80% of the Letitia James case for "Fraud" was tossed....statute of limitations

Is this an indication that the democrat's "lawfare" against Trump will fail?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
If you don’t pay your taxes those are criminal charges dum dum. But to the point if you dont pay your taxes the State is the victim in that case as they are owed the money. NY state isnt a victim in the suit they brought.
They start out as civil charges, but can turn criminal. One does not exclude the other.

The entities I’m talking about are the banks and insurers, not trump businesses. If he got a loan from a bank in Montana, or Nevada, or German, how does the AG in New York get awarded damages from those banks? I’m not talking about New York fines, I’m talking about damages on behalf of those banks, that will never be paid TO those banks, in other states/countries.

Because the business entity functions under the State where they are incorporated which would be in this case - New York.

This isn't about the lenders, this is about the business.

The fine for breaking that law…in a civil lawsuit..is $250 million dollars???

Not a fine. Fines are for criminal cases, damages are for civil cases involving victims. This is disgorgement which is taking away excessive profits due to fraudulent business operations. (OK, it's fine. LOLz)

As to the amount, that depends on the engorgement the business received over the period of fraudulent activity. $250 Million is what the AG asked for, we don't know how much it will actually be because that is one of the questions the trial will address.

WW

Sure, and if they want to then they should. I’m just questioning how New York can get awarded damages on behalf of other businesses in other states or countries, who never sought litigation against trump.

None of these banks or insurance companies have filed a lawsuit against trump, so I fail to see how New York can collect damages from trump in their behalf, and then keep that money.

Now, any money owed by trump TO New York for back taxes and any fines for breaking that law…that’s fair game.

Because New York law does not require the banks or insurance company to file suit. The AG is empowered to do it based on repeated and persistant violation of New York State Business law.

WW

1696372373339.png

Well, the judge has already said he’s guilty, from what I understand, this trial is just about the money he has to pay.

There are 7 claims filed, the plaintiff and respondent both requested summary judgement. The judge ruled on only one of the seven. The trial is for the other 6 as well getting input on the amount of disgorgement.

WW

Does there have to be a victim any time a law is broken? Isn’t the law justification in and of itself? This is simplistic, but if I’m stopped for speeding, where’s the victim?

First, you don't know what "above the law" means, dumb ass.

And you hit the second problem, there was no law broken. They created a new standard for Trump arguing the value of a property is it's tax assessed value, which is always way below the market value. There is also a team of people on both sides, hardly Trump alone in a back room. His assessed values were below market value. Again, they made up the standard of tax assessment, that is not in the law

First, you don't know what "above the law" means, dumb ass.

And you hit the second problem, there was no law broken. They created a new standard for Trump arguing the value of a property is it's tax assessed value, which is always way below the market value. There is also a team of people on both sides, hardly Trump alone in a back room. His assessed values were below market value. Again, they made up the standard of tax assessment, that is not in the law
A property may be assessed at only a percentage of its value, but that value and the value stated to banks should be in the same ballpark.

In case you have your head so far up your ass that you missed it, many if not all of the witnesses for th prosecution-especially in the Jan 6 related charges. That in itself destroys your pathetic premis that the Democrats have fabricated charges against him.
Hey! If you can't have an adult conversation, shut the fuck up!

Civil charges are still crimes. Try and tell the IRS different.
hahaha no civil law is not criminal law...it is two completely different things. I don't have to the tell the IRS, they are well aware

hahaha no civil law is not criminal law...it is two completely different things. I don't have to the tell the IRS, they are well aware
While they are different, you can be charged both civilly and criminally for the same offense. Either way, it’s a crime.

While they are different, you can be charged both civilly and criminally for the same offense. Either way, it’s a crime.
Trump wasn't charged with a crime, this case is a civil case, not criminal.

Trump wasn't charged with a crime, this case is a civil case, not criminal.
Break the law and you’re a criminal. That’s what we hear about border jumpers. Civil crimes are still crimes and more destructive than crossing an imaginary line, so you can feed your family. Given what they go through, it’s hard to have sympathy for Trump.

Break the law and you’re a criminal. That’s what we hear about border jumpers. Civil crimes are still crimes and more destructive than crossing an imaginary line, so you can feed your family. Given what they go through, it’s hard to have sympathy for Trump.
hahah no, breaking criminal laws, makes you a criminal. No civil crimes aren't still crimes...there is no such things as a "civil crime"

Illegal border jumping, can be a crime....and punishable by jail time...a civil case doesn't involve jail, becaus it's not a crime.

This thread is about a lawsuit Trump is involved in, not a criminal case.

I am amazed often how ill informed many dembot posters are

hahah no, breaking criminal laws, makes you a criminal. No civil crimes aren't still crimes...there is no such things as a "civil crime"

Illegal border jumping, can be a crime....and punishable by jail time...a civil case doesn't involve jail, becaus it's not a crime.

This thread is about a lawsuit Trump is involved in, not a criminal case.

I am amazed often how ill informed many dembot posters are
A civil case can also be a criminal case. You seem to have an argument without a point.

A civil case can also be a criminal case. You seem to have an argument without a point.
An action can both be criminal and civil but they are two different proceedings

NY AG didn’t have evidence of a crime against trump here, hence they didn’t charge him, it’s a civil lawsuit

“Civil crimes”? WTF is that? If you commit a crime get a criminal indictment not a civll suit.

Forum List

Back