A friendly PC reminder

You mean

Would you say that is the common usage?
Yes, but if you think differently please post your definition.

My definition is a non-issue as I would never use the word redneck as a disparaging term.

So it is your opinion that the only time the word redneck is commonly used is when the person using the term has seen a rebel flag at the residence of the person they are calling redneck???
Did I say that?

You wouldn't use the term redneck as a disparaging term so that must mean you think it has another meaning that isn't disparaging. Why won't you define it?

I can't speak for the others but you have deliberately misconstrued my remarks.
Plus you demonstrate obvious and blatant bigotry towards PC indoctrinated, ignorant fucktards.

:lol:

Angille, I think you also made a good point earlier about racist remarks not being dependent upon the speaker, it's really just the context and intent that can be construed as less offensive especially if the speaker belongs to that race.
You make a good point that white on white or black on black racism is perceived as less offensive. Maybe because it is less common and so considered less threatening?
Is Jeff Foxworthy a bigot?

This guy believes that "black ghetto culture" is actually a form of redneckness and in fact states that blacks can be and are rednecks.

The title is based on Sowell's thesis about the origins of the black culture found in modern black society. He argues that what is claimed to be "authentic black culture" is actually a relic of a highly dysfunctional white southern redneck culture, and the dependent slave culture. This in turn came from the "Cracker culture" of the North Britons and Scots-Irish who migrated from the harsh English border regions of Britain. Sowell gives a number of examples that he regards as supporting the lineage, e.g.,
an aversion to work, proneness to violence, neglect of education, sexual promiscuity, improvidence, drunkenness, lack of entrepreneurship,… and a style of religious oratory marked by strident rhetoric, unbridled emotions, and flamboyant imagery.[1]
Black Rednecks and White Liberals: Information from Answers.com

Saying rednecks are not born rednecks isn't saying that one can't be bigoted against rednecks.

Implying that rednecks are not born of rednecks is shear stupidity. And suggesting that their choice to remain rednecks makes them inferior is most certainly bigoted.

A redneck is an ignorant intolerable bigot that one often finds flying a rebel flag.

Suggesting that redneck = southern rebel is laughably ignorant. Not your high point to say the least.

In your mind calling someone an ignorant intolerable bigot is as bigoted as calling a black person a ******.

No. That is most certainly not a thought that resides in my mind. Since you certainly couldn't have gleaned that from anything I've posted, I'm going to go ahead and assume you made it up. You know, fastest horse and all.

I already did, see above. But really it is Mani that needs to define it [redneck].

The point of the OP does not require a specific definition of redneck. All that is required is that one understands that the term represents a subset of our society. Just like one must understand that the term "black" also represents a subset of our society. I hope you realize that not all people would agree on a defintion for black.

I'd also like him to explain how "redneck" is equal in bigotry to "******."

Not my words and not a statement that I agree with. Therefore you are either misrepresenting my words or you misunderstand them. Either way I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Perhaps he should also define "******."

Why? Try to focus Ravi. Go back and read the OP, it's pretty short. I made no reference to ******* and I've already defined both black and redneck sufficiently enough to communicate the point made in the OP. And while you are at it, why don't list the exact points in the OP that you disagree with.

Last edited:
So, let's get now to brass tacks.

Anyone but Mani...in your own words, define the characteristics of a redneck.

Yet another reason why its a lot different than racism.

Nobody is going around wondering what the "characteristics" of someone black are. They are, by definition, black.

This is in fact a very important distinction. Rednecks can be called rednecks, can think of themselves as rednecks, can be in some sort of redneck culture, but in the end, they have the choice of thinking of themselves as redneck or not. If they don't want to be identified with that culture they can move, or make themselves distinct in other ways. There is NO way to do that for ones skin color.

Exactly. Maybe there is hope for you yet.

Stereotyping a culture based on how individuals of that culture act is *gasp* bigoted. Is that really difficult for you?

Fail.

Culture is linked by something that effects attitude. Race isn't.

Omg...its so bigoted to say that New Yorkers are fast paced!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's bigoted to say all New Yorkers are assholes.

Just as it's bigoted to say rednecks are substandard.

Funny you didn't respond to the actual point.

Its NOT bigoted to say that New Yorkers are fast paced. Nobody would think of it as an insult, or something that one shouldn't say. Because New Yorkers are bound by a common culture. But to say that Blacks are good at basketball IS racist, as its a generalization of people who are bound by nothing other than skin color.

Obviously using an insult to describe any set group of people is going to be perceived negatively. But when you use a compliment for a set group of people (or a neutral descriptor), it changes. For Culture, that can often be acceptable, and even friendly. For race, its not. Because people can choose their culture (to an extent), which is not the same as race.

Saying rednecks are not born rednecks isn't saying that one can't be bigoted against rednecks.

Implying that rednecks are not born of rednecks is shear stupidity. And suggesting that their choice to remain rednecks makes them inferior is most certainly bigoted.

A redneck is an ignorant intolerable bigot that one often finds flying a rebel flag.

Suggesting that redneck = southern rebel is laughably ignorant. Not your high point to say the least.

No. That is most certainly not a thought that resides in my mind. Since you certainly couldn't have gleaned that from anything I've posted, I'm going to go ahead and assume you made it up. You know, fastest horse and all.

The point of the OP does not require a specific definition of redneck. All that is required is that one understands that the term represents a subset of our society. Just like one must understand that the term "black" also represents a subset of our society. I hope you realize that not all people would agree on a defintion for black.

Not my words and not a statement that I agree with. Therefore you are either misrepresenting my words or you misunderstand them. Either way I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Why? Try to focus Ravi. Go back and read the OP, it's pretty short. I made no reference to ******* and I've already defined both black and redneck sufficiently enough to communicate the point made in the OP. And while you are at it, why don't list the exact points in the OP that you disagree with.

Interesting edit there, Manifold.

:popcorn:

Nice edit, dillhole.

Let me see your evidence that people are born intolerant.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: It's perfectly acceptable, and even hip, witty and clever, to opine or imply that rednecks are backwards, ignorant, incestuous, fucktards that are way less intelligent than non-rednecks.
It is? Please provide your proof. If I ever say anything about rednecks on this board I am called a bigot. And interestingly, Jeff Foxworthy makes these claims all the time and I've never heard him called a bigot.
But this standard DOES NOT apply to blacks.
Are you claiming it is unacceptable to claim that blacks are backwards, ignorant, incestuous fucktards? Well, cry me a river. It wouldn't be acceptable to claim whites are those things either.
Please know that any attempt to apply this standard to blacks makes you a nazi-esque, racist asshole.
Strawman or guilty conscience, I can't decide.

btw, I don't recall claiming rednecks are inferior. They might be ignorant fucktards but they have just as much right to their beliefs as I do and that does not mean I think I am superior to them.

Thanks for proving I'm not a bigot. :cool:

Not following you. Aren't you saying that the determining factor in indicating racism in the cases you describe above is the speaker's skin color? Isn't that racist in itself?

I'm not sure that I'm following you.
You seem to be saying that a white person cannot be racist against whites or a black person against blacks.

Yes. That is what I am saying.

They can be bigoted or judgemental. But not racist.

Do you think William Joyce is racist specifically on his distain for the Jews?

It's all really a matter of semantics.

I've never made any such claim, therefore I do not feel compelled to support it with any evidence.

Perhaps you can explain how equating redneck with intolerant is not bigoted. Do you even realize you're using them interchangably? :eusa_whistle:

btw, I don't recall claiming blacks are inferior. They might be ignorant fucktards but they have just as much right to their beliefs as I do and that does not mean I think I am superior to them. I know I am superior to them.

Thanks for helping me understand that I'm a bigot. :cool:

I went ahead and fixed your typos.

Nobody is going around wondering what the "characteristics" of someone black are. They are, by definition, black.

This is in fact a very important distinction. Rednecks can be called rednecks, can think of themselves as rednecks, can be in some sort of redneck culture, but in the end, they have the choice of thinking of themselves as redneck or not. If they don't want to be identified with that culture they can move, or make themselves distinct in other ways. There is NO way to do that for ones skin color.

So all those folks who say "There's blacks and then there's *******" that I thought were racist actually are not, since their assessment is based on characteristics such as attire, speaking habits, level of education and urban location or origins.

Who knew...

Last edited:

I've never made any such claim, therefore I do not feel compelled to support it with any evidence.

Perhaps you can explain how equating redneck with intolerant is not bigoted. Do you even realize you're using them interchangably? :eusa_whistle:
Where I live, which is technically in the south, they are interchangeable. So yes, by claiming one is born a redneck you are claiming intolerance is a heritable trait.

Where I live, which is technically in the south, they are interchangeable.

The fact that you don't realize your statement here is extremely bigotted is...

...well...

...it's fucking hilarious is what it is. :rofl:

So all those folks who say "There's blacks and then there's *******" that I thought were racist actually are not, since their assessment is based on characteristics such as attire, speaking habits, level of education and urban location or origins.

Who knew...

Its certainly indicative that the person speaking is likely racist, but that statement itself doesn't conclusively prove it.

...well...

Actually it depends on what you define redneck as.

As was already previously determined, different people have different definitions.

...well...

Actually it depends on what you define redneck as.

As was already previously determined, different people have different definitions.

So as long as one defines blacks as ignorant, they can use them interchangably without being bigotted. Afterall, it's merely based on a different definition. You're just full of helpful loopholes aren't you! :rofl:

Forum List

Back