A conservative just called him Thurston Howell Romney

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Here is an op-ed by David Brooks. He voices the same outrage I feel over Romney's plutocrat comments. His comments are a slap in the face to the American working men, women and families who are the hardest working citizens on this planet!

Romney is the very antithesis of the great American Presidents I grew up with and trusted.

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

David Brooks excerpt:

Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. Yes, the entitlement state has expanded, but America remains one of the hardest-working nations on earth. Americans work longer hours than just about anyone else. Americans believe in work more than almost any other people. Ninety-two percent say that hard work is the key to success, according to a 2009 Pew Research Survey.

It says that Romney doesn’t know much about the political culture. Americans haven’t become childlike worshipers of big government. On the contrary, trust in government has declined. The number of people who think government spending promotes social mobility has fallen.

The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

Romney’s comments also reveal that he has lost any sense of the social compact. In 1987, during Ronald Reagan’s second term, 62 percent of Republicans believed that the government has a responsibility to help those who can’t help themselves. Now, according to the Pew Research Center, only 40 percent of Republicans believe that.

The Republican Party, and apparently Mitt Romney, too, has shifted over toward a much more hyperindividualistic and atomistic social view — from the Reaganesque language of common citizenship to the libertarian language of makers and takers. There’s no way the country will trust the Republican Party to reform the welfare state if that party doesn’t have a basic commitment to provide a safety net for those who suffer for no fault of their own.

The final thing the comment suggests is that Romney knows nothing about ambition and motivation. The formula he sketches is this: People who are forced to make it on their own have drive. People who receive benefits have dependency.

But, of course, no middle-class parent acts as if this is true. Middle-class parents don’t deprive their children of benefits so they can learn to struggle on their own. They shower benefits on their children to give them more opportunities — so they can play travel sports, go on foreign trips and develop more skills.

People are motivated when they feel competent. They are motivated when they have more opportunities. Ambition is fired by possibility, not by deprivation, as a tour through the world’s poorest regions makes clear.

more

howells.jpg
mrhowell.jpeg
Mitt-Romney-as-Thurston-Howell-III-79544633717.jpeg

Miss 47% has arrived. When are you going to start taking responsibility for your own life?

oh darn, Brooks got his panties in a bunch, again:lol:

Hey Steph, why don't you try a different approach. Try reading what Brooks is saying. Or do this, make a list of neighbors that are the loathsome people Romney called half of America. Can you spot them at the supermarket, shopping mall, on the highway???

I have admired and respected David Brooks from the moment I first heard of him lo these many years ago.

He's a very calm and rational-thinking person, which makes him a very rare gem in the Conservative catalog these days.

While I do not entirely agree with this particular commentary of his, I sense a subtext that the GOP is about to surrender this election and start looking to 2016.

Steph is poor. She has said so herself, yet she can't make the connection here that she supports someone that just said that she doesn't take responsibility for her life. Maybe Romney is right about her. Steph, was he right?

When she doesn't respond, we'll know everything we need to know.

I have admired and respected David Brooks from the moment I first heard of him lo these many years ago.

He's a very calm and rational-thinking person, which makes him a very rare gem in the Conservative catalog these days.

While I do not entirely agree with this particular commentary of his, I sense a subtext that the GOP is about to surrender this election and start looking to 2016.

They surrendered it the minute that they tried to find anyone but Romney, but still couldn't find a decent candidate.

Hey Steph, why don't you try a different approach. Try reading what Brooks is saying. Or do this, make a list of neighbors that are the loathsome people Romney called half of America. Can you spot them at the supermarket, shopping mall, on the highway???

don't care...you all didn't care when Obama called us, greedy, bible thumpers clinging to our guns...

Romney's problem is that he has never been true to himself. He does not believe the right wing fanatics who control the party would accept him for who he really is, and in that assessment he is entirely correct.

His capitulation to the maniacs is an unprincipled one and has been very discomfiting to observe.

I believe the real Romney could do better for America than the real Obama.

Now, we will probably never have the opportunity (Romney loves that word) to find out.

Last edited:
Brooks as a "Conservative" would be as if USMB published a newsletter and hired me to write for the Liberals

Brooks is about as conservative as Frum. :lol:

Ottawa Citizen commentator David Warren has identified Brooks as the sort of conservative pundit that liberals like, someone who is "sophisticated" and "engages with" the liberal agenda, in contrast to a real conservative like Charles Krauthammer.

Brooks has long been a supporter of John McCain; however, he did not show a liking for McCain's 2008 running mate, Sarah Palin, calling her a "cancer" on the Republican Party.

He has referred to her as a "joke," unlikely to ever win the Republican nomination. But he later admitted during a CSPAN interview that he had gone too far in his previous "cancer" comments about Palin, which he regretted, and simply stated he was not a fan of her values

Nuff said.

David Brooks (journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't care...you all didn't care when Obama called us, greedy, bible thumpers clinging to our guns...

But you did care, right? So why did you care then, but not now?

You do realize that he didnt address labor and working people whatsoeer in his statement?

It be nice if you guys werent manufacturing outrage. Look at what he actually said.

Forum List

Back