70% of US combat vets on anti-psychiatric drugs:

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Gordon Duff @ 70% of US combat vets on anti-psychiatric drugs: Gordon Duff | Veterans Today

An American Marine says as many as 40 percent of those who serve in the US military are under psychiatric care, adding that up to 70 percent of war veterans have been on anti-psychiatric drugs.

I love and honor all those who serve and have served out nation in uniform. But, this bothers me a great deal. I remember many 'Nam vets complaining how their service caused them to turn to drugs to escape “the horrors of war.” Yet, many I knew were prone to drugs before, during, and after their service!!! :salute:

Has our Dependency Society brought about this reliance on drugs to deal with our problems? Instead of dealing with problems like adults, IMHO, more and more are turning to crutches. :eusa_whistle:

What's YOUR take on this?

I retired in NOV 2012. The mentality of the healthcare professionals in the military is give them drugs. I had Soldiers that were walking zombies most days. I would have them bring me their prescriptions and it would be a small to medium bag full. They had a drug to help them sleep, one to wake them up, one for when they were feeling down. The overuse of prescription drugs is a big problem. The drugs don't address the problem they just mask it. There is another thread about the VA paying out for wrongful death lawsuits a lot of those are caused by a mix of prescription drugs.

I don't think it's the troops fault. I blame the doctors prescribing the drugs.

One of the greatest dangers Americans are facing both civilian and military in the 21st century is the deadly SSRI drugs they are administering for depression, anxiety, etc. Zanax, Alprozam, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, all of these drugs should never have been allowed on the market. These synthetic drugs are mind altering and very, very dangerous. They are cumalitive - never leave the body - and the damages they cause are only now being discovered. SSRI's damage the liver and create cancer. That is something your doctor won't tell you yet research how many people online with cancer are on SSRI's. Our military soldiers are being medicated on this garbage, our children, our nation is in great peril with these drugs available by prescription and on the streets. Imagine what would happen in a blackout with an extended time where there was no access to a pharmacy! What mayhem that would be!

Years ago if someone got depressed they went to their pastor and got some counseling and worked through it. Today one case of depression and the quack psychologists and psychiatrists ( who have never cured a person in their lives! ) will write a perscription for a psychotronic drug like Zoloft and not give it a second thought! It's all about the money which is why none of these pharmaceutical cartels creating these addictive / mind altering drugs have been prosecuted. The doctors make money, the hospitals make money, the lobbyists pay off the congressmen and senators and they make money... its the love of money and you see where it has led.

One of the greatest dangers Americans are facing both civilian and military in the 21st century is the deadly SSRI drugs they are administering for depression, anxiety, etc. Zanax, Alprozam, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, all of these drugs should never have been allowed on the market. These synthetic drugs are mind altering and very, very dangerous. They are cumalitive - never leave the body - and the damages they cause are only now being discovered. SSRI's damage the liver and create cancer. That is something your doctor won't tell you yet research how many people online with cancer are on SSRI's. Our military soldiers are being medicated on this garbage, our children, our nation is in great peril with these drugs available by prescription and on the streets. Imagine what would happen in a blackout with an extended time where there was no access to a pharmacy! What mayhem that would be!

Years ago if someone got depressed they went to their pastor and got some counseling and worked through it. Today one case of depression and the quack psychologists and psychiatrists ( who have never cured a person in their lives! ) will write a perscription for a psychotronic drug like Zoloft and not give it a second thought! It's all about the money which is why none of these pharmaceutical cartels creating these addictive / mind altering drugs have been prosecuted. The doctors make money, the hospitals make money, the lobbyists pay off the congressmen and senators and they make money... its the love of money and you see where it has led.

That is exactly what is happening in the military. I think they use us for test dummies. I know of several Soldiers who took their prescribed meds and never woke up. It is a sad day when you have to worry about the doctors killing you with medication.

I think our service personnel see some horrific stuff sometimes and I can understand how PTSD comes on and that sometimes the trauma can be either long term or even irreversible. But there are doctors who are script happy and a patient has to reach a point where he or she needs to know when to say enough is enough.

I haven't experienced the horrors of war, but I've had my own demons to deal with and the drugs helped. Thankfully, I have reached that point and just don't want to take them anymore. I've been very fortunate not to have script happy doctors and monitored my drugs/dosages/progress carefully. I emailed my doc that I was going to cut back and he gave me no arguments - only advised me to taper off carefully. I'll see him in a couple months and we'll decide where to go from there.

Gordon Duff @

My take?

Hankey_flush.gif

Remember, my first mantra when looking into anything is to "Vette your sources". And what is the source of this one?

Well, first we have the site, "Veterans Today".

Veterans Today (VT) is an online journal representing the position of members of the military and veteran community in areas of national security, geopolitical stability and domestic policy.
VT is the only independent, unaligned voice of its kind in America, accepting no financial support from any organization or individual, existing solely for news, opinion, and educational purposes.
Spanning the political spectrum, we support the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.
VT is part of the Veterans Today Network, a network of over 60 sites independently operated and owned serving the U.S. Military-Veterans Community.
VT writers and editors are veterans or proven veterans’ advocates.
About Us | Veterans Today

OK, sounds innocent enough, although I never told them to speak for me.

And their board of directors, hmmmmm..

Well, the Chairman is Gordon Duff.
Then we have General Gul, former head of Pakistan Intelligence.
Then Col. Khrushchev, formerly of the Soviet Army, and RT.
Jim Dean, never served, PR wizard.

And continuing down the list, I see more of the same. A few military here and there, mostly civilians.

Now let's look at Gordon Duff.

Well, a former Marine, with no involvement with the VA, and no medical training.

And where did he report this? Why, Russia Today!

Now let's look at what some of his amazing articles are, shall we?

Australia systematically abusing refugees
Flight 370: The CIA Hoax
Flight 370: Another US Conspiracy?
Leaked documents show US Embassy in Ukraine is Staging False Flag
US Planning Terror Attacks in Ukraine
Missing 777 or Flying Bomb?
US-German plot against Russia will backfire
Israel’s geography doubletalk
Why America Must Have an Anti-War Uprising
Mossad, Bush planned, executed 9/11

Wait a minute, WTF am I reading here? And no, I am not joking, feel free to read for yourself, these are his most recent "articles".

Gordon Duff | Veterans Today

This is not even objective (or non-objective) journalism. Most of this is pure conspiracy theory crap. Actually, it is below crap, but if I say anything else about what I think of this it would be censored out.

And finally, what else does VT (Hmmmm, VT - RT, coincidence?) have itself involved in?

Hire Veterans - Jobs for Veterans - Job Board Hiring U.S. Military Veterans Employment Careers: Home - They want you to hire veterans, that's nice

VA Home Loan News | Mortgage Loan News and Information for U.S. Military Veterans - They want you to buy a home also, that's nice

Legal Help for Veterans - Benefits, Claims, VA, Medical, Disability - That's nice, they will hook you up with a lawyer to fight the VA.

rense.com - WTF, some quack medical site?

USS Liberty Veterans Association - A one man organization demanding Israel be tried for the USS Liberty incident

MMMM, looking at all of this, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give the credibility of this site...

A 0.01. And this article? Absolute crap.

If the US Military in it's grand scheme to rehabilitate veterans thinks that prescription medication is a substitute for jobs we are in deep shit as a Nation.

Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death 1/10

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qs9TLTvYFs]Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death 1/10 - YouTube[/ame]

Gordon Duff @ 70% of US combat vets on anti-psychiatric drugs: Gordon Duff | Veterans Today

An American Marine says as many as 40 percent of those who serve in the US military are under psychiatric care, adding that up to 70 percent of war veterans have been on anti-psychiatric drugs.

I love and honor all those who serve and have served out nation in uniform. But, this bothers me a great deal. I remember many 'Nam vets complaining how their service caused them to turn to drugs to escape “the horrors of war.” Yet, many I knew were prone to drugs before, during, and after their service!!! :salute:

Has our Dependency Society brought about this reliance on drugs to deal with our problems? Instead of dealing with problems like adults, IMHO, more and more are turning to crutches. :eusa_whistle:

Your statement is nothing but hearsay. PTSD did not keep the vast majority of Vietnam Combat Veterans from getting on with their lives. They worked and had good careers.
You should do research on a subject instead making an ass of yourself.

People make a choice to do drugs or to drink. You can't deal with the horrors of war unless you are clean and/or sober. I am a Vietnam Combat Veteran. Don't try to explain something you never experienced and don't understand. We are sick of idiots like you.

Last edited:
Many of the WWII vets and Korean vets I grew up around were heavy consumers of alcohol. One thing is different now compared to today, the older vets would never discuss the horrors they faced. That's why they called Nam vets crybabies...but back years ago a man was never suppose to cry, that was for women and children..

Audie Murphy had nightmares from war so bad that he slept with a gun under his pillow.

Last edited:

People make a choice to do drugs or to drink. You can't deal with the horrors of war unless you are clean and/or sober. I am a Vietnam Combat Veteran. Don't try to explain something you never experienced and don't understand. We are sick of idiots like you.

Thank you for your service.......

The adjustments I had to make after 12 years of football playing and 6 years military service, was that it was not okay to hurt people for living or past time..

Where is the source of the incredible statistics? The article indicates that Duff's figures originate from "an American Marine"? WTF does that mean?

Many of the WWII vets and Korean vets I grew up around were heavy consumers of alcohol. One thing is different now compared to today, the older vets would never discuss the horrors they faced.

Actually, this is something very different.

Until the 1920's, there was very little of what people would consider "clean water". Most water even in municipal systems would be disgusting in even third world nations today. And because of this, alcohol in various forms was considered the safest thing to drink (this is also why teas and coffee were considered "healthy", the boiling killed off germs).

If you look back in history, it is only in the last century that a person could reliably turn on the tap and get safe water to drink. This was an era where almost everybody routinely drank in excess to modern eyes, even those who never went to war at all.

You are making a false connection here, I am sorry to say.

Many of the WWII vets and Korean vets I grew up around were heavy consumers of alcohol. One thing is different now compared to today, the older vets would never discuss the horrors they faced. That's why they called Nam vets crybabies...but back years ago a man was never suppose to cry, that was for women and children..

Audie Murphy had nightmares from war so bad that he slept with a gun under his pillow.

Anecdotal generalizations about drug use among Veterans is based on bigoted ignorance. Many (perhaps most) of the liberal academic elite during the WW2 and Korean era were heavy consumers of alcohol. Maybe they shifted to marijuana and LSD in the 60's but to this day the academic elite is probably the most drug dependent culture around.

Your statement is nothing but hearsay. PTSD did not keep the vast majority of Vietnam Combat Veterans from getting on with their lives. They worked and had good careers.
Yep, the media has promoted a false stereotype of Vietnam Veterans in the movies. Most went on to successful lives and careers.

I think your observations ("Yet, many I knew were prone to drugs before, during, and after their service!" and "Instead of dealing with problems like adults, IMHO, more and more are turning to crutches.") have merit.
I would add that your source is actually a thinly veiled Nazi website masquerading as a legit site. For instance, the drugs are not anti-psychiatrics but rather anti-psychotics.
That should set your radar twitching.
For another the author was speaking to Iran's state-run PressTV ... hardly a place where one finds facts because they aren't required.
And finally, the author and senior editor has admitted that much of what he says is intentionally untrue or misleading.

From an oldie but still goodie:

"... about 30% of what's on Veterans Today is patently false." - Gordon Duff
"...about 40% of what I write is at least purposely partially false..." - Gordon Duff
veterans today debunked - Google Search

Kudos to Veterans Today senior editor Gordon Duff for stepping out of the closet and admitting that 30% of what VT publishes (and 40% of what he himself writes) is "at least partially" and even "patently false!" Given it is in his best interest to understate the % it may well be that 50% (and 80%) are closer to the truth. It seems that the years of authoring and publishing LIES have caught up to him and he can no longer look at his own face. The real question is; can those who have built their conclusions on the LIES of VT and their interconnected web of international web sites face themselves and each other? Can the CT Movement face the fact that their CT World has been built on these LIES?
My guess? Not likely.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/286987-veterans-today-exposed.html#post7043690

...while working to reach those who did not.

PTSD did not start with Vietnam. After WWI, it was called shell shock and those people were ostracized.

Far too many men and women vets are suffering. We should not ignore that.

Forum List

Back