95% of Marines uncomfortable serving with openly gay troops

And I thought Marines were tough

Being tough has nothing to do with the need to watch your 6 in a friendly environment.

The issue here is about quarters. We separate the sexes to prevent fraternization.

Your solution to a very real problem would be?

Every other country in NATO allows gays to serve openly. They don't have any problems with quarters. Are soldiers in other countries tougher than our sensitive Marines?

And maybe it comes down to the definition of "quarters"

Normally, and unlike the army and airforce, Marines live in squadbays in barracks. It might help to understand the kind of "exposure" marines are subjected to in their living accommodations: The showers are open, any number of men are together and nude in the showers. The stools in the head are not enclosed in stalls but are lined up along a wall, the same with urinals; no side boards for privacy.

On a troop ship "stools" or "commodes" don't exist; men sit on rails or heavy pipes which are situated over a long open trough or basin in which sea water flows in and under and out to dump into the ocean. This trough is exposed on all sides, meaning all sides of the users are exposed; their butts are totally exposed to the view of their fellows. They live in open barracks rather than in compartments so that they generally walk around in their "skivies."

Marines are probably just as tolerant of homosexuals as anyone else, but under the circumstances in which they live they may be less willing to be reminded that someone in proximity may view them with a sexual interest.

I knew there were some guys in my Marine Corps unit who might lean that way, and didn't give them any thought at all, but the operational word here is "openly." which corresponds with a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

I was raised and in jr. and sr. highschool in the 50's. Nothing was made of "gayness" in those days, but in more recent years, it is common in highschool, or junior high for these kids to hurl an epithet like "faggot" at someone as a way of turning them into a monster. I wonder why so much has changed between then and now?

It may be that our American males of youthful age are not so well accepting, and adjusted as compared to Europeans, and the USMC's recruits are overwhelmingly 18-19 years of age, just out of high-school.

Unit cohesiveness, as the general mentioned and as he sees it requires the kinds of living condition/accommodations I described above. That is a big part of why it's done that way; privacy is not natural in those conditons, nor is it desireable. Even junior NCO's live in the same squadbay as do all privates and PFCs. Early on, in boot camp, the recruits were not given a choice about selecting a moment when the showers were more to the recruits liking pertaining to privacy. Sixty guys were forced to strip down que-up.

Last edited:
I was raised and in jr. and sr. highschool in the 50's. Nothing was made of "gayness" in those days, but in more recent years, it is common in highschool, or junior high for these kids to hurl an epithet like "faggot" at someone as a way of turning them into a monster. I wonder why so much has changed between then and now?

People have gotten meaner.

People have gotten meaner.
Probably so to some degree; But having it in their faces so much as it is today, may make some young 'men,' already insecure by nature of being "juveniles" act out on their fears. Fear is transumatable into anger, and by acting out anger from their fears they can in effect say "I'm not like that"

As a former Royal Marine, I would not feel uncomfortable serving with an openly gay guy
who had passed the Commando course and earned the coveted green beret, I would call him Brother, I would advise him that any 2nd attempt at a pass would involve him in a trip to the Hospital

Even if this is true..which it may well be..all other branches of the military don't have any problem with serving with openly gay people.

Couple that with restricting people's rights to serve their country flies in the face of exactly what this country was founded on.

It's niether a Right, nor since Vietnam is it a Requirement.

ALL Branches Reject People for Various Reasons...

:)

peace...

As a former Royal Marine, I would not feel uncomfortable serving with an openly gay guy
who had passed the Commando course and earned the coveted green beret, I would call him Brother, I would advise him that any 2nd attempt at a pass would involve him in a trip to the Hospital

:lol:

Appropriate..and cool.

Even if this is true..which it may well be..all other branches of the military don't have any problem with serving with openly gay people.

Couple that with restricting people's rights to serve their country flies in the face of exactly what this country was founded on.

peace...

The "Military" does not..and should never tell the civilian government about guidelines for recruits. Suggestions are welcome.

Piece.

:up:

peace...

The "Military" does not..and should never tell the civilian government about guidelines for recruits. Suggestions are welcome.

Piece.

:up:

I see you didn't Disagree about Serving NOT being a Right...

You also Lose Rights many of when you Sign up...

peace...

Being tough has nothing to do with the need to watch your 6 in a friendly environment.

The issue here is about quarters. We separate the sexes to prevent fraternization.

Your solution to a very real problem would be?

Every other country in NATO allows gays to serve openly. They don't have any problems with quarters. Are soldiers in other countries tougher than our sensitive Marines?

Normally, and unlike the army and airforce, Marines live in squadbays in barracks. It might help to understand the kind of "exposure" marines are subjected to in their living accommodations: The showers are open, any number of men are together and nude in the showers. The stools in the head are not enclosed in stalls but are lined up along a wall, the same with urinals; no side boards for privacy.

On a troop ship "stools" or "commodes" don't exist; men sit on rails or heavy pipes which are situated over a long open trough or basin in which sea water flows in and under and out to dump into the ocean. This trough is exposed on all sides, meaning all sides of the users are exposed; their butts are totally exposed to the view of their fellows. They live in open barracks rather than in compartments so that they generally walk around in their "skivies."

Marines are probably just as tolerant of homosexuals as anyone else, but under the circumstances in which they live they may be less willing to be reminded that someone in proximity may view them with a sexual interest.

I knew there were some guys in my Marine Corps unit who might lean that way, and didn't give them any thought at all, but the operational word here is "openly." which corresponds with a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

It may be that our American males of youthful age are not so well accepting, and adjusted as compared to Europeans, and the USMC's recruits are overwhelmingly 18-19 years of age, just out of high-school.

Unit cohesiveness, as the general mentioned and as he sees it requires the kinds of living condition/accommodations I described above. That is a big part of why it's done that way; privacy is not natural in those conditons, nor is it desireable. Even junior NCO's live in the same squadbay as do all privates and PFCs. Early on, in boot camp, the recruits were not given a choice about selecting a moment when the showers were more to the recruits liking pertaining to privacy. Sixty guys were forced to strip down que-up.

Oh my god!

A gay man might see your weenie! No wonder our Marines are so afraid

Oh my god!

Hey troll... Why does the Military Segregate the Genders?...

And should it stop?

peace...

Oh my god!

And should it stop?

peace...

Big fucking deal

There are gays in the military under DADT. There are no problems with other men seeing each others weenies. Gays shower with straights in civialian life. Why are soldiers so sensitive ?

Grow the fuck up for crying out loud

Oh my god!

And should it stop?

peace...

Big fucking deal

There are gays in the military under DADT. There are no problems with other men seeing each others weenies. Gays shower with straights in civialian life. Why are soldiers so sensitive ?

Again:

And should it stop?

peace...

And should it stop?

peace...

Big fucking deal

Again:

And should it stop?

peace...

Are you claiming our soldiers are a bunch of mamby pambies afraid to be seen by a gay man?

In civilian life..

- Do they have seperate restrooms for gays?
- Gay athletes openly shower with straight atheletes
- Health clubs have openly gay members shower with straight members

Why is it our soldiers are suddenly so sensitive?

Last edited:
Integration of Negro and White TroopsU.S. Army, Europe, 1952-1954

Integration of Negro and White Troops in the U.S. Army, Europe, 1952-1954
Idiotic comparison rdean

Race = biologically determined and 100% natural and normal.

Homosexuality = chosen/learned behavior and abnormal

Really?

What kind of guy were you attracted to before you decided not to be?

Was it a "hairy, manly" one like this?

l_9dd2c2ae09fedf6fddbbeb697522bb4d.jpg

Perhaps you liked the younger, smoother type:

.aaaaaaaaborg22.jpg

Maybe a gray beard?

What made you "choose"? Do you still have "feelings"?

So one person called this "juvenile". But not a single person who claims it's a choice will explain "how" it's a choice? Not one? Not a single one?

Why not? Answer. How were you able to choose? How did you suppress your "same sex" feelings?

Come on now. If the answer is so obvious, then give us the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The homosexuals will be fragged, and shot in the back! if they persist with their coming out of the closet
in the U.S. military.

Forum List

Back