6-year-old with autism suspended from school because of GPS device

The listening device is illegal. It is illegal to record audio of someone (within range of the child) without their expressed consent. The school cannot break the law. The school has no choice. The parent CAN attach a GPS device to her child as long as it has no audio capability, but the parent would not choose a legal device. Why did the parent refuse to use a legal GPS device? Why would the parent run to media complaining that the school would not allow her to use an illegal listening device? It is certainly less hassle to follow the law.

They are allowing it with the understanding she does not turn it on while he is at school.

Because she would be breaking the law if she did. GPS devices are dirt cheap. She could have just attached one to her child and avoided all the drama and fake outrage over not allowing illegal eavesdropping on innocent people. The school informed her of this and she ran to the media with half the story so she could play martyr.

Spy Mini GPS Tracking Finder Device Auto Car Pets Kids Motorcycle Tracker Track | eBay

The school provided one set of answers to the media and one to the mom.

It is a GPS device. He's 6. It's fake outrage to you.

Let that child wander from the school one time and slap 'em with a lawsuit so big lots of people can rethink this.

A GPS device is a GREAT idea, one I fully support. A listening device is not necessary. In fact, if activated, it is ILLEGAL. Why do you refuse to acknowledge that the whole issue is the illegal listening compatibility, not the tracking of her child? Instead of attaching a GPS device to her child to ensure his safety, she misrepresented the situation to cause division and manufactured anger. She was more interested in drama and 15 minutes of fame than legally protecting her child.

The listening device is illegal. It is illegal to record audio of someone (within range of the child) without their expressed consent. The school cannot break the law. The school has no choice. The parent CAN attach a GPS device to her child as long as it has no audio capability, but the parent would not choose a legal device. Why did the parent refuse to use a legal GPS device? Why would the parent run to media complaining that the school would not allow her to use an illegal listening device? It is certainly less hassle to follow the law.

They are allowing it with the understanding she does not turn it on while he is at school.

Because she would be breaking the law if she did. GPS devices are dirt cheap. She could have just attached one to her child and avoided all the drama and fake outrage over not allowing illegal eavesdropping on innocent people. The school informed her of this and she ran to the media with half the story so she could play martyr.

Spy Mini GPS Tracking Finder Device Auto Car Pets Kids Motorcycle Tracker Track | eBay

Let that child wander from the school one time and slap 'em with a lawsuit so big lots of people can rethink this.

A GPS device is a GREAT idea, one I fully support. A listening device is not necessary. In fact, if activated, it is ILLEGAL. Why do you refuse to acknowledge that the whole issue is the illegal listening compatibility, not the tracking of her child? Instead of attaching a GPS device to her child to ensure his safety, she misrepresented the situation to cause division and manufactured anger. She was more interested in drama and 15 minutes of fame than legally protecting her child.

I don't think you are listening.
Mother angry with school after child is found wandering city streets
Queens mother outraged after autistic son, 4, wanders away from broken down school bus
Autistic Child Wanders Off From School
Child with autism wanders away from school undetected
http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/parents-sue-school-after-autistic-son-disappears-for-12-hours/
Child with autism found after wandering out of Southfield school
http://nypost.com/2016/12/10/hero-cop-finds-autistic-boy-on-rooftop-after-he-ran-out-of-school/
Autistic child wanders from school unnoticed then found and handcuffed. Apology isn't enough w/video - Autism Daily Newscast
8-year-old with autism wanders from Lynnwood school
Autistic boy wanders away from Mesa school; school doesn't notice

She wasn't doing it to listen to "conversations". She wasn't doing it for 15 minutes of fame. It's an issue.

Queens mother outraged after autistic son, 4, wanders away from broken down school bus
http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/parents-sue-school-after-autistic-son-disappears-for-12-hours/
http://nypost.com/2016/12/10/hero-cop-finds-autistic-boy-on-rooftop-after-he-ran-out-of-school/
Autistic child wanders from school unnoticed then found and handcuffed. Apology isn't enough w/video - Autism Daily Newscast

Oh, i'm listening. He needs a GPS device. No one has issue with that. Are you listening? Everyone agrees its a GREAT idea. As a bonus, you can get one for a dollar.

No one around her child need have their rights infringed to accomplish this simple goal. No media drama need ensue. No discussions on a message board necessary. What on earth would cause a mother to go out of her way to f up this simple thing by paying extra for a device that would listen in on innocent citizens without consent? That is illegal. That was the school's problem, the illegality of the audio. You know this and still gloss over it to push your false narrative that the school wouldn't allow GPS. Why?

t

Oh, i'm listening. He needs a GPS device. No one has issue with that. Are you listening? Everyone agrees its a GREAT idea. As a bonus, you can get one for a dollar.

No one around her child need have their rights infringed to accomplish this simple goal. No media drama need ensue. No discussions on a message board necessary. What on earth would cause a mother to go out of her way to f up this simple thing by paying extra for a device that would listen in on innocent citizens without consent? That is illegal. That was the school's problem, the illegality of the audio. You know this and still gloss over it to push your false narrative that the school wouldn't allow GPS. Why?

Let me reiterate this for you. The school advised a GPS can be added into an IEP which included a process. Clearly it had not been added in. Mom felt her child was in danger now and based on behavior the child had been exhibiting. This is not a toddler wandering off and he can be taught and will eventually grow out of it. This is a holy crap my kid was in the living room playing with Legos and I went to the restroom. I come out and he is not in the house and not anywhere I can see . He does not respond when I call his name. It is a 24 hours a day and 7 days a week concern that won't end until one of them dies.

That process would have included a wait time, a meeting with multiple other people to finally address the concerns at whatever designated little time that would have occurred and she may have had to continue to advocate for her child in the face of opposition. The response was come get the gps or come get the kid.The kid was suspended. The kid is now wearing the same device with the agreement that mom not use the audio.

They could have avoided all of that drama had they have been willing to change that IEP ASAP. Not next week or next month or when it is up for reevaluation. They could have come to the exact same arrangement as they have now when it started. So why was it necessary for the school to start all the drama?

This is not a false narrative, you are unhappy I empathize with a parent. How unfortunate.

Last edited:
t

Let me reiterate this for you. The school advised a GPS can be added into an IEP which included a process. Clearly it had not been added in. Mom felt her child was in danger now and based on behavior the child had been exhibiting. This is not a toddler wandering off and he can be taught and will eventually grow out of it. This is a holy crap my kid was in the living room playing with Legos and I went to the restroom. I come out and he is not in the house and not anywhere I can see . He does not respond when I call his name. It is a 24 hours a day and 7 days a week concern that won't end until one of them dies.

That process would have included a wait time, a meeting with multiple other people to finally address the concerns at whatever designated little time that would have occurred and she may have had to continue to advocate for her child in the face of opposition. The response was come get the gps or come get the kid.The kid was suspended. The kid is now wearing the same device with the agreement that mom not use the audio.

They could have avoided all of that drama had they have been willing to change that IEP ASAP. Not next week or next month or when it is up for reevaluation. They could have come to the exact same arrangement as they have now when it started. So why was it necessary for the school to start all the drama?

This is not a false narrative, you are unhappy I empathize with a parent. How unfortunate.

The school was not against the GPS. The school was against the audio capability of the specific GPS the mom insisted upon because it was illegal. Mom could have attached a dollar GPS with no audio capability as told by the school. She refused. Why? Why did mom insist on audio, allowing her to illegally eavesdrop on innocent citizens without their consent?

I empathize with parents, too. I would have bought her a reliable complaint GPS even. That has nothing to do with the audio which, if used, is illegal.

t

The school was not against the GPS. The school was against the audio capability of the specific GPS the mom insisted upon because it was illegal. Mom could have attached a dollar GPS with no audio capability as told by the school. She refused. Why? Why did mom insist on audio, allowing her to illegally eavesdrop on innocent citizens without their consent?

I empathize with parents, too. I would have bought her a reliable complaint GPS even. That has nothing to do with the audio which, if used, is illegal.

I didn't say the school was against it. I said the school indicated that a gps has been added into IEPs before but there was a process. Mom brought him to the school with a gps. The school chose not to address Mom's concerns. Why? Why did the school bully mom, Tresha? Why?

t

I didn't say the school was against it. I said the school indicated that a gps has been added into IEPs before but there was a process. Mom brought him to the school with a gps. The school chose not to address Mom's concerns. Why? Why did the school bully mom, Tresha? Why?

There is no need for an IEP for a parent to GPS their child at school. The only GPS's not allowed had remote listening capabilities. The delay was due to the audio Mom insisted upon. That requires consent forms for everyone who would be in audio range of the child. If Mom had chosen a GPS with no audio, as the school told her, there would be no need to add it to the IEP. It had to be added to the IEP because of the audio, so everyone working with the child would be informed of and consent to the audio. No audio, no delay. With audio, delay due notifications and consent.

Parents GPS their kids at school all the time. It's legal. Some schools are even doing it on their own. Listening devices are the issue.

t

There is no need for an IEP for a parent to GPS their child at school. The only GPS's not allowed had remote listening capabilities. The delay was due to the audio Mom insisted upon. That requires consent forms for everyone who would be in audio range of the child. If Mom had chosen a GPS with no audio, as the school told her, there would be no need to add it to the IEP. It had to be added to the IEP because of the audio, so everyone working with the child would be informed of and consent to the audio. No audio, no delay. With audio, delay due notifications and consent.

Parents GPS their kids at school all the time. It's legal. Some schools are even doing it on their own. Listening devices are the issue.

That isn't what the school said.So, why bully mom?

The "process" is to determine if it is a listening device or not. If there is no audio capability, the device is allowed. It is the same here, in every public school I work with. Can you find a single incident where a school did not allow a GPS device without audio capability?

The "process" is to determine if it is a listening device or not. If there is no audio capability, the device is allowed. It is the same here, in every public school I work with. Can you find a single incident where a school did not allow a GPS device without audio capability?

Which they did. They told her to come get the child or the device. The kid was suspended. He is wearing the device. And if he wanders off from the school that audio is going to come in real handy. Won't it? Why did they bully mom?

If that is the case, hwy didn't she get approval for the device and allow the school to monitor his whereabouts. Mom being away from the school doesn't help if she is the only one to find them.

I also remember an article about a school that was using chips in the student's IDs to be able to locate them and all of the parents were pissed off!

Schools cannot win when dealing with helicopter parents and left-wing nut jobs.

What the school told the press and what was sent home in the letter was different.

This is an article on an autistic child that was prone to wondering off. You have to be a helicopter parent with an autistic child.

So, if it was not a GPS device, why would the child need it?

Yes, that is a helicopter parent. But the school takes responsibility of the child. If you can't relinquish that control, home school them!

It is a GPS.

And should the child wonder off sue the bloody hell out of the school district.

Which would be better, taking a chance on the kid getting lost, or violating the privacy of every other student, teacher, or aide that he comes into contact with? You know those people can sue too!
There is no expectation of privacy in a school.

t

A school isn't a private space and no teacher ever has any expectation of privacy when interacting with students. Nor do students have an expectation of privacy. The school is full of shit.

Which they did. They told her to come get the child or the device. The kid was suspended. He is wearing the device. And if he wanders off from the school that audio is going to come in real handy. Won't it? Why did they bully mom?

She chose an ILLEGAL device. If her device didn't have audio,there would be NO DELAY. You are lying about the issue because you want it to sound like parents cannot track their kids. That is a flat out LIE. Parents cannot ILLEGALLY listen in on innocent Americans without their expressed consent. It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and ILLEGAL.

Parents can attach a GPS device to their child. Parents cannot attach a listening device to their child if their child will be around unsuspecting citizens ... BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO LISTEN IN ON INNOCENT CITIZENS WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.

There is nothing else to say about it. You continue to misrepresent the issue, even when called on it because you think it is just fine to break the law in this case. I do not. You won't change your mind and neither will I. You will continue to repeat the lie that autistic children cannot be tracked by their parents at school, and I will continue to point out that they certainly CAN be tracked by their parents with GPS; however, parents cannot illegally/unconstitutionally listen in on innocent Americans without consent.

She chose an ILLEGAL device. If her device didn't have audio,there would be NO DELAY. You are lying about the issue because you want it to sound like parents cannot track their kids. That is a flat out LIE. Parents cannot ILLEGALLY listen in on innocent Americans without their expressed consent. It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and ILLEGAL.

Parents can attach a GPS device to their child. Parents cannot attach a listening device to their child if their child will be around unsuspecting citizens ... BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO LISTEN IN ON INNOCENT CITIZENS WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.

There is nothing else to say about it. You continue to misrepresent the issue, even when called on it because you think it is just fine to break the law in this case. I do not. You won't change your mind and neither will I. You will continue to repeat the lie that autistic children cannot be tracked by their parents at school, and I will continue to point out that they certainly CAN be tracked by their parents with GPS; however, parents cannot illegally/unconstitutionally listen in on innocent Americans without consent.

Why did they bully mom? You will continue to avoid this.

If that is the case, hwy didn't she get approval for the device and allow the school to monitor his whereabouts. Mom being away from the school doesn't help if she is the only one to find them.

I also remember an article about a school that was using chips in the student's IDs to be able to locate them and all of the parents were pissed off!

Schools cannot win when dealing with helicopter parents and left-wing nut jobs.

What the school told the press and what was sent home in the letter was different.

This is an article on an autistic child that was prone to wondering off. You have to be a helicopter parent with an autistic child.

Yes, that is a helicopter parent. But the school takes responsibility of the child. If you can't relinquish that control, home school them!

It is a GPS.

Which would be better, taking a chance on the kid getting lost, or violating the privacy of every other student, teacher, or aide that he comes into contact with? You know those people can sue too!

The federal courts agree there is no expectation of privacy in school (so you may record a lecture, for instance); however, state eavesdropping laws still stand. The federal courts kicked that part back to the states. No school is going to risk that kind of lawsuit. The angel devices are made to be disabled for that very reason.

A 6-year-old boy from Milwaukee living with autism has been suspended from school because of a GPS tracker he wears on a belt under his clothes.

The device that Kahlil Hadley wears sends an alert to his mom’s phone if he wanders outside of a preset zone.

Hadley began wearing the device on Friday, and on Tuesday his mom received an urgent message from the boy’s school: remove the device or remove him. Cassandra Hadley refused, resulting in the suspension.
6-year-old with autism suspended from school because of GPS device - News in Arkansas

What jackoffs.

Why didn't you list the real reason?

Because then I would have put too much of the article in. Here: BECAUSE IT HAS LISTENING CAPABILITIES AS REPORTED IN A LETTER; HOWEVER, THE SCHOOL STATED SHE NEEDED TO GO THROUGH A PROCESS BUT REFUSED TO DO SO.

We good?

I don't care if it does have listening capabilities. How about the boy wanders off, gets lost and something happens to him and the school gets a lawsuit?

You not caring has nothing to do with her following the rules.

It is a GPS.

The federal courts agree there is no expectation of privacy in school (so you may record a lecture, for instance); however, state eavesdropping laws still stand. The federal courts kicked that part back to the states. No school is going to risk that kind of lawsuit. The angel devices are made to be disabled for that very reason.

I don't know where you came up with that. Recording a professor's lecture is theft of intellectual property. It has nothing to do with privacy. You are barking up the wrong tree.

They didn't bully Mom. They refused to allow the eavesdropping device until that capability was disabled. They did so to protect themselves from a lawsuit.

They didn't bully Mom. They refused to allow the eavesdropping device until that capability was disabled. They did so to protect themselves from a lawsuit.

They suspended the child to come to the exact same arrangement they could have made on that day. It was a power play.

It is a GPS.

I don't know where you came up with that. Recording a professor's lecture is theft of intellectual property. It has nothing to do with privacy. You are barking up the wrong tree.

You may be right. The argument the teachers used (Plock vs Board of Education) was that it violated their protections against "illegal search." The Fed's dismissed that due to no expectation of privacy. The court kicked back to the states the rest of the suit, allowing states to enforce their anti-eavesdropping laws in school.

I hadn't thought of intellectual property with my example. My bad.

Forum List

Back