71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen

Do you predict a terror attack within the decade?

• Very likely

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Likely

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Not likely

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I hope so because America deserves it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've heard of quite a few people who grew up in the days of nuclear drills, and they had actual nightmares about such scenerios. I hope we've done a better job with our youth at teaching them to be prepared, without all the attached anxiety.

I grew up with the nuclear drills. They would round us up depending on where we lived and have us go down into the basement while we waited for the all clear. As a kid, it was no more upsetting than a fire drill...nobody I knew was traumatized

Well good for you...and your word is the final assessment.:lol:

I'll open it up to any other posters who went through the nuclear drills while in school

Were you upset or was it no big deal???

Every teacher in America is cognizant that a Columbine style attack could happen anywhere. Our school has mandatory lock down drills once a month. It does not paralyze people, but to say it's not a concern would be foolhardy.

The same goes for Islamic terrorism. To deny its possibility - even probability - is ignorance.

The sense I get from people like rw is "shit happens". Decent people may not be worried about being blown up every day, but they may be concerned that someone else will. That's an adult point of view.

It's not "collective paranoia". It's reality and empathy.

I've heard of quite a few people who grew up in the days of nuclear drills, and they had actual nightmares about such scenerios. I hope we've done a better job with our youth at teaching them to be prepared, without all the attached anxiety.

I grew up with the nuclear drills. They would round us up depending on where we lived and have us go down into the basement while we waited for the all clear. As a kid, it was no more upsetting than a fire drill...nobody I knew was traumatized

I remember the drills in school, duck and cover,even during the Cuban missile crisis when we came awfully close to war, and then we would have drills for tornados too. For me and most kids the nuclear drills were something that we did not really have a sense of what it would be like. But tornados we saw destruction like that all the time and we were aware of the potential for harm from them. People become numb to things after awhile and even though it is in the back of your mind, life goes on. Terrorism or even the Columbine attack, the odds of being involved with one is the same as hitting the lottery. People realize that so it is not a pressing issue and they can go on with life. Oh they are concerned about the victims and stuff but you cannot let it interfere with life.

I'll open it up to any other posters who went through the nuclear drills while in school

I wasn't even alive.:lol:My knowledge is acquired from documentaries and books discussing the time. If you want to deny that there wasn't a period of intense fear that the Russians would nuke us, go ahead. Propaganda and fear-mongering wasn't invented post 9-11.

I don't remember them as Nuke Drills, the last one I think I would have been when I was in third grade back in 1966. They were kind of perfunctory. We all marched into the basement twice a year, stayed 5 minutes and then went back to class. there was no explanation given, so I am guessing about it.

I do remember that there were signs marking fallout shelters in the schools all the time I was there. They were just there and forgotten and rusty by the time I finished school in 1977. They were metal and bolted onto the side of the building, so no one bothered to remove them.

Many years later one of my best friends and I spent several evenings exchanging similar experiences of growing up with the Bomb. We both realized that this was the first time either of us had ever shared this part of our childhood with anyone. I had never read any personal accounts of growing up in the shadow of nuclear obliteration, and I decided to record my own memories of that time.

After a great deal of reminiscing, I wrote a first draft and distributed copies to a few friends. Their feedback surprised me. For those of all ages, my writing brought forth memories that had lain undisturbed for many years. For those my own age, I had coalesced many of their unspoken childhood worries and fears into words. While I am aware that many young people worked out their nuclear consciousness through strong family support, belief in divine protection, or uniquely individual solutions, many of us have never laid our early atomic years to rest or come to terms with the nuclear menace which still remains. It is with these particular children of the atom bomb in mind that I have written these reminiscences.

A lengthy, but fascinating account.

The Bomb for My Pillow

I wasn't even alive.:lol:My knowledge is acquired from documentaries and books discussing the time. If you want to deny that there wasn't a period of intense fear that the Russians would nuke us, go ahead. Propaganda and fear-mongering wasn't invented post 9-11.

You have to understand that the US had just emerged from WWII. Air Raid drills for the public were an accepted part of life. Our parents had been through them and nobody was terribly upset.
Air Raid shelters were all over the place. When the whistle blew, you just went to your designated shelter.

History books and documentaries overstate how scared the people were of a nuclear war. Yes, we were aware of what a nuclear bomb was....but as kids, we did not take it to be that big a deal

I doubt if they have the ability to duplicate an attack of the magnitude of 9-11. Planes are no longer available and security is much tighter than ten years ago. The command structure of AlQaida has been severely compromised and their access to funding has been cut.
More importantly, they do not have the support of the Islamic world they once did. I believe there was a romantic view towards jihadists as freedom fighters and martyrs. They are now seen as the terrorists they are.
Recent attempts at attacks have been amateurish blunders showing how far they have fallen in terms of preparation and execution.

Will there be attacks in the future? Probably yes, but they will be relatively minor

iIt's not going to happen that way. They are going to come through the porous borders with nukes in backpacks. It will be much worse than 9-11.

You have to understand that the US had just emerged from WWII. Air Raid drills for the public were an accepted part of life. Our parents had been through them and nobody was terribly upset.
Air Raid shelters were all over the place. When the whistle blew, you just went to your designated shelter.

History books and documentaries overstate how scared the people were of a nuclear war. Yes, we were aware of what a nuclear bomb was....but as kids, we did not take it to be that big a deal

Well let's not exaggerate my initial comment to imply that I was referencing ALL children. I made a simple remark about some people sharing their experiences as a stressful time. As a teacher of first graders during 9-11, I know that my students had some questions in the days to follow. I'm sure some were also bombarded at home by parents who may have kept cable news on 24/7. We'll see how they reflect on all of it someday.

I can't tell if you're in agreement with those advocating that we live in a mindset of fear, or have learned to "accept" it, as you see your generation having done so. Do we have more or less tolerance for the radical Muslims than we did the "Commie bastards"?? I'm not sure, because the hate for Russians was still going strong in my childhood of the 70's and 80's.

I don't remember them as Nuke Drills, the last one I think I would have been when I was in third grade back in 1966. They were kind of perfunctory. We all marched into the basement twice a year, stayed 5 minutes and then went back to class. there was no explanation given, so I am guessing about it.

I do remember that there were signs marking fallout shelters in the schools all the time I was there. They were just there and forgotten and rusty by the time I finished school in 1977. They were metal and bolted onto the side of the building, so no one bothered to remove them.

Your experience reflects mine...But I have relatives that did the crawl under the DESK Scenario 'Duck and Cover' for what good it would've done?

I doubt if they have the ability to duplicate an attack of the magnitude of 9-11. Planes are no longer available and security is much tighter than ten years ago. The command structure of AlQaida has been severely compromised and their access to funding has been cut.
More importantly, they do not have the support of the Islamic world they once did. I believe there was a romantic view towards jihadists as freedom fighters and martyrs. They are now seen as the terrorists they are.
Recent attempts at attacks have been amateurish blunders showing how far they have fallen in terms of preparation and execution.

Will there be attacks in the future? Probably yes, but they will be relatively minor

Sorry, I wouldn't expect them to duplicate the attacks in the same way. And yes, they most certainly do have the capability to deliver another devistating blow to this country. Personally, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. All you need is 30 stratigically placed suicide bombers in 30 large shopping malls across this nation all syncronized to blow at the same time. This wouldn't take much time to plan and could easily be executed with the lowest skilled "jihadists".

Well let's not exaggerate my initial comment to imply that I was referencing ALL children. I made a simple remark about some people sharing their experiences as a stressful time. As a teacher of first graders during 9-11, I know that my students had some questions in the days to follow. I'm sure some were also bombarded at home by parents who may have kept cable news on 24/7. We'll see how they reflect on all of it someday.

I can't tell if you're in agreement with those advocating that we live in a mindset of fear, or have learned to "accept" it, as you see your generation having done so. Do we have more or less tolerance for the radical Muslims than we did the "Commie bastards"?? I'm not sure, because the hate for Russians was still going strong in my childhood of the 70's and 80's.

As was the hatred for the 'Commie BASTARDS' for me at the time as well...

This should be turned toward the Islamic America Haters with the same verve and passion.

Sorry, I wouldn't expect them to duplicate the attacks in the same way. And yes, they most certainly do have the capability to deliver another devistating blow to this country. Personally, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. All you need is 30 stratigically placed suicide bombers in 30 large shopping malls across this nation all syncronized to blow at the same time. This wouldn't take much time to plan and could easily be executed with the lowest skilled "jihadists".

Yep, not complicated at all.

I think we need to be wary of all potential terrorism. The history of the US shows that we have been more vulnerable to domestic terrorists than international terrorists. While I am fully aware of the conservative fear mongering of US born Muslims killing us in our sleep, it is the Tim McVeighs, Ted Kaczinskis, Eric Rudolphs and countless lunatic fringe who are more likely to kill us

:cuckoo: RW is an ignorant partisan un-American dumb fuck :cuckoo:

iIt's not going to happen that way. They are going to come through the porous borders with nukes in backpacks. It will be much worse than 9-11.

If thats the case...I would advise you to head to your basement and start stockpiling supplies. You can't be too safe Willow

I will send you a PM when all is clear

I think the Muslims have replaced the Commies as our collective boogie man, If you read the rhetoric from the 50s and compare it to the rhetoric post 9-11 you will see that only thye names have changed.
The paranoia is very similar also with a commie around every corner and any neighbor being a potential commie.

Today is the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 71% of Americans think it’s at least somewhat likely another event this devastating will happen within the next decade. This includes 39% who say it's Very Likely.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only 22% of Adults believe it’s not very or not at all likely another 9/11 will take place in America in the next 10 years.

The number of adults who feel another terrorist attack is possible is up five points from last year when 66% of Americans felt that way.

71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen In Next 10 Years - Rasmussen Reports

I'd be interested to see who would agree/disagree with this report. I believe an attempt is "very likely". A successful attack? I pray not.

The question isn't worded appropriately. Another terrorist attack? Very likely! Another 9/11? No way, the passengers won't let it happen.

Today is the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 71% of Americans think it’s at least somewhat likely another event this devastating will happen within the next decade. This includes 39% who say it's Very Likely.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only 22% of Adults believe it’s not very or not at all likely another 9/11 will take place in America in the next 10 years.

The number of adults who feel another terrorist attack is possible is up five points from last year when 66% of Americans felt that way.

71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen In Next 10 Years - Rasmussen Reports

I'd be interested to see who would agree/disagree with this report. I believe an attempt is "very likely". A successful attack? I pray not.

The question isn't worded appropriately. Another terrorist attack? Very likely! Another 9/11? No way, the passengers won't let it happen.

True, very very true.

Potential terrorist attacks in the US can come from many directions; drug Lords from Mexico, homegrown "patriots", Islamic fundamentalists and your average everyday nut case. What concerns me is not the nuclear threat or another airplane hijacking but attacks against our infrastructure. They might not cause massive casualties but repeated attacks against our power grid would cause a high degree of damage to our economy. It would not take too many individuals destroying transmission towers all over a region to put that region in an economic standstill. Without electricity factories would be shut down in addition to the damage to perishables. And the electrical grid is not the only vulnerable target but you have highway and rail lines and water pumping facilities. We see the result of insurgent attacks in Iraq what would be the result here in the US. We are reliant to a higher degree on electricity than anyone in the world. Without electricity we have no water, no heat, no air conditioning or computers. An attack like this would affect a larger portion of the population than a hijacking or a car bomb. And this I fear is what we can expect in the future.

As I recall, neither myself nor my friends were ever terrible concerned about a nuclear attack. I think we all just excepted it as something that was going to happen someday. However, the Cuban missile crisis was one scary time. People were glued to their TV when the President spoke. There was a lot of talk about a preemptive strike. Since I lived in Florida at the time, I am certainly glad that idea was discarded.

Forum List

Back