A conservative just called him Thurston Howell Romney

Who here is getting some form of government money while supporting Romney?

I am: I get my VA pension and my VA medical care.

Maple? Stephanie?

Who else?

Confession time, gang.

Miss 47% has arrived. When are you going to start taking responsibility for your own life?

don't lump me in there, or you can contact the Irs for me and chew their asses for all them damn Federal Income taxes they take from me...

Poor Mitt doesn't know many states have income taxes; like Ford with Poland in 1976, he is helpless.

Stephanie, do you get federal or state aid in some form or fashion?

Maple? Stephanie?

Who else?

Confession time, gang.

Miss 47% has arrived. When are you going to start taking responsibility for your own life?

don't lump me in there, or you can contact the Irs for me and chew their asses for all them damn Federal Income taxes they take from me...

Stephanie, do you get federal or state aid in some form or fashion?

Maple? Stephanie?

Who else?

Confession time, gang.

jake, I WORK TWO jobs and TAKE NOTHING from the taxpayers...I have something called PRIDE

If Romney is Thurston Howell, Obama is Gilligan or maybe Mary Anne.

Maple? Stephanie?

Who else?

Confession time, gang.

LOL. Wait, I was told that all poor people were mooching off the government. Is that not true?

I grew up admiring real conservatives. Great men with integrity and human compassion like Everett Dirksen, Barry Goldwater and William Buckley.

What Romney represents with his comments is not conservatism. It is narcissism.

Romney is a narcisist? That describes Obama far better than it does Romney. That's just funny:)

It's lol the way you'll defend anything a Republican does. Anything. Even when he puts YOU down. "Nah, he didn't mean me". No, he meant you.

I dont have the entitlement mentality and im not planning to vote for Obama. In what way is he refering to me?

Please. Educate me.

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess you aren't wealthy. If you are then you're right, he wasn't talking about you. If however you're a middle class american or god forbid, an evil poor person then you're enemy #1 on Romneys list.

You really arent paying attention to what he actually said are you?

Here is an op-ed by David Brooks. He voices the same outrage I feel over Romney's plutocrat comments. His comments are a slap in the face to the American working men, women and families who are the hardest working citizens on this planet!

Romney is the very antithesis of the great American Presidents I grew up with and trusted.

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

David Brooks excerpt:

Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. Yes, the entitlement state has expanded, but America remains one of the hardest-working nations on earth. Americans work longer hours than just about anyone else. Americans believe in work more than almost any other people. Ninety-two percent say that hard work is the key to success, according to a 2009 Pew Research Survey.

It says that Romney doesn’t know much about the political culture. Americans haven’t become childlike worshipers of big government. On the contrary, trust in government has declined. The number of people who think government spending promotes social mobility has fallen.

The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

Romney’s comments also reveal that he has lost any sense of the social compact. In 1987, during Ronald Reagan’s second term, 62 percent of Republicans believed that the government has a responsibility to help those who can’t help themselves. Now, according to the Pew Research Center, only 40 percent of Republicans believe that.

The Republican Party, and apparently Mitt Romney, too, has shifted over toward a much more hyperindividualistic and atomistic social view — from the Reaganesque language of common citizenship to the libertarian language of makers and takers. There’s no way the country will trust the Republican Party to reform the welfare state if that party doesn’t have a basic commitment to provide a safety net for those who suffer for no fault of their own.

The final thing the comment suggests is that Romney knows nothing about ambition and motivation. The formula he sketches is this: People who are forced to make it on their own have drive. People who receive benefits have dependency.

But, of course, no middle-class parent acts as if this is true. Middle-class parents don’t deprive their children of benefits so they can learn to struggle on their own. They shower benefits on their children to give them more opportunities — so they can play travel sports, go on foreign trips and develop more skills.

People are motivated when they feel competent. They are motivated when they have more opportunities. Ambition is fired by possibility, not by deprivation, as a tour through the world’s poorest regions makes clear.

more

howells.jpg
mrhowell.jpeg
Mitt-Romney-as-Thurston-Howell-III-79544633717.jpeg

If Romney is Thurston Howell then Obama is surely Gilligan. He screws up the best laid plans and makes sure that we never get off the island. We've been stuck in the morass since Obama took office.

I dont have the entitlement mentality and im not planning to vote for Obama. In what way is he refering to me?

Please. Educate me.

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess you aren't wealthy. If you are then you're right, he wasn't talking about you. If however you're a middle class american or god forbid, an evil poor person then you're enemy #1 on Romneys list.

You really arent paying attention to what he actually said are you?

Sure I did. But please, I can use a laugh. Tell me your slant on it anyway. Tell me how he didn't say that 47% of Americans would rather depend on government than take responsibility for their own lives.

Poor Mitt doesn't know many states have income taxes; like Ford with Poland in 1976, he is helpless.

What's your unemployment again? How well is Obama doing with the economy?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Obama's a champ! He's got this election in the bag. That's why he's so far out in the polls.

Oh wait...................

:D

In your whole nation only 96,000 jobs were added in August while 368,000 people stopped looking for work.

Pathetic.

I was more offended by Obama calling us bible thumping gun clingers

but we got the Faux outrage going on over this tape...:lol:

LOL. Wait, I was told that all poor people were mooching off the government. Is that not true?

where did you get that bullcrap? Certainly wasnt from Romney or anyone here.

When are you going to figure out that people are people regardless how much money they have? When are you going to stop this nonsense about a class war?

If Romney is Thurston Howell then Obama is surely Gilligan. He screws up the best laid plans and makes sure that we never get off the island. We've been stuck in the morass since Obama took office.

th

When are you going to figure out that people are people regardless how much money they have? When are you going to stop this nonsense about a class war?

you're wasting your time with that poster..
just saying

If Romney is Thurston Howell, Obama is Gilligan or maybe Mary Anne.

I'm running with Ginger. An egotistical airhead. :D omg I can actually picture him in gold lame and stilettos.

Yuck! I just threw up a little in my mouth.

you're wasting your time with that poster..
just saying

Ive come to that conclusion. Especially after he just asked me to repeat my "slant" on it when ive already explained it earlier.

Forum List

Back