A Biden Administration -- Virtue Signaling and Gestures

AmericanGirl05

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2012
Our nation's capital
In today's WaPo there is an article about what Joe (read: his advisers and handlers) are planning for his Administration. They are taking seriously the Constitutionally questionable idea that he put forth a "shadow government" during the pandemic and that he name his transition coordinator very soon (Read: measuring the drapes. We know how those tend to turn out).

But I digress. Joe has already mentioned that he wants a woman for VP and will appoint a black woman to the USSC. You know, I thought we passed a Civil Rights law that prohibited job selection on the basis of race and/or gender. So right there I'd say he's breaking the law. Not to mention pandering big time.

But then it goes on to discuss his Cabinet. First, that he would look for Bush Administration alums for national security type jobs. #NeverTrumpers, anyone? Didn't we elect Donald Trump specifically to get rid of the guys who brought you Iraq and the endless AF war?

Then it says that he will elevate two WH staff offices into Cabinet positions and establish another. As a retired employee of EPA who was there during the debate and eventually unsuccessful attempt to properly make EPA a Cabinet office, through legislation (died because of bipartisan opposition), I find that Presidents just deciding "poof! You're a Cabinet officer!" is probably contrary to existing law. Anyway, the whole concept of the Cabinet, as opposed to the WH staff, is that Cabinet officers (even the current ones who were elevated without benefit of legislation) have LINE authority to do the government's business. To implement legislation and write regulations and enforce those regulations, by law. They aren't WH staff writing papers and coordinating meetings to advise the President. So I find elevating this staff to Cabinet rank to be a joke, frankly.

The staff he intends to elevate are the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, which was around when I was an undergraduate student in the early 70s, to elevate the previously downgraded head of the staff coordinating pandemics in the National Security Council, and to create a new, over EPA (and presumably over the Council on Environmental Quality) climate change coordinator. We have a National Science Foundation and a whole host of other agencies with line authority to implement science policy -- NIH, NOAA, EPA, Interior, Agriculture, NASA, to name a few. We also have an EPA. And a pandemic coordinator? Strikes me as fulfilling what I call one of the Rules of Bureaucracy -- We fight the last war, not the next one.

Anyway, these are gestures. They are for appearances sake. They do nothing to advance any agenda other than a PR one. Of course, coming out of the Obama Administration it's not surprising that Joe would think this is the way you govern because that's how Obama operated.

And they are virtue signaling. See? Joe cares about these things.

Joe has been an empty suit his entire political career. Looks like his Presidency (unlikely though that is) would just be a continuation of that.

Well, the template for a 'shadow Gov't' was constructed by the Obama Administration, so Beijing Biden would have an easy time reinvigorating one!
Of course, Obama and his people are directing this.

To some extent, in most Administrations (Trump's being somewhat although not totally the exception) all the politicals from the previous party come back one level up.

You know, I thought we passed a Civil Rights law that prohibited job selection on the basis of race and/or gender. So right there I'd say he's breaking the law. Not to mention pandering big time.

It's not a job interview or a 'posted position' at some company.

He can pick anyone he wants.

Reaching for straws, desperate to take attention away from the Flawed POTUS.

You know, I thought we passed a Civil Rights law that prohibited job selection on the basis of race and/or gender. So right there I'd say he's breaking the law. Not to mention pandering big time.

It's not a job interview or a 'posted position' at some company.

He can pick anyone he wants.

Reaching for straws, desperate to take attention away from the Flawed POTUS.
It is not true that one can bypass civil rights law just because you don't post the position or interview for it.

And, sure. He can pick whoever he wants. But it doesn't make it right.

In today's WaPo there is an article about what Joe (read: his advisers and handlers) are planning for his Administration. They are taking seriously the Constitutionally questionable idea that he put forth a "shadow government" during the pandemic and that he name his transition coordinator very soon (Read: measuring the drapes. We know how those tend to turn out).

But I digress. Joe has already mentioned that he wants a woman for VP and will appoint a black woman to the USSC. You know, I thought we passed a Civil Rights law that prohibited job selection on the basis of race and/or gender. So right there I'd say he's breaking the law. Not to mention pandering big time.

But then it goes on to discuss his Cabinet. First, that he would look for Bush Administration alums for national security type jobs. #NeverTrumpers, anyone? Didn't we elect Donald Trump specifically to get rid of the guys who brought you Iraq and the endless AF war?

Then it says that he will elevate two WH staff offices into Cabinet positions and establish another. As a retired employee of EPA who was there during the debate and eventually unsuccessful attempt to properly make EPA a Cabinet office, through legislation (died because of bipartisan opposition), I find that Presidents just deciding "poof! You're a Cabinet officer!" is probably contrary to existing law. Anyway, the whole concept of the Cabinet, as opposed to the WH staff, is that Cabinet officers (even the current ones who were elevated without benefit of legislation) have LINE authority to do the government's business. To implement legislation and write regulations and enforce those regulations, by law. They aren't WH staff writing papers and coordinating meetings to advise the President. So I find elevating this staff to Cabinet rank to be a joke, frankly.

The staff he intends to elevate are the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, which was around when I was an undergraduate student in the early 70s, to elevate the previously downgraded head of the staff coordinating pandemics in the National Security Council, and to create a new, over EPA (and presumably over the Council on Environmental Quality) climate change coordinator. We have a National Science Foundation and a whole host of other agencies with line authority to implement science policy -- NIH, NOAA, EPA, Interior, Agriculture, NASA, to name a few. We also have an EPA. And a pandemic coordinator? Strikes me as fulfilling what I call one of the Rules of Bureaucracy -- We fight the last war, not the next one.

Anyway, these are gestures. They are for appearances sake. They do nothing to advance any agenda other than a PR one. Of course, coming out of the Obama Administration it's not surprising that Joe would think this is the way you govern because that's how Obama operated.

Joe has been an empty suit his entire political career. Looks like his Presidency (unlikely though that is) would just be a continuation of that.
It's not really joe talking
I said it weeks ago you almost could feel sorry for joe if it wasn't for that hes a swamp crook

Tim is angwy

lies.png

I said it weeks ago you almost could feel sorry for joe if it wasn't for that hes a swamp crook

Tim is angwy

Of course it's not Joe. It's his handlers, most of them Obamaites.

Tim is angwy

Of course it's not Joe. It's his handlers, most of them Obamaites.

Along with sore loser Hillaryites!

If you did that in your business, you would be sued.

So trump should be sued for picking a (R) as VP.
See how stupid your argument sounds.
I think you know nothing about recruiting and staffing and the laws that apply.

Oh, I totally get it, what I don't get is you saying how Biden broke the law by saying he wanted a woman as VP, but it is ok for trump or any other past POTUS to select a (R).
Happens ALL the time, even in the SCOTUS.
We should sue McConnell for denying Garland his chance.
Right, or is that different?

If you did that in your business, you would be sued.

So trump should be sued for picking a (R) as VP.
See how stupid your argument sounds.
I think you know nothing about recruiting and staffing and the laws that apply.

Oh, I totally get it, what I don't get is you saying how Biden broke the law by saying he wanted a woman as VP, but it is ok for trump or any other past POTUS to select a (R).
Happens ALL the time, even in the SCOTUS.
We should sue McConnell for denying Garland his chance.
Right, or is that different?
First of all, there is no law against discriminating in employment against someone of a particular political party.

Garland's rejection has nothing to do with civil rights law.

Forum List

Back