A fun gift for young kids

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Personalized Paper Dolls

I've done these a couple of times and the kids just love them. Start with a photo of the kid. Dress them in a plain shirt and shorts and barefoot. Pose them with one hand to their side and the other on the hip - something like that. Try several poses of each kid and then choose the one you like.

Use Photo Shop or what ever photo software you have. Decide how tall you want the doll, print and laminate or copy using clear magnetic sheets. This is really the best way. Avery Dennison Ink Jet Magnet Sheets are what I've used but would like to find a heavy duty version. If I find something better, I'll post it. Cut out the doll.

Once you have your doll, you can start doing the clothing for it. Boys like this too so don't hesitate making one of the little boy on your list.

I really have a good time doing outfits for them and I think it can be a great way to encourage kids to think of themselves in different ways - astronauts, scientists, teachers, doctors, cowboys, kings, queens and the list never ends.

If you're not comfortable drawing from scratch, there are gazillions of paper doll web sites where you can get ideas. Be sure to give them lots of props, shoes and pets and accessories.

If you're not an artist or don't feel real comfortable with this, the one piece of advice I have is - Just Go For It. Use bright colors and don't be shy. Use metallic for things like the astronaut.

Believe me, the kids will love having their own photo they can dress up and play pretend with. If there's more than one kid in the family, they can use the dolls to work out their own relationships. I've seen it and its just amazing to watch what kids do with these dolls.

An easy way to do this is to put a piece of tracing paper over your doll so you can see where arms and legs go, where to draw a neckline or a hem and so on.

Don't forget hats - do them the old fashioned way, with a slit so it fits over the doll's head.

If you paint, I suggest using acrylic on cheapo canvas paper that comes in pads. Or, watercolor, color pencil on paper, or even combinations.

Then you'll do the same thing you did with the doll photos. They're already the correct size so just make a good quality color copy on the magnetic sheets and cut them out.

Save all your scraps of magnetic sheets because its expensive and you can use them for their accessories or props. If your child has a hobby or an interest, you can add those too.

Cool, huh?

If you do this, I hope you'll post about your ideas, progress and even photos. I'm hoping to get started on ours next week after surgery but we'll see how that works out. If I can't, I'll do them for birthdays or for un-birthdays.

I'll describe another craft I'm doing for our grand kids in a separate post.

A quick and easy thing you can do for little ones --

I just finished a Tic Tac Toe game for our two grand kids. Its a travel game, done inside an Altoids can.

Start by tracing the exact size and shape of the bottom and of the center area of the top. The top is a little tricky because you have to make your shape fit inside the little frame that is printed and embossed on it. (Or, if you prefer, do it a different way)

I used wallpaper sample paper because its very durable and drew a cartoon of the two kids and put their names on it. I glued that into the little frame area. You'll just have to see the Altoids can to get what I mean here.

Then, using the bottom for a template, trace two pieces just slightly smaller than the actual size of the bottom. I did another cartoon of the two kids, this time with their cats, signed and dated it and glued it on the bottom of the can.

Then, the other piece that's slightly smaller than the bottom ...

Go buy some half inch round magnets and some buttons the same size or slightly smaller. I chose red flower buttons and yellow flower buttons. Use E6000 or similar glue to glue buttons to the magnets - 5 of each color, ten total magnets.

Note that the buttons cannot have shanks on them. Even if you cut them off, there will still be a little nub and the kids will pick them apart in no time. I purposely got buttons that were just a bit smaller than the magnets and used just enough glue that it came up into the holes.

Measure your piece of wallpaper that's just a little smaller than the bottom of the can (make sure it fits down into the can) --- Measure it off into thirds in both directions so you have your Tic Tac Toe grid. Use a Sharpie and a ruler to rule off the grid.

By now the glue on the magnets is dry and you're ready to play.

Fun thing is the magnets keep the game together.

This is very fast to throw together. It took a lot longer to write it than to do it.

I did a quickie search one day and there's gobs of ideas for Altoids cans. If you're an addict, never throw one away because you can always find something fun to make out of them. I've done some other projects but this is the kid's toys thread so sticking with that.

I'd love to hear of other ideas ...

Forum List

Back