6-year-old with autism suspended from school because of GPS device

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A 6-year-old boy from Milwaukee living with autism has been suspended from school because of a GPS tracker he wears on a belt under his clothes.

The device that Kahlil Hadley wears sends an alert to his mom’s phone if he wanders outside of a preset zone.

Hadley began wearing the device on Friday, and on Tuesday his mom received an urgent message from the boy’s school: remove the device or remove him. Cassandra Hadley refused, resulting in the suspension.
6-year-old with autism suspended from school because of GPS device - News in Arkansas

What jackoffs.

A 6-year-old boy from Milwaukee living with autism has been suspended from school because of a GPS tracker he wears on a belt under his clothes.

The device that Kahlil Hadley wears sends an alert to his mom’s phone if he wanders outside of a preset zone.

Hadley began wearing the device on Friday, and on Tuesday his mom received an urgent message from the boy’s school: remove the device or remove him. Cassandra Hadley refused, resulting in the suspension.
6-year-old with autism suspended from school because of GPS device - News in Arkansas

What jackoffs.

Why didn't you list the real reason?

What jackoffs.

Because then I would have put too much of the article in. Here: BECAUSE IT HAS LISTENING CAPABILITIES AS REPORTED IN A LETTER; HOWEVER, THE SCHOOL STATED SHE NEEDED TO GO THROUGH A PROCESS BUT REFUSED TO DO SO.

We good?

I don't care if it does have listening capabilities. How about the boy wanders off, gets lost and something happens to him and the school gets a lawsuit?

What jackoffs.

Because then I would have put too much of the article in. Here: BECAUSE IT HAS LISTENING CAPABILITIES AS REPORTED IN A LETTER; HOWEVER, THE SCHOOL STATED SHE NEEDED TO GO THROUGH A PROCESS BUT REFUSED TO DO SO.

We good?

I don't care if it does have listening capabilities. How about the boy wanders off, gets lost and something happens to him and the school gets a lawsuit?

You could have explained it. Also, there is a process for the approval which she ignored.

The article is designed to get everybody's bowels in an uproar by an inflammatory headline and then slips the truth in the article at the very end.

Schools are pretty good at keeping track of kids. I only lost one in 21 years and that's because he jumped out a window. We were on the ground floor. We got him back in a matter of minutes.

What jackoffs.

We good?

You could have explained it. Also, there is a process for the approval which she ignored.

The article is designed to get everybody's bowels in an uproar by an inflammatory headline and then slips the truth in the article at the very end.

Schools are pretty good at keeping track of kids. I only lost one in 21 years and that's because he jumped out a window. We were on the ground floor. We got him back in a matter of minutes.

Parents Say School Allowed 2 Children With Autism To Wander Away
ONLY ON 6: Kids wander away from school, faculty unaware
Autistic Kids At Risk Of Wandering: How To Keep Them Safe
Autism and Wandering Behavior: Tips for Schools

Mom called the news. That is why the article is written in the manner that it is.

It is an issue that has been ongoing.

What jackoffs.

We good?

Mom called the news. That is why the article is written in the manner that it is.

If that is the case, why didn't she get approval for the device? Mom being away from the school doesn't help if she is the only one to find him.

I also remember an article about a school that was using chips in the student's IDs to be able to locate them and all of the parents were pissed off!

Schools cannot win when dealing with helicopter parents and left-wing nut jobs.

What jackoffs.

We good?

If that is the case, hwy didn't she get approval for the device and allow the school to monitor his whereabouts. Mom being away from the school doesn't help if she is the only one to find them.

I also remember an article about a school that was using chips in the student's IDs to be able to locate them and all of the parents were pissed off!

What the school told the press and what was sent home in the letter was different.

This is an article on an autistic child that was prone to wondering off. You have to be a helicopter parent with an autistic child.

We good?

If that is the case, hwy didn't she get approval for the device and allow the school to monitor his whereabouts. Mom being away from the school doesn't help if she is the only one to find them.

What the school told the press and what was sent home in the letter was different.

This is an article on an autistic child that was prone to wondering off. You have to be a helicopter parent with an autistic child.

So, if it was not a GPS device, why would the child need it?

Yes, that is a helicopter parent. But the school takes responsibility of the child. If you can't relinquish that control, home school them!

The school was concerned that the parents might be able to listen to what was going on in the classroom if the device was mistakingly activated. What right do parents have to know what goes on in their kid's classroom?

We good?

Yes, that is a helicopter parent. But the school takes responsibility of the child. If you can't relinquish that control, home school them!

It is a GPS.

And should the child wonder off sue the bloody hell out of the school district.

It is a GPS.

Which would be better, taking a chance on the kid getting lost, or violating the privacy of every other student, teacher, or aide that he comes into contact with? You know those people can sue too!

It is a GPS.

Which would be better, taking a chance on the kid getting lost, or violating the privacy of every other student, teacher, or aide that he comes into contact with? You know those people can sue too!

Violating the privacy is a weak argument that is being made to get rid of it. The reality is that life happens. If you have a special needs child in a contained classroom there are more than likely several other students in that contained classroom with severe behavioral issues. Often those kids can be throwing tantrums that include kicking and biting etc. and it takes a split second for that child to walk away.

There are plenty of people in this country that recognize that schools will do everything that they can but, again, life happens. The parent's position is that this danger is immediate and all precautions have to be taken now. Instead of waiting for a few weeks for a small group of teachers in their twenties to sit down and tell you exactly what you told them and they have finally come around.

It is a GPS.

Violating the privacy is a weak argument that is being made to get rid of it. The reality is that life happens. If you have a special needs child in a contained classroom there are more than likely several other students in that contained classroom with severe behavioral issues. Often those kids can be throwing tantrums that include kicking and biting etc. and it takes a split second for that child to walk away.

There are plenty of people in this country that recognize that schools will do everything that they can but, again, life happens. The parent's position is that this danger is immediate and all precautions have to be taken now. Instead of waiting for a few weeks for a small group of teachers in their twenties to sit down and tell you exactly what you told them and they have finally come around.

Mom should homeschool if she can't set that helicopter down.

I keep reading about a lot of incidents lately involving kids with autism. Why aren't these kids in special education?

The listening device is illegal. It is illegal to record audio of someone (within range of the child) without their expressed consent. The school cannot break the law. The school has no choice. The parent CAN attach a GPS device to her child as long as it has no audio capability, but the parent would not choose a legal device. Why did the parent refuse to use a legal GPS device? Why would the parent run to media complaining that the school would not allow her to use an illegal listening device? It is certainly less hassle to follow the law.

It is a GPS.

Mom should homeschool if she can't set that helicopter down.

K

The listening device is illegal. It is illegal to record audio of someone (within range of the child) without their expressed consent. The school cannot break the law. The school has no choice. The parent CAN attach a GPS device to her child as long as it has no audio capability, but the parent would not choose a legal device. Why did the parent refuse to use a legal GPS device? Why would the parent run to media complaining that the school would not allow her to use an illegal listening device? It is certainly less hassle to follow the law.

They are allowing it with the understanding she does not turn it on while he is at school.

They are allowing it with the understanding she does not turn it on while he is at school.

Because she would be breaking the law if she did. GPS devices are dirt cheap. She could have just attached one to her child and avoided all the drama and fake outrage over not allowing illegal eavesdropping on innocent people. The school informed her of this and she ran to the media with half the story so she could play martyr.

Spy Mini GPS Tracking Finder Device Auto Car Pets Kids Motorcycle Tracker Track | eBay

Because she would be breaking the law if she did. GPS devices are dirt cheap. She could have just attached one to her child and avoided all the drama and fake outrage over not allowing illegal eavesdropping on innocent people. The school informed her of this and she ran to the media with half the story so she could play martyr.

Spy Mini GPS Tracking Finder Device Auto Car Pets Kids Motorcycle Tracker Track | eBay

The school provided one set of answers to the media and one to the mom.

It is a GPS device. He's 6. It's fake outrage to you.

Let that child wander from the school one time and slap 'em with a lawsuit so big lots of people can rethink this.

Forum List

Back