95% of Marines uncomfortable serving with openly gay troops

Solace

Rookie
Oct 29, 2010
Wow, this is shocking, so much for LGBT rights in the military. Despite this, I still believe they should repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, what are your thoughts on this?

WASHINGTON -- As many as 95 percent of Marines would be uncomfortable serving alongside openly gay troops, the retiring commandant of the Marine Corps told Fox News in an exclusive interview.
Gen. James Conway told Fox News' Jennifer Griffin that a majority of his men and women think a repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy barring gays from serving openly will be problematic, so he has to believe that, too.

"When we take a survey of our Marines, by and large, they say that they are concerned that it will cause potential problems with regard to their order and discipline -- that it will impact their sense of unit cohesion," Conway said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...arns-uncomfortable-serving-openly-gay-troops/

don't post entire articles and always link them. it'd be nice if you read the rules.- del

Last edited by a moderator:
WASHINGTON -- As many as 95 percent of Marines would be uncomfortable serving alongside openly gay troops, the retiring commandant of the Marine Corps told Fox News in an exclusive interview.

And he is basing this opinion on what evidence? His own bigotry it would seem considering...

A majority of active-duty and reserve service members surveyed by the Defense Department would not object to serving and living alongside openly gay troops, according to multiple people familiar with the findings.

Most troops wouldn't oppose serving with gays

That ought to pull the rug out from under "It's not the policy" McCain...

Screw them. whiney asses.
Uncomfortable? What do the jackwagons expect? It is the Marines. It is not supposed to be comfiortable. War is never comfortable for the ground pounders. The only comfort is found in the ranks of those sending Marines to war and death.

does this mean the other 5% are gay? Or just reasonable people secure in their own sexuality?

Last edited:
Let the Military decide for themselves. They put their lives at risk for us, the least we can do is defend their right to decide when, how or if DADT is canned.

And I thought Marines were tough

Being tough has nothing to do with the need to watch your 6 in a friendly environment.

The issue here is about quarters. We separate the sexes to prevent fraternization.

Your solution to a very real problem would be?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I don't get the problem here. Whats so umcomfortable about being in the same room with someone who is gay. Are they afraid they are gonna get raped or something? If they are incapable of doing their job thats one thing but all things the same but they happen to be gay then I don't see the problem.

Not really that shocking. The issue is living quarters.

Should we be expecting the men and the women to be showering together now?

Women, would you be comfortable having daily showers next to countless men? If not, could you understand why some might?

There is bound to be friction. Wish there wasn't. but people are human.

Being tough has nothing to do with the need to watch your 6 in a friendly environment.

The issue here is about quarters. We separate the sexes to prevent fraternization.

Every other country in NATO allows gays to serve openly. They don't have any problems with quarters. Are soldiers in other countries tougher than our sensitive Marines?

Screw them. whiney asses.
Uncomfortable? What do the jackwagons expect? It is the Marines. It is not supposed to be comfiortable. War is never comfortable for the ground pounders. The only comfort is found in the ranks of those sending Marines to war and death.

does this mean the other 5% are gay? Or just reasonable people secure in their own sexuality?

Do you have any idea how much is spent in an effort to make our troops comfortable enough to do their job ? Poor morale will hinder any group effort. Aren't they already hamstrung enough by idiotic ROE ?

Wow, this is shocking, so much for LGBT rights in the military. Despite this, I still believe they should repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, what are your thoughts on this?

Gen. James Conway told Fox News' Jennifer Griffin that a majority of his men and women think a repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy barring gays from serving openly will be problematic, so he has to believe that, too.

"When we take a survey of our Marines, by and large, they say that they are concerned that it will cause potential problems with regard to their order and discipline -- that it will impact their sense of unit cohesion," Conway said.

Gen. Conway was the first member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to speak out against a repeal earlier this year after Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen publicly endorsed President Obama's desire to change the law.

Conway plans to retire Oct. 22 after 40 years of service with the Marines. He's only the second Marines chief ever to serve his entire tenure as commandant during wartime.

And wartime, he said, is "probably not the time" to change the military's policy on gays.

Right now, there are 20,000 Marines serving in Afghanistan. Conway told Fox he "wouldn't hazard a guess" as to how many are gay, but he think it's a small percentage, in the "low single digits."

Conway says these few gays don't cause a problem now because their homosexuality is not known publicly. But he said if their sexuality does become public, "90 to 95 percent of the Marines" he has informally surveyed are concerned about the consequences. Conway cited impromptu surveys he has conducted by a "show of hands" among Marines at town hall style meetings.

Late Thursday, Obama's Justice Department requested that California U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips allow the military to continue enforcing the gay ban during the appeal of her landmark ruling Tuesday, which declared the law unconstitutional.

The move amounted to an admission from the White House that they would not let this policy be legislated in the courts, that it had to be decided by Congress. Congress has failed once already this year to pass a change the law, even with a majority of Democrats in both houses and with public opinion polls that slant heavily toward a repeal.

Gen. Conway agrees that only the Congress should have that ability. "I think that the Congress represents the will of the people," he said. "And we are a nation of laws. The military abides by the laws. And I think we would be much more comfortable, if it's going to change, it comes as a result of the change to the law, not an independent judicial determination in a district somewhere in California."

Meanwhile the military finds itself in the awkward position of having to abide by an injunction that calls on the government "immediately to suspend or discontinue any investigation or discharge, separation or other proceeding that may have been commenced under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Conway says this unfortunately creates "an element of uncertainty" among commanders in the field about how they should handle existing cases.

The marines need to get over it however, I really don' believe the 95% figure.

Every other country in NATO allows gays to serve openly. They don't have any problems with quarters. Are soldiers in other countries tougher than our sensitive Marines?

They are not America. A country that has no issue showing discrimination by law.

Prove it.

Soldier is wounded and laying face down on the ground.

A gay soldier runs up and says. " are you OK"?

The wounded soldier in pain says, "I can't move my arms and legs".

The gay soldier says with a smile, "my lucky day"

What will you people say when the study is finished and most of the troops say they dont care?

Forum List

Back