A bit early

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
1488891478482.jpg

Firefighters from across Kansas and Oklahoma battle a wildfire near Protection, Kan., Monday, March 6, 2017. (Bo Rader/The Wichita Eagle via AP) (The Wichita Eagle)

STERLING, Colo. – Wildfires burning in Colorado, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma have forced evacuations and destroyed several buildings.

A pair of fires in the Texas Panhandle burned more than 100 square miles. One of the blazes near Amarillo threatened about 150 homes.

In Colorado, a fire in rural Logan County burned more than 45 square miles, forced the evacuation of three schools and threatened as many as 900 homes. The Logan County Emergency Management Office said at least four structures, including three homes, were destroyed.
Crews fight fires in Colorado, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma

Seems like this starts earlier every year.

1488891478482.jpg

Firefighters from across Kansas and Oklahoma battle a wildfire near Protection, Kan., Monday, March 6, 2017. (Bo Rader/The Wichita Eagle via AP) (The Wichita Eagle)

STERLING, Colo. – Wildfires burning in Colorado, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma have forced evacuations and destroyed several buildings.

A pair of fires in the Texas Panhandle burned more than 100 square miles. One of the blazes near Amarillo threatened about 150 homes.

In Colorado, a fire in rural Logan County burned more than 45 square miles, forced the evacuation of three schools and threatened as many as 900 homes. The Logan County Emergency Management Office said at least four structures, including three homes, were destroyed.
Crews fight fires in Colorado, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma

Seems like this starts earlier every year.

Not funny Rocksy. I think your cult involvement is taking a toll on your judgement. Where's the proof here? Is there a CAUSE for this? Is it the 1degC thing AGAIN???

Can we blame climate change for February's record-breaking heat?
Oklahoma just saw temperatures close to triple digits

February is usually marked by snowflakes, sleigh bells, and warm woolen mittens. But this year’s silver white winter prematurely melted into spring.

Check the weather readout from Oklahoma.

Earlier this month, the Sooner State endured an uncommonly hot spell. Mangum, Oklahoma saw temperatures close to 100º F, setting a state record. The average February high in Mangum is 56º F.

1-ntqcqxr7jn5rcvraspzhta.png

Mesonet

Oklahoma on February 11th, 2017

The heat comes courtesy of the Pacific jet stream, which has delivered a deluge to California and warmer weather to the rest of the country. Texas, Kansas and Colorado all saw record-breaking heat. Toasty weather and moist air have fueled tornadoes and thunderstorms in Middle America.

The jet stream would deliver rain to California and warm air to the rest of the country independent of climate change. But it is extremely unusual to see such sweltering temperatures in the dead of winter. Climate change might be making the jet stream effect stronger, but it's also loading the dice when it comes to temperature: carbon pollution traps heat, warming the planet. This, in turn, shifts the entire distribution of temperatures. In other words, the jet stream's hot days get even hotter.

1-ihrixppxuyux-geaqw2t1a.gif

Cold days become more rare, while warm days become routine. The hottest days — the ones that break records — are almost invariably linked to human influence. In this new climate system, extreme heat is far more likely than extreme cold. Over the last year, the United States has seen more than four times as many record high temperatures as record lows. The heat in Oklahoma is just the latest example.

1-679zl95udu7a_elz-i3s4a.png

Does seem to be a connection.

Best February ever
Heating bill was low
No plowing
No shoveling
No closing the business due to weather

I hope next Feb is just as good

Same here. Not even one snow this year and almost no rain. Our lake is very low and farmers don't have water for their crops.

Only one snow last year - less than 2 inches.

The midwest is known for the snowstorms but not any more.

Best February ever
Heating bill was low
No plowing
No shoveling

All true but I doubt the small family farms are celebrating not having water for their crops and livestock. As it continues to get worse, your food costs will reflect that and small family farms will go belly up. Yeah, that will make RWs happy.

Best February ever
Heating bill was low
No plowing
No shoveling

All true but I doubt the small family farms are celebrating not having water for their crops and livestock. As it continues to get worse, your food costs will reflect that and small family farms will go belly up. Yeah, that will make RWs happy.

If it gets worse

Many people may welcome a temperate day in February, but warm weather in normally cold months disrupts ecosystems. Trees may bloom after an unseasonably balmy stretch — and then suffer frost damage when cold weather returns. Flowers may blossom and shed their petals before bees arrive to pollinate them. These minor destabilizations have a ripple effect, impacting flora, fauna, and the industries built around them.

1-xs56lwntolsvkiosiaocyw.png

Comfortable for selfish fools, not so for many that depend on weather.

Many people may welcome a temperate day in February, but warm weather in normally cold months disrupts ecosystems. Trees may bloom after an unseasonably balmy stretch — and then suffer frost damage when cold weather returns. Flowers may blossom and shed their petals before bees arrive to pollinate them. These minor destabilizations have a ripple effect, impacting flora, fauna, and the industries built around them.

1-xs56lwntolsvkiosiaocyw.png

Comfortable for selfish fools, not so for many that depend on weather.

Yeah -- we had a mild winter down here.. So Freaking What? MANY years down here we have Cherry trees start to bloom in February. Did the blossoms CAUSE this fire? What does this chart look like for the past FORTY years?

Did you check the DROUGHT MAP?

Best February ever
Heating bill was low
No plowing
No shoveling

If it gets worse

Hmmm ... its gotten worse every year for quite a while. Or do you know something the scientists don't?

Oh wait ...

Never mind.

20170228_usdm_home.png

This shows me "in abnormaly dry" as of end of Feb. TODAY we got an inch of rain to END all that. That's not climate. Also you see any EXTRAORDINARY conditions in the fire zone? No you don't.

You don't even have a declared CAUSE --- but you're off on the prosteletyzing and door to door salvation act AGAIN here today.. Is there a band of "AGW's Witnesses" that you've joined or something??

I see, then 80 to 99 degree temps are the norm for Oklahoma in the second week of February. And grass fires measured in tens of square miles are the norm for the end of February and first week of March. Glad nothing abnormal is happening there.

Wildfires continue to spread in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas

Burned areas and wildfire smoke can be seen in this 3:45 p.m. infrared satellite image from Tuesday. Click to enlarge.

The wildfires that grew to blacken hundreds of thousands of acres continue to grow larger in Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma on Tuesday.

In the map below the red dots represent wildfire heat detected by a satellite at 12:57 p.m. CST March 7, 2017. The white line was the very rough, approximate perimeter we developed from heat detected by satellites on Monday. The fires are still growing on Tuesday, spreading toward the southeast, pushed by strong west and northwest winds gusting at 20 to 40 mph. The relative humidity in the western two-thirds of Kansas has fallen Wednesday to the single digits.

The towns of Protection and Coldwater in Kansas are threatened.

Wildfires continue to spread in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas

More normalcy.

I see, then 80 to 99 degree temps are the norm for Oklahoma in the second week of February. And grass fires measured in tens of square miles are the norm for the end of February and first week of March. Glad nothing abnormal is happening there.

Strawman

Three fires near OK-KS border burned over 800,000 acres

OK-KS-fire-complex-map.jpg

Three fires near the border between Kansas and Oklahoma are being managed as the NW Oklahoma Complex of Fires, comprised of the Starbuck, 283, and Selman Fires. The Starbuck fire, by far the largest, began east of of Beaver, Oklahoma and ran to the northeast into Oklahoma. The city of Ashland, 40 miles away, had to be evacuated and was later surrounded by the fire.

George Geissler, the Director of Oklahoma Forestry Services, announced on Wednesday that together these three fires have burned over 833,941 acres.

Other fires are burning in Kansas, Colorado, and in the Texas panhandle.

Wildfire in northwest Colorado burns 30,000 acres

LoganCountyFire_IR.jpg

Above: An infrared image of a wildfire in Logan and Phillips counties in Colorado, from Colorado’s MultiMission Aircraft, Wednesday morning.

Below is an excerpt from a Tuesday morning news release by Logan County Emergency Management about a wildfire in the northeast corner of Colorado that has burned at least 30,000 acres.

Three fires in Texas panhandle have burned over 400,000 acres

Map_Texas_Fires_3-8-2017.jpg

Above: A map of the northern part of the Texas panhandle shows the three large fires in the area. The dots represent heat detected by satellites, with the red ones being the most recent.

In addition to the wildfires that have burned hundreds of thousands of acres in Kansas and northwestern Oklahoma, firefighters in the northern part of the Texas panhandle have been very busy in the last two days. According to the Texas Forest Service on Tuesday, at least 436,000 acres have burned in three large fires.

Wildfire Today

More normalcy.

Did you check the DROUGHT MAP?

Why?

You understand precipitation and temperature are different things, don't you?

What does posting a drought map have to do with the fact that temperatures are shooting up?

Gee whiz Squidward -- don't know. I guess the tie between forest fires and GW MUST be stronger than the tie between forest fires and drought. And I guess there ARE no drought effects from GW huh. Let's ask Rocksie about all that. I'm confused.. :rolleyes:

The tie is extreme weather events. Texas recently experianced a drought and fires in which 300,000,000 trees died. Then last year they have record breaking rainfalls which cost lives and billions of dollars. Now they are into drought again, and have prairie fires burning hundreds of thousands of acres. In early March, yet.

The jet stream would deliver rain to California and warm air to the rest of the country independent of climate change. But it is extremely unusual to see such sweltering temperatures in the dead of winter. Climate change might be making the jet stream effect stronger, but it's also loading the dice when it comes to temperature: carbon pollution traps heat, warming the planet. This, in turn, shifts the entire distribution of temperatures. In other words, the jet stream's hot days get even hotter.

1-ihrixppxuyux-geaqw2t1a.gif

Forum List

Back