51 Hours Left to Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixie, Pixie, Pixie...Good grief, you are comparing making decisions on a messageboard with making decisions about life and death?

She must consider banning to be a form of death.

Xotoxi you can't resist an opportunity to attack my position huh? sad

Only because you brought it into the conversation and built it up to be all that and more.

I'm sure being an administrator at USMB has made you into a stronger, more well rounded person. Is it on your resume?

Are agenda? To let people die the way they want to is terrible?

That's just another way of saying "murder is terrible?"

ASSISTED suicide isn't suicide at all. It's murder. Get over it.

The death penalty is state sanctioned murder. I support that. Assisted suicide, as long as we ensure that the patient is of sound mind and knows exactly what they want, then it is non of our business.

As a Catholic, I couldn't choose that option because I believe that it's God's decision but I have not right to force my belief on others.

I used to support the death penalty, but don't anymore.

Because I cannot make it fit into my own Christianity. And yet I can support shows of force and war. It's a conundrum. But I know this to be true...depravity always follows decisions that reflect the concept that humans are expendible, and murder is okay if it's called something else.

Modbert, I did not take your words out of context, Dr Gump took mine out of context

Except you act like I'm saying don't judge in general, I'm not. I'm asking you to put aside your beliefs and look at the facts.

You're judging his intent based off the potential intent of others. Do you see the logic in that? I certainly don't.

How would you like it if someone judged the intent of your actions, whether it be on USMB or in life based off the intent of others who are reacting to your actions?

For example, you point out that smoking is bad but it should be someone's choice whether or not they should smoke and not the government's. In response, someone uses your post as an example of allowing 10 year old children to smoke. Even though you may not support such a thing, someone is your post as a basis to make that example.

That's what I'm trying to get across here.

Either you're smoking too much.....

or not enough.

Incoherence is amusing sometimes, but persistent babbling is just annoying.

Log back in as Terral and see if any of it makes more sense.

She must consider banning to be a form of death.

Only because you brought it into the conversation and built it up to be all that and more.

I'm sure being an administrator at USMB has made you into a stronger, more well rounded person. Is it on your resume?

It was an example of the decision making process dude, I used others. Stop and stay on topic, if you dare

You're an idiot.

There are no facts.

This is a position of opinion, not fact. Perhaps you can give me the facts on abortion, religion, or art?

I understand now why she is an Admin and you are not.

You seem defensive, angry, and jealous.

Jealous and defensive over what? There are facts here and facts in general. Some people are just choosing to ignore them because of their own beliefs.

If a painting is blue, there is no debate about whether it is or red or blue. If a religion believes in one God, there is no debate about whether there is a belief in multiple Gods.

Government would have a vested interest in making those decisions for others. We cannot allow government that door into our lives or deaths

I would agree if I thought that was the case.I don't.

My point is that I do not ever want that to be the case. They would have to kill me to "assist" my family member

If you had a family member that wanted assisted suicide, you would forbid them from doing it? And how would you do that?

(And please don't dismiss my question by saying "No one in my family would consider assisted suicide.")

I saw this thread on Facepunch and found it interesting, so now I'm sharing it. A man is going to commit suicide in 51 hours, well actually about 34 hours now, and he's online answering questions about his life, his disease, assisted suicide, and various other things, before he pulls the plug on himself.

The man, known as 'Lucidending' on Reddit is suffering from an incurable form of cancer and is in a lot of pain, and so he wants to just end his suffering now with dignity. He lives in Oregon, where it is legal to kill yourself under certain circumstances, and his doctor is setting things up so all he has to do is push a button and he'll be injected with drugs that will kill him.

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fy6yz/51_hours_left_to_live/

It is no one else's business. If this Man wants to end his life it is between him and his family. If it were me and I couldn't get a Dr. to help me I would paint the ceiling with my brains. No one would stop me from getting it done.

You're an idiot.

There are no facts.

This is a position of opinion, not fact. Perhaps you can give me the facts on abortion, religion, or art?

Jealous and defensive over what? There are facts here and facts in general. Some people are just choosing to ignore them because of their own beliefs.

If a painting is blue, there is no debate about whether it is or red or blue. If a religion believes in one God, there is no debate about whether there is a belief in multiple Gods.

What are you, 17?

How is a person's position on suicide based on "fact?"

Its an opinion.

And you seem to have a real problem if someone's opinion differs from yours.

He says he has no religious beliefs.

Bet that changes when he pushes that little button.

But I honestly don't care one way or the other. A lot of people I don't know die every day, the just don't all draw attention to themselves in the process.

He isn't special.

It was an example of the decision making process dude, I used others. Stop and stay on topic, if you dare

But how has your decision making process as an administrator at USMB...or for anything else in your life, helped you to come up with your judgement of this man's choice.

Your judgement is based SOLELY on your feelings of the issue...not based on any facts whatsoever. I have no problem with you (or anyone else) saying "I feel that it is wrong"...I have a problem with people stating "It IS wrong" as if it is a proven fact.

I would agree if I thought that was the case.I don't.

My point is that I do not ever want that to be the case. They would have to kill me to "assist" my family member

If you had a family member that wanted assisted suicide, you would forbid them from doing it? And how would you do that?

(And please don't dismiss my question by saying "No one in my family would consider assisted suicide.")

Someone in my family has and is considering the end of life issue. No I do not like it, but I can understand it, since I watch him suffer.

You're an idiot.

There are no facts.

What are you, 17?

Its an opinion.

But I honestly don't care one way or the other. A lot of people I don't know die every day, the just don't all draw attention to themselves in the process.

He isn't special.

Exactly

Someone in my family has and is considering the end of life issue. No I do not like it, but I can understand it, since I watch him suffer.

Sorry to hear about that.

By end of life issue, are you referring to deciding on stopping treatment and enrolling in hospice or palliative care, or are you talking about considering assisted suicide?

What are you, 17?

Its an opinion.

He isn't special.

This person has had multiple surgeries, has cancer, and it has spread to his brain. These are all facts. He has to have met certain qualifications to be allowed to kill himself under Oregon law. He has met those qualifications. These things are not up for debate. The ultimate question of whether one should commit suicide or not is certainly up to debate. However, the facts surrounding this man's case is not up to debate.

I have no problem if someone's opinion is different from me, especially if it's on an internet forum. If you didn't honestly care one way or another, you wouldn't of clicked on this thread in the first place, never mind replied to me. Nobody forced you to read this guy's story, if you don't like him posting about it, don't click on it. Really simple.

By end of life issue, are you referring to deciding on stopping treatment and enrolling in hospice or palliative care, or are you talking about considering assisted suicide?

Not assisted, he would not allow someone to carry that burden. You see he is thoughtful

Its an opinion.

It was made clear in an earlier post that a slippery slope argument lies at the heart of that particular opinion. Since the law in question isn't far from entering its third decade of being in effect, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to ask for some evidence that policy in Oregon has slipped down the slope since its initial enactment.

This person has had multiple surgeries, has cancer, and it has spread to his brain. These are all facts. He has to have met certain qualifications to be allowed to kill himself under Oregon law. He has met those qualifications. These things are not up for debate. The ultimate question of whether one should commit suicide or not is certainly up to debate. However, the facts surrounding this man's case is not up to debate.

I have no problem if someone's opinion is different from me, especially if it's on an internet forum. If you didn't honestly care one way or another, you wouldn't of clicked on this thread in the first place, never mind replied to me. Nobody forced you to read this guy's story, if you don't like him posting about it, don't click on it. Really simple.

Wow.

He's really unique, huh?

I'm a Christian.

Suicide is a sin.

This is not up for debate either.

When he pushes that button, his options are reduced to one, and though he isn't completely damned at that point, he'd better act fast.

Now.....

Tell me again how it isn't an opinion?

Not assisted, he would not allow someone to carry that burden. You see he is thoughtful

Either that, or he doesn't live in Oregon.

If he joins hospice, he will have lots of meds to keep him comfortable (depending on his issue). I would hope that you would support this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back