79% drop in food stamp consumption...

I don't live in Maine, I don't live in Massachusetts, you want to do what you want to do fine by me, just leave me out of it

Us guys down South are getting tired of both of your bullshit,.liberals and cons

Grow up, you have to help people

I understand you don't travel much,that's a given
Too funny...

I have about 10 states left to complete the entire 50...

You're missing the point......or being obtuse.....either way.....if people drop out of the food stamp program in these numbers in Maine, the numbers may even be higher in other states....or even lower....its called an average.

Us guys down South are getting tired of both of your bullshit,.liberals and cons

Again, you missed the point.....No one is being forced off of the entitlement program. What part of that don't they teach down south?

The problem is the author of your link is obviously biased and is only telling part of the story. Anyone who has had to deal with the government (Federal, state and local), knows the one size fits all approach is the stock in trade and in reality absolute bull shit.
How many were dropped that should not have been because they didn't know how to fight it or didn't think they could fight it?
Thousands dropped from Maine welfare rolls after rules enforcement upped Breaking News Times Free Press

Big changes next month for Maine welfare recipients - The Portland Press Herald Maine Sunday Telegram

Granted there are those who take advantage of these type of programs but unfortunately the way the government approaches solutions generally means rampant abuse or rampant disservice.
If they are able to work but chose not to, why should they receive this benefit? If they only have to perform a public service like volunteerign to work in a public assistance program, or taking a few classes that will help them get jobs....how is it they are getting screwed? I can see why some of them would want to fight it if they could, but reality is, they are getting a freebie and they know it.

I guess I just don't understand your objection to this. Then numbers are staggering, and provide significant proof of fraud....though I doubt it will ever be prosecuted.
It's called reality, not a black and white political mindset which is why you don't understand. Did you click on the links? Knowing how government works I guarantee that at minimum 20% of those dropped were actually in qualification and couldn't fight it or didn't know how to fight it so the actual numbers should have been in the 50 to 60% range.
Hell you know as well as I that politicians can fuck up a wet dream if they had control over it.
Here is where you nonsense gets out of hand.

There is no involuntary 'dropping'.......Understand yet? They are free to remain ON THE FOOD STAMPS...for as long as they can....they simply have to do something for them.
Obviously you didn't read the links, typical political hack, regardless of whether you wear blue or red blinders.

The problem is the author of your link is obviously biased and is only telling part of the story. Anyone who has had to deal with the government (Federal, state and local), knows the one size fits all approach is the stock in trade and in reality absolute bull shit.
How many were dropped that should not have been because they didn't know how to fight it or didn't think they could fight it?
Thousands dropped from Maine welfare rolls after rules enforcement upped Breaking News Times Free Press

Big changes next month for Maine welfare recipients - The Portland Press Herald Maine Sunday Telegram

Granted there are those who take advantage of these type of programs but unfortunately the way the government approaches solutions generally means rampant abuse or rampant disservice.
If they are able to work but chose not to, why should they receive this benefit? If they only have to perform a public service like volunteerign to work in a public assistance program, or taking a few classes that will help them get jobs....how is it they are getting screwed? I can see why some of them would want to fight it if they could, but reality is, they are getting a freebie and they know it.

I guess I just don't understand your objection to this. Then numbers are staggering, and provide significant proof of fraud....though I doubt it will ever be prosecuted.
It's called reality, not a black and white political mindset which is why you don't understand. Did you click on the links? Knowing how government works I guarantee that at minimum 20% of those dropped were actually in qualification and couldn't fight it or didn't know how to fight it so the actual numbers should have been in the 50 to 60% range.
Hell you know as well as I that politicians can fuck up a wet dream if they had control over it.

There is no involuntary 'dropping'.......Understand yet? They are free to remain ON THE FOOD STAMPS...for as long as they can....they simply have to do something for them.
Obviously you didn't read the links, typical political hack, regardless of whether you wear blue or red blinders.
Really? I did read the links...they provide such gems as this one..

Helen Hanson got a letter from the state in January saying she was about to lose her food stamp benefits, she said, even though she should be exempt because she's in a work-skills program.

The 49-year-old, who's studying at Husson University to become a paralegal while working part-time at a grocery store, was eventually able to save her benefits with the help of an advocacy group. But the process she was forced to go through was infuriating and the fear that she might lose that support system was nerve-wracking, she said.

"We're not criminals," Hanson said. "I'm trying to benefit myself so I can get off food supplement. I'm tired of being poor."

Funny thing about your biased link...It says nothing about what happened....Did she provide proof that she was in a work skills program? Because the law is pretty simple. If she is, then she does not lose the benefit.....Strange how the article does not follow up on that, eh? Oh, its not strange at all. Its deliberately misleading. The claim she is meeting the requirements but received a letter....but nothing about if she remained...this leads the gullible reader, such as yourself, to think they just dropped her.....

Another thing about that one link...the claim that there are not enough volunteer jobs? That's rather amazing....oh, and the state provides training programs.....yet another of the requirements met.....if the citizen simply reaches out and takes advantage of the situation.....

How about we hire the unemployed to do repair/maintenance on infrastructure?

And/or train people in fields where there are actually jobs available?

Money?

Stop buying worthless military equipment and use the money to pay Americans for their work.

Looks like they just weeded out the ~9,000 people who had jobs that paid under the table and illegally collected food stamp benefits on the side.

Well now, isn't this interesting. Something I have been advocating for over 15 years.....either make them work for the benefit, volunteer for the benefit, or learn a trade for the benefit......and what happens.....suddenly, they would rather go with less food than work....Yet, its a drop of 79%.....

Here is a little math problem for you all. If we can reduce the entitlement expenditure of the Federal budget to just 21% of its current rate, and apply that 79% to paying off the debt....how long will that take?

Oh, and here is the article.....I haven't verified the facts of the story yet....so there may be more to it than meets the eye....

This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits

At the close of 2014 approximately 12,000 individuals were enrolled in the state assistance program. Keep in mind that these individuals are adults who aren’t disabled and who don’t have children at home and who are claiming the food-stamp benefits because of a lack of financial resources.

After forcing these individuals to either work part-time for twenty hours each week, enroll in a vocational program, or volunteer for a minimum of twenty-four hours per month, the numbers showed a significant drop from 12,000 enrollees to just over 2,500.

More at the link

As a democrat, I don't even work at my own job.

The drop is mostly from restrictions on food stamps and poor shaming by the Republicans. Poverty is still prevalent in America. Greater than it was 20 years ago.

But they make it impossible to get help, then Republicans wonder why poor people are attracted to gangs. Its not rocket science.

Really? I did read the links...they provide such gems as this one..

Helen Hanson got a letter from the state in January saying she was about to lose her food stamp benefits, she said, even though she should be exempt because she's in a work-skills program.

The 49-year-old, who's studying at Husson University to become a paralegal while working part-time at a grocery store, was eventually able to save her benefits with the help of an advocacy group. But the process she was forced to go through was infuriating and the fear that she might lose that support system was nerve-wracking, she said.

"We're not criminals," Hanson said. "I'm trying to benefit myself so I can get off food supplement. I'm tired of being poor."

Funny thing about your biased link...It says nothing about what happened....Did she provide proof that she was in a work skills program? Because the law is pretty simple. If she is, then she does not lose the benefit.....Strange how the article does not follow up on that, eh? Oh, its not strange at all. Its deliberately misleading. The claim she is meeting the requirements but received a letter....but nothing about if she remained...this leads the gullible reader, such as yourself, to think they just dropped her.....
Apparently you hack, black and white "thinkers" can't see past your own noses, typical. They talk about the newly created bureaucratic mess one has to navigate to prove they deserve the benefit. But the one thing you ignored from my original statement has to do with known human behavior when certain obstacles are placed in somes' path, a certain percentage simply gives up regardless of their eligibility.
Oh and my use of the word "dropped" was obviously a poor choice as again you being a black and white "thinker" would only interpret it one way. My bad, it was an inference to what would happen if one did not pursue the new requirements, they would be dropped from the books, (lose the benefit). Hopefully Maine, and the other states that have enacted these laws include exemptions for the disabled and certain other situations or these deserving people are left out.
By the way, remember the article you linked in the OP? Nothing biased about that one...... Ooooh nooooo!!!!!!!!!
:lmao:

Last edited:
Seriously you using the state of Maine as an example? The Bob newhart show? What is this a joke?
I'm not using anything.....Its going on, right now. If that program works, then it can be parsed over to the Federal level...
Dude its maine , its like sweden
I guess that makes sense to you.....
Cut the bullshit.

Maine and Sweden do not have large populations of :afro::blsmile:.

Otherwise Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be raising unholy Hell over it.

I'm not using anything.....Its going on, right now. If that program works, then it can be parsed over to the Federal level...
You are acting and debating like a liberal, were not the same
No we're not. However, this is working.....I don't care if it is Manhattan.....the bluest of blue....if it reduces entitlement expenditures to 21% of rate, I'm all for it.
I am going racist on you, how many blacks, how many mexicans live in maine? Its like sweden
Nothing racist about FACTS.

How about we hire the unemployed to do repair/maintenance on infrastructure?

And/or train people in fields where there are actually jobs available?

Money?

Stop buying worthless military equipment and use the money to pay Americans for their work.
Why you wanna put folks back in chains?

Compulsory work for benefits and compulsory training for benefits would be decried as slavery.

FDR type CCC and WPA programs would cause riots.

Seriously you using the state of Maine as an example? The Bob newhart show? What is this a joke?
Cut the bullshit.

Maine and Sweden do not have large populations of :afro::blsmile:.

Otherwise Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be raising unholy Hell over it.
Thanks I hate when I have to fight stupid conservatives

The libs argue that no one is simply lazy and the cons argue everyone can a job who wants one,

Both are flatly wrong.

Public work for public benefits does work well.

I will have to agree with you Jake, only in that what you say is wrong about libs. They obviously think that Americans are lazy. That is their argument for illegal immigration, Americans are too lazy to do the work that the those crossing illegally will do. What the left really means is they won't do the same work for the money paid to illegals. It is actually a modern form of slavery.

And public works did do well for Germany many years ago.

I wonder how the Unions will feel when their last bastion of strength is attacked by all these low paid workers? Not that I think it shouldn't be done, I just think that the Unions might bitch a bitch. Especially in states that are not right to work.

I don't know if everyone can have a job if they want one or not. Certainly it would appear that having a job that pays a living wage is quite hard if someone isn't educated or skilled. Especially with the pressure of an open border.

Forum List

Back