Zone1 70% of Americans Oppose Race as Factor in Admissions

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
The SCOTUS will soon announce its decision, and it is expected that using the color of someone’s skin as a factor as to whether he or she is rejected or accepted into the university will be ruled unconstitutional. Fully 70% of Americans agree that racist policies have no place in the college admissions office.

It will be a cause for celebration when one’s race can no longer be used against them.

Fully 70% of Americans agree that racist policies have no place in the college admissions office.

1687433727148.jpeg

You posted that false meme before. legacies can be black, as are athletes. The difference is that they are not decided by race. Deciding by race is…..racist. Why can’t you libs understand that?
Legacies are rarely black, and for athletes, except for Basketball and Football, most of them are white as well.

We can get rid of Affirmative Action when we get rid of white privilege.

You left out the part where 53% said that AA should be continued and that 53% think racism is still a major problem. I'm sure that was just an oversite on your part.
Was AA presented as race based preferential treatment of black people?

CBS can frame questions to get the answers they want

I believe AA is indeed a racist concept. I think instead of using it to compensate for the obvious institutional racism in US society in general over they years, a double blind admission process should be used that does not assess names and family history (thus continue the racist tradition) but looks at grades, activities etc with no personally identifiable information. Admission by GPA only would be what I think is fair all around. OOOpps then there is athletics.

Legacies are rarely black, and for athletes, except for Basketball and Football, most of them are white as well.
But that’s not discriminating by race. and basketball and football are the two biggest sports in college, and as you note, most players are black. But again, that’s how it works out when you don’t factor in race.
We can get rid of Affirmative Action when we get rid of white privilege.
There’s no white privilege in university and grad school admissions. There’s big privilege in being black, and to a lesser extent, Latino.

I believe AA is indeed a racist concept. I think instead of using it to compensate for the obvious institutional racism in US society in general over they years, a double blind admission process should be used that does not assess names and family history (thus continue the racist tradition) but looks at grades, activities etc with no personally identifiable information. Admission by GPA only would be what I think is fair all around. OOOpps then there is athletics.
GPA and SAT, combined. And I agree - we should assign numbers to applicants, with no reference to race or gender.

But that’s not discriminating by race. and basketball and football are the two biggest sports in college, and as you note, most players are black. But again, that’s how it works out when you don’t factor in race.

There’s no white privilege in university and grad school admissions. There’s big privilege in being black, and to a lesser extent, Latino.
I was a college professor at a state university when my daughter graduated high school. Her grades were ok but she would have never got into the university on a level field. The dean of my program told me to have her apply and it was a done deal, she was accepted. As it turned out she went to an incredibly expensive private school but there is a lot of privilege and favoritism in college admissions. If there are more white people in positions like I was, there is white privilege. I don't think there was a single black professor in my program.

You posted that false meme before. legacies can be black, as are athletes. The difference is that they are not decided by race. Deciding by race is…..racist. Why can’t you libs understand that?
All the same
Means to admit the less qualified

They are all factors unrelated to academic performance
So? That’s not the issue. The issue is: is it constitutional to have different admissions standards according to race? This is what the SCOTUS will determine.

So? That’s not the issue. The issue is: is it constitutional to have different admissions standards according to race? This is what the SCOTUS will determine.
It is EXACTLY the issue

Was AA presented as race based preferential treatment of black people?

CBS can frame questions to get the answers they want
Yes, they did. The thing is, most people admit the problem is there, they just don't like the obvious solution- quotas.

Which would be fine if they weren't giving out a bunch of scholarships and admissions based on athletics to white folks. I have a nephew who was an NCAA wrestling champion, and a niece who got in based on her Volleyball playing. It's a huge advantage for white privilege because Title IX requires it.

Actually, there's plenty of white privilege in legacies, Dean's interest, children of staff, and athletic admissions. Not to mention the 'Side Door" exposed by the Varsity Blues Investigation.

Yes, they did. The thing is, most people admit the problem is there, they just don't like the obvious solution- quotas.

Which would be fine if they weren't giving out a bunch of scholarships and admissions based on athletics to white folks. I have a nephew who was an NCAA wrestling champion, and a niece who got in based on her Volleyball playing. It's a huge advantage for white privilege because Title IX requires it.

Actually, there's plenty of white privilege in legacies, Dean's interest, children of staff, and athletic admissions. Not to mention the 'Side Door" exposed by the Varsity Blues Investigation.
Damn right I dont want quotas for unqualified black people
It degrades the entire society

“70% of Americans Oppose Race as Factor in Admissions”​

“Admissions” to what exactly? Ghetto schools? Dangerous neighborhoods? Drug gangs? Prison? To early death and “admission” into funeral homes for black men who have worked hard & kept out of trouble … yet never get to retire and enjoy their meager Social Security?

A good percentage of African Americans are finally doing much better, integrated into society, getting skills, working at jobs alongside “middle-class” whites — though our factory and union jobs have declined precipitously. But culturally there is a backlash against them among certain elements, especially poor white workers.

It would be ridiculous to deny that many African Americans still suffer from the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, and oppression (often internalized) resulting from belonging to a long despised and mistreated “race-color caste.”

Today many young male blacks are still stuck in our “lumpen-proletarian” underclass, though they are not alone. More and more uneducated, drug addled, homeless and even angry criminal-minded poor whites are joining this class as well.

Black progress has been made against the backdrop of a much more unequal society overall, one changing so that skills training and education and “class” is more important for economic success than when factory jobs were abundant and paid decent wages.

“Admissions” to college is hardly the real issue today, however. Many who go to college are getting mostly only greater indebtedness for their pains.

But anyone who thinks that race (and racism too) are no longer “factors” in society that have to be addressed … has their eyes closed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back