A bit of a tip to make your life easier...................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Yesterday, one of my neighbors brought over a remote control for his air conditioner that was no longer working. I told them it was probably because the battery had gone, and he needed a new one. He then asked if I could change it for him, as he wasn't sure if it had a battery, or where the compartment was located.

Well, in order to get to the battery compartment there is a TINY (and I mean almost microscopic) screw that has to come out before the battery compartment can be opened. When taking it out, the screw fell to the floor and I was thinking "great, gonna spend 30 min looking for the damn thing now", but fortunately, it was a linoleum floor, and the screw was found fairly quickly.

I then put the screw into a small bowl so I wouldn't lose it, changed the battery, and put the whole thing back together. But............this time, because I knew that it would be extremely easy to lose the screw, I held the remote over the bowl while putting it back in, so that if it fell, it would fall into the bowl.

My tip? When taking apart, or putting back together small electronic devices with really small screws for the battery (or other) compartments, hold the device over a bowl while removing or installing the screw. That way, it won't fall very far if it falls out, and you can locate it quickly without any headache.

Hope this helps some of you people so you don't have to buy another remote or other device because of losing a single screw.

Yesterday, one of my neighbors brought over a remote control for his air conditioner that was no longer working. I told them it was probably because the battery had gone, and he needed a new one. He then asked if I could change it for him, as he wasn't sure if it had a battery, or where the compartment was located.

Well, in order to get to the battery compartment there is a TINY (and I mean almost microscopic) screw that has to come out before the battery compartment can be opened. When taking it out, the screw fell to the floor and I was thinking "great, gonna spend 30 min looking for the damn thing now", but fortunately, it was a linoleum floor, and the screw was found fairly quickly.

I then put the screw into a small bowl so I wouldn't lose it, changed the battery, and put the whole thing back together. But............this time, because I knew that it would be extremely easy to lose the screw, I held the remote over the bowl while putting it back in, so that if it fell, it would fall into the bowl.

My tip? When taking apart, or putting back together small electronic devices with really small screws for the battery (or other) compartments, hold the device over a bowl while removing or installing the screw. That way, it won't fall very far if it falls out, and you can locate it quickly without any headache.

Hope this helps some of you people so you don't have to buy another remote or other device because of losing a single screw.

better to use a towel on a flat table,, a hard bowl could cause the screw to hit the edge and go to parts unknown ,,

better to use a towel on a flat table,, a hard bowl could cause the screw to hit the edge and go to parts unknown ,,

This screw was small enough that it could have become lost in the pile of the towel. Holding it over a shallow bowl in the center of it kept me from losing the screw, or having to dig it out of the towel fibers.

You're a good neighbor :)

This screw was small enough that it could have become lost in the pile of the towel. Holding it over a shallow bowl in the center of it kept me from losing the screw, or having to dig it out of the towel fibers.
the smaller the screw the finer the weave of the cloth,,

a bowl can work but I've had screws bounce of stuff and go a long ways, being that small would be hard to keep track of

the smaller the screw the finer the weave of the cloth,,

a bowl can work but I've had screws bounce of stuff and go a long ways, being that small would be hard to keep track of

Shallow Tupperware will keep that from happening. Not only can you hold the entire device over the bowl, but because it's shallow, it doesn't have a long enough distance to get enough inertia to bounce very high and go out of the bowl.

Shallow Tupperware will keep that from happening. Not only can you hold the entire device over the bowl, but because it's shallow, it doesn't have a long enough distance to get enough inertia to bounce very high and go out of the bowl.
one things for sure,, what ever engineer decided to put little screws like that in a service port is an asshole,,

I have known about LITTLE THINGS from my childhood-----my dad fixed watches----those old
fashioned things with the teensy tiny gears and
the MAIN SPRING-----that made a nice little toy.
Every now and then he said "DON'T WALK HERE"---
as he searched around on the floor next to his watch
makers bench

A bit of a tip to make your life easier...................​

Dont be a fucking dumbass and vote in a Democrat, who wants to screw over America.

Forum List

Back