70C1EB03436A3.jpg

Farmers from across the country are being asked to dump their milk this week, as the restaurant and food service demand crumbled rapidly due to COVID-19.
( Ben Butler, Twitter )

So, what is the cost of milk, cheese and butter at your local grocery store. . . is it even on the shelves?

We've been waiting 3.4 years for a good idea from the Trump Administration.
Paywall and such, so not sure who's idea this was.
But rest assured they'll be fired by day's end ;)

Interstate lockdown has hampered distribution. Restaurant closures created it. Disking crops is what some farmers are doing. A friend just buried 200 acres of un-sellable lettuce. Makes no sense to harvest. Cheaper to bury at this time.
Well, hopefully your friend will be able to sell his next crop to the government, if things aren't open by then and it can go to folks who normally don't buy lettuce because it's too expensive.

What interstate lockdown?
Sorry about that. Had 2 things on my mind. I edited. Thanks.

Farmers from across the country are being asked to dump their milk this week, as the restaurant and food service demand crumbled rapidly due to COVID-19.
( Ben Butler, Twitter )

So, what is the cost of milk, cheese and butter at your local grocery store. . . is it even on the shelves?
The price has gone up on what I usually buy. The selection has been spotty.

Old Lady, Natural Citizen is correct, this is an artificially created government crises.

We know now that this food shortage has been caused, because those people who usually eat at restaurants, have been forced to buy food at grocery stores. The grocery stores do not have the supply to feed the nation.

The food that would otherwise go to restaurants and institutions is being thrown out.

Likewise, my SNAP benefits were just adjusted down by a hundred dollars, they are no longer supporting the elderly, the poor, the disabled or those food insecure due to decreased supply at the grocery stores.

Have you seen the lines at the food banks?

We also know now, from independent studies that this pandemic has been wildly exaggerated. It was not necessary to shut down the economy or stop folks from going to restaurants. This is a highly regarded professor from Stanford;

. . . and Dr. Fauci's own research.

This article explains statistics on excess mortality.

quote-who-controls-the-food-supply-controls-the-people-who-controls-the-energy-can-control-henry-a-kissinger-65-36-98.jpg

( Ben Butler, Twitter )

Not regularly, no. It is obvious the problem lies in distribution, if a national grocery chain can't keep it on the shelves. Same way with a lot of items since March. And the farmers are dumping it. So, the problem is somewhere in the middle, yes?

That's a heart breaking picture. And of course, you have to milk the cows.

By FEEDING them? You've got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

No, I don't. What do you think I meant by submission?

They want people to have to depend on government for sustenance.
Do you disagree with the government helping to get food that would otherwise be wasted to the people who are hungry?
The government won't help, as they are the ones that have created this problem to begin with. This was all planned.

Forum List

Back