A 400‐year ice core melt layer record of summertime warming in the Alaska Range

Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
Here is a science paper published recently, that while it appears to be good research, they seems to have forgotten something crucial that greatly reduces the significance of their claims.

From Journal of Geophysical Research

A 400‐year ice core melt layer record of summertime warming in the Alaska Range

Dominic Winski Erich Osterberg Karl Kreutz Cameron Wake
David Ferris Seth Campbell Mark Baum
Adriana Bailey Sean Birkel Douglas Introne
Mike Handley

First published: 23 March 2018

EXCERPT:

Abstract
Warming in high‐elevation regions has societally important impacts on glacier mass balance, water resources, and sensitive alpine ecosystems, yet very few high‐elevation temperature records exist from the middle or high latitudes. While a variety of paleoproxy records provide critical temperature records from low elevations over recent centuries, melt layers preserved in alpine glaciers present an opportunity to develop calibrated, annually‐resolved temperature records from high elevations. Here we present a 400‐year temperature proxy record based on the melt‐layer stratigraphy of two ice cores collected from Mt. Hunter in Denali National Park in the Central Alaska Range. The ice core record shows a 60‐fold increase in water equivalent total annual melt between the pre‐industrial period (before 1850 CE) and present day. We calibrate the melt record to summer temperatures based on weather station data from the ice core drill site, and find that the increase in melt production represents a summer warming rate of at least 1.92 +/‐ 0.31° C/century during the last 100 years, exceeding rates of temperature increase at most low elevation sites in Alaska. The Mt. Hunter melt layer record is significantly (p < 0.05) correlated with surface temperatures in the central tropical Pacific through a Rossby‐wave like pattern that enhances high temperatures over Alaska. Our results show that rapid alpine warming has taken place in the Alaska Range for at least a century and that conditions in the tropical oceans contribute to this warming.

LINK

More bullshit. What was the core temp 12,000 years ago?

This corresponds to roughly a 2°C increase in summer temperature, which is faster than summertime warming in Alaska near sea level. We suggest that warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean has contributed to the rapid warming on Mt. Hunter by enhancing high‐pressure systems over Alaska.

Weird how the Pacific didn't raise sealevel (aka coastal/lower elevation temps), but is suppose to make mountains warmer....

This corresponds to roughly a 2°C increase in summer temperature, which is faster than summertime warming in Alaska near sea level. We suggest that warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean has contributed to the rapid warming on Mt. Hunter by enhancing high‐pressure systems over Alaska.

Weird how the Pacific didn't raise sealevel (aka coastal/lower elevation temps), but is suppose to make mountains warmer....

I am not disputing the probable warming. It is what the scientists fail to realize about something that is main CAUSE of melting of ice and snow. I am sure warmists will come here in frenzied excitement about it, but also will miss why it is not surprising that it is melting a bit.

Notice the climate change cultists include alleged temperature data from the last ice age but there was another ice age before that. Here we are in the greatest climate in the last 15 thousand years and lefties have to turn it into bad news and a political extortion scheme. The Sun is a fickle beast and absolute zero is the norm in the galaxy so be careful what you wish for.

Whitehall, you are an ignorant bastard, the climate 6000 years ago was warmer. Since then we have been in a cooling trend, until the Industrial Revolution.

I am really disappointed in the comments, since no one has yet divined what the scientists are missing, when they go and on about warming and melting in their paper.

Does anyone here noticed what is not mentioned in the paper?

I am really disappointed in the comments, since no one has yet divined what the scientists are missing, when they go and on about warming and melting in their paper.

The big thing that jumps out to me is the fact that it is a high pressure system that is trapped over Alaska by the warming Pacific from the equatorial regions. The ice melt is not because of man caused warming, but because of changes in the global air flow patterns. They also don't mention the Mt Hunter is a transverse mountain so the cores from the south facing regions would not be representative of the actual temp in the region. Of course they don't bother to mention WHERE they got their whole TWO core samples from, but that is what stuck out to me.

The big thing that jumps out to me is the fact that it is a high pressure system that is trapped over Alaska by the warming Pacific from the equatorial regions. The ice melt is not because of man caused warming, but because of changes in the global air flow patterns. They also don't mention the Mt Hunter is a transverse mountain so the cores from the south facing regions would not be representative of the actual temp in the region. Of course they don't bother to mention WHERE they got their whole TWO core samples from, but that is what stuck out to me.

That is a fine comment, but still doesn't point out what the Scientists seem to overlook that helps explain why there are some melting going on.

Read the paper, they haven't mentioned it at all.

That is a fine comment, but still doesn't point out what the Scientists seem to overlook that helps explain why there are some melting going on.

Read the paper, they haven't mentioned it at all.

I will later. I just got back home so am getting caught up on my other duties!

I still haven't read the paper but if you are referring to the fact that their data set covers the Little Ice Age, and the corresponding recovery from that (which falls nicely in their time band), don't hold your breath. Only legit climatologists bring those facts up.

Westwall, figured it out that the scientists fail to account for the main cause why there is increased melting, because the Mountain range is no longer in the LIA climatology thus not surprising that there will be melting.

Glacier Bay used to have ice into the bay in the mid 1700's, today it has receded for many miles up to where Muir glacier is now, all because the LIA climatology was receding for many years.

Warmists wail a lot over receding melting glaciers such as in Glacier National Park, which is receding slowly. They say it unnatural when in reality is all part of climate changes over the centuries. It was at a peak during the LIA, but now that it has been warming for 300 years, it should be no surprise that it is melting back.

I see that warmists staying away from this thread, gee I wonder why........

In most cases, MOUNTAIN glaciers melting back is BECAUSE we are no longer in the LIA climatology, thus not a surprise that they are getting smaller.

Warmists who are often easily manipulated, will shriek that it is a sign of global warming (AGW) over melting MOUNTAIN glaciers. They did it over Glacier peak in Montana, Muir glacier in Alaska and so on.

Exit glacier was visited by a President who wanted to milk a LIE that it melting because of some extra CO2 molecules floating around in the air, when it actually started melting back in early 1800's, when it was at its peak, which is 200 years ago, long before CO2 started going up in the atmosphere.

It was a lie created by warmists loons who wanted to exploit a glacier that melted back in 1.5 miles lengths, but most of it before 1950.

LINK

Forum List

Back