A conservative just called him Thurston Howell Romney

LOL. Wait, I was told that all poor people were mooching off the government. Is that not true?

where did you get that bullcrap? Certainly wasnt from Romney or anyone here.

When are you going to figure out that people are people regardless how much money they have? When are you going to stop this nonsense about a class war?

Seriously? I don't know if you're being serious anymore. :eusa_eh:

LOL. Wait, I was told that all poor people were mooching off the government. Is that not true?

where did you get that bullcrap? Certainly wasnt from Romney or anyone here.

When are you going to figure out that people are people regardless how much money they have? When are you going to stop this nonsense about a class war?

you're wasting your time with that poster..
just saying

Sucks when I point out that your entire worldview is hypocritical, doesn't it?

It's lol the way you'll defend anything a Republican does. Anything. Even when he puts YOU down. "Nah, he didn't mean me". No, he meant you.

I dont have the entitlement mentality and im not planning to vote for Obama. In what way is he refering to me?

Please. Educate me.

OK...

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

jake, I WORK TWO jobs and TAKE NOTHING from the taxpayers...I have something called PRIDE

Do you get back everything you pay into federal income tax at the end of the year?

Of course she does, plus some. Unless she was lying when she said she was poor. Liar or "moocher", she can pick.

I'm not sure she realizes that the 47% number includes people who get back the money that is deducted at the end of the year.

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess you aren't wealthy. If you are then you're right, he wasn't talking about you. If however you're a middle class american or god forbid, an evil poor person then you're enemy #1 on Romneys list.

You really arent paying attention to what he actually said are you?

Sure I did. But please, I can use a laugh. Tell me your slant on it anyway. Tell me how he didn't say that 47% of Americans would rather depend on government than take responsibility for their own lives.

"MALE VOICE: For the past three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry. We'll take care of it." How are we gonna do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've gotta take care of yourself?

MITT ROMNEY: Well, there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right? There are 47% who are with him. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that-- that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they're entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. But that's-- it's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.
And-- and-- I mean the president starts off with 48%, 49%, 40-- or he-- he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every-- every four years.
And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. Whether they like the guy or not. What they-- what it looks like. I mean the-- it's the-- the-- when you ask those people-- we do all these polls. I find it amazing. We poll all these people, see where you stand in the polls. About 45% of the people will vote for the Republican and 48% or 49%-- "
Full video and transcript of leaked Romney fundraiser remarks - First Read

It's lol the way you'll defend anything a Republican does. Anything. Even when he puts YOU down. "Nah, he didn't mean me". No, he meant you.

I dont have the entitlement mentality and im not planning to vote for Obama. In what way is he refering to me?

Please. Educate me.

OK...

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

omg, hufferpost and cbpp WHAT?
so whatever we do we should just BANKRUPT our country and ourselves..

Good for you, Steph.

But I pay much more in federal income tax than you, yet I get my VA pension and medical care, Steph.

Am I one of the "mooches", Steph, that the far right natters on about?

I will vote for Romney, but I am not happy with my candidate, Stephanie.

Stephanie, do you get federal or state aid in some form or fashion?

don't lump me in there, or you can contact the Irs for me and chew their asses for all them damn Federal Income taxes they take from me...

jake, I WORK TWO jobs and TAKE NOTHING from the taxpayers...I have something called PRIDE

You really arent paying attention to what he actually said are you?

Sure I did. But please, I can use a laugh. Tell me your slant on it anyway. Tell me how he didn't say that 47% of Americans would rather depend on government than take responsibility for their own lives.

"MALE VOICE: For the past three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry. We'll take care of it." How are we gonna do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've gotta take care of yourself?

MITT ROMNEY: Well, there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right? There are 47% who are with him. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that-- that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they're entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. But that's-- it's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.
And-- and-- I mean the president starts off with 48%, 49%, 40-- or he-- he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every-- every four years.
And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. Whether they like the guy or not. What they-- what it looks like. I mean the-- it's the-- the-- when you ask those people-- we do all these polls. I find it amazing. We poll all these people, see where you stand in the polls. About 45% of the people will vote for the Republican and 48% or 49%-- "
Full video and transcript of leaked Romney fundraiser remarks - First Read

That's context for you!!

Good for you, Steph.

But I pay much more in federal income tax than you, yet I get my VA pension and medical care, Steph.

Stephanie, do you get federal or state aid in some form or fashion?

stop babbling...I don't care what you pay or do..

Who here is getting some form of government money while supporting Romney?

I am: I get my VA pension and my VA medical care.

Maple? Stephanie?

Who else?

Confession time, gang.

Miss 47% has arrived. When are you going to start taking responsibility for your own life?

don't lump me in there, or you can contact the Irs for me and chew their asses for all them damn Federal Income taxes they take from me...

Fucking liar.

Good for you, Steph.

stop babbling...I don't care what you pay or do..

So that's a yes, you don't pay income tax?

She does NOT pay federal income tax. She is a member of Romney's 47%.

And there is NO FUCKING WAY that she works more than 30 hours per week.

Same with Avatar.....one of he 47%.

Please. Educate me.

OK...

Do you really believe this many people suddenly 'seriously disabled' within the last 4 years?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Increases in Disability Enrollment vs Employment 2009 - 2012

2ih1e0i.png

Brooks is about as conservative as Frum. :lol:

Ottawa Citizen commentator David Warren has identified Brooks as the sort of conservative pundit that liberals like, someone who is "sophisticated" and "engages with" the liberal agenda, in contrast to a real conservative like Charles Krauthammer.

Brooks has long been a supporter of John McCain; however, he did not show a liking for McCain's 2008 running mate, Sarah Palin, calling her a "cancer" on the Republican Party.

He has referred to her as a "joke," unlikely to ever win the Republican nomination. But he later admitted during a CSPAN interview that he had gone too far in his previous "cancer" comments about Palin, which he regretted, and simply stated he was not a fan of her values

Nuff said.

David Brooks (journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A completely accurate assessment of Palin.

Like I said, his sanity makes him a rare gem in the GOP catalog.

Do you really believe this many people suddenly 'seriously disabled' within the last 4 years?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

2ih1e0i.png

I can't help but notice the blogger chose to start his graphic from 2009.

A 2006 report: The Growth in the Social Security Disability Rolls: A Fiscal Crisis Unfolding

In 1985, 2.2 percent of individuals between the ages of 25 and 64 were receiving DI benefits, but by 2005 this fraction had risen to 4.1 percent. If recent entry and exit rates continue in the years ahead, then more than 6 percent of the nonelderly adult population will soon be receiving DI benefits.

The rapid expansion of the beneficiary population has three main causes.

First, a set of congressional reforms in 1984 to Disability Insurance screening led to rapid growth in the share of recipients suffering from back pain and mental illness. Because these disorders have comparatively low mortality, the average duration of disability spells—and hence the size of the recipient population—has increased. Second, a rise in the after-tax DI income replacement rate—that is, the ratio of disability income to former labor earnings—strengthened the incentives for workers to seek benefits. Third, a rapid increase in female labor force participation expanded the pool of insured workers. The aging of the baby boom generation has contributed little to the rise of receipt of disability benefits, while improvements in population health have likely reduced the incidence of disabling medical disorders.

Obama did not create this entitlement problem.

Last edited:
So Stephanie and Avatar are like me: either Steph and Avatar are not paying taxes or like me, who does pay quite a bit in federal taxes, we are part of the 47% who will still vote for Romney.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

2ih1e0i.png

I can't help but notice the blogger chose to start his graphic from 2009.

A 2006 report: The Growth in the Social Security Disability Rolls: A Fiscal Crisis Unfolding

In 1985, 2.2 percent of individuals between the ages of 25 and 64 were receiving DI benefits, but by 2005 this fraction had risen to 4.1 percent. If recent entry and exit rates continue in the years ahead, then more than 6 percent of the nonelderly adult population will soon be receiving DI benefits.

The rapid expansion of the beneficiary population has three main causes.

First, a set of congressional reforms in 1984 to Disability Insurance screening led to rapid growth in the share of recipients suffering from back pain and mental illness. Because these disorders have comparatively low mortality, the average duration of disability spells—and hence the size of the recipient population—has increased. Second, a rise in the after-tax DI income replacement rate—that is, the ratio of disability income to former labor earnings—strengthened the incentives for workers to seek benefits. Third, a rapid increase in female labor force participation expanded the pool of insured workers. The aging of the baby boom generation has contributed little to the rise of receipt of disability benefits, while improvements in population health have likely reduced the incidence of disabling medical disorders.

Obama did not create this entitlement problem.

That wasn't the point, explain how the explosion was Bush's fault, if that is your implication. He didn't start disability payments either.

Please. Educate me.

OK...

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

2ih1e0i.png

Social Security Disability Enrollment Rising Due To Demographic Trends: CBO

CBO - Policy Options for the Social Security Disability Insurance Program
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/43421-DisabilityInsurance_screen.pdf

"The study, by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, found that the biggest jumps in the disabled population came from aging Baby Boomers. From 1996 through 2009 -- "the approximate period during which the baby-boom generation entered their 50s -- the share of disabled worker benefits awarded to older workers (age 45 and older) rose from 67 percent to 76 percent," the report said.

Meanwhile, the share of benefits going to younger workers -- between the ages of 25 to 44 -- fell from 31 percent to 22 percent.

"Baby boomers' aging would have boosted enrollment in the DI program even if no other factors had changed," the report said.

Add to that the fact that more women have entered the workforce since 1970, boosting the working population and creating a larger pool of people who can become disabled.

A change in the law during the Reagan administration that allowed more people with mental disabilities and musculoskeletal problems to qualify also increased the number of people on disability. In 1990, such people accounted for 38 percent of workers in the SSDI program. In 2010, the number had risen to 54 percent."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back