50% of Americans do not pay income tax?

Did this thread cleared up the statement about 50% of people not paying taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Still unclear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just another silly thread

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edjax1952

Aug 20, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
50% of Americans do not pay income tax.

I have been hearing this mantra from the media and politicians for several weeks now. I have not seen any statistical or logical explanation of this statement.

I am hoping that, in this post, I can wrap my head around this monumental claim. How is it that Congress has allowed a set of rules to evolve that facilitates half of the country not paying income tax?

What I suspect is that the real situation involves a few Orwellian idioms which imply that many of these people are not paying income tax when, in fact, they are.

Let me first explain the Orwellian idioms:

Tax credit: A person with children gets a “tax credit”. It is applied to the amount owed the IRS for income tax. For each child $1000 “credit” is added. If that person has three children and owes $1,000 his income tax owed becomes -$2,000 ……..(1000x3) – 1000 = 2000…….. If this were actually a “tax credit” he would owe nothing and he would not receive any refund as he had “credit” for the amount he owed. The IRS ends up paying the man $2000 dollars. This makes the “credit” not a credit at all but an endowment.

Paid income tax: If a person did not make a payment to the IRS in any given year, he did not “pay income tax”
Did he pay income tax that year?

My assumption is that in the statement of “50% of Americans do not pay income tax.” He is included in not paying income tax as he was not required to write a check to the IRS.

In fact he did “pay his income tax” for that year. The IRS elected to pay him (not give credit for) $1000/child and he had three children.

He paid $1000 and received $2000 balance.

Please let me know if I am correct in assuming that these people are included in the 50% tally.

If not, how is it that the Federal Government has gotten us to a point that only half of our citizens pay income tax.

3 years ago, I started doing my own taxes again, it's easy to do online now.

since then, I have gotten more back than I have put in every year.

so unless my tax credits or breaks are removed/lowered, I will continue to get more back.

I don't know if the 50% claim is true, but the claim that it does occur is very true.

so unless my tax credits or breaks are removed/lowered, I will continue to get more back.

I don't know if the 50% claim is true, but the claim that it does occur is very true.

That has never happened to me. But I have witnessed it.

My FUTURE DAUGHTER IN LAW PAID IN 800, GOT BACK 3000.

Same year my son paid in 1500, got back 2500.

I just get the shaft.

If not, how is it that the Federal Government has gotten us to a point that only half of our citizens pay income tax.

Historically there has always been a large (40% > ) number of Americans that do not pay income tax. Its because they don't have much INCOME. The bottom half of income earners have less than 2.5% of the nation's wealth. YOU CAN'T SQUEEZE BLOOD FROM A FUCKING STONE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT.

Hey did you know millions of Americans don't pay any property taxes, either? And people who don't drive cars don't pay the gasoline tax, how dare they!

Last edited:

Historically there has always been a large (40% > ) number of Americans that do not pay income tax. Its because they don't have much INCOME. The bottom half of income earners have less than 2.5% of the nation's wealth. YOU CAN'T SQUEEZE BLOOD FROM A FUCKING STONE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT.

Hey did you know millions of Americans don't pay any property taxes, either? And people who don't drive cars don't pay the gasoline tax, how dare they!

It should read almost 50% and the figure comes from the IRS

50% of Americans don't pay any property taxes! OMG!!!!

My comment did not include anything about property.

My comment had nothing to do with property. It centered on the thread OP. OMG

I asked

Hey did you know millions of Americans don't pay any property taxes, either?

and you replied

I didn't ask what % of Americans do not pay income tax. That's stated in the OP. I figured we had advanced from there. Shall you state that again?

I have been hearing this mantra from the media and politicians for several weeks now. I have not seen any statistical or logical explanation of this statement.

I am hoping that, in this post, I can wrap my head around this monumental claim. How is it that Congress has allowed a set of rules to evolve that facilitates half of the country not paying income tax?

What I suspect is that the real situation involves a few Orwellian idioms which imply that many of these people are not paying income tax when, in fact, they are.

Tax credit: A person with children gets a “tax credit”. It is applied to the amount owed the IRS for income tax. For each child $1000 “credit” is added. If that person has three children and owes $1,000 his income tax owed becomes -$2,000 ……..(1000x3) – 1000 = 2000…….. If this were actually a “tax credit” he would owe nothing and he would not receive any refund as he had “credit” for the amount he owed. The IRS ends up paying the man $2000 dollars. This makes the “credit” not a credit at all but an endowment.

Paid income tax: If a person did not make a payment to the IRS in any given year, he did not “pay income tax”

My assumption is that in the statement of “50% of Americans do not pay income tax.” He is included in not paying income tax as he was not required to write a check to the IRS.

In fact he did “pay his income tax” for that year. The IRS elected to pay him (not give credit for) $1000/child and he had three children.

Please let me know if I am correct in assuming that these people are included in the 50% tally.

HEY, I'VE GOT AN IDEA, WHEN THE ECONOMY IS BAD, LETS RAISE TAXES ON THE POOR AND CUT THEM FOR THE RICH!

That's pretty much what you're getting at. The fact so many Americans aren't paying net income tax is because the economy is shitty and they have less INCOME. Fucking DUH.

I asked

Hey did you know millions of Americans don't pay any property taxes, either?

and you replied

I didn't ask what % of Americans do not pay income tax. That's stated in the OP. I figured we had advanced from there. Shall you state that again?

My bad. Misfire The firing line is now clear.

So you're saying that you're part of the "mooching" class of society?

Are you saying you paid net income tax every tax year since you were 18? Let's see the proof.

How much unreported income do you have?

I remember,years ago when I made very little and filed my income tax with a tax amout of as little as $41. I paid $41 in income tax that year. I may have qualified for some of the endowmwnts ofered by the government and may have recieved a check that years. Regardless I paid $41 in income tax that year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36226444/ns/business-personal_finance/t/half-us-pays-no-federal-income-tax/
"The bottom 40 percent, on average, makes a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment."
Even if they "make a profit" the money they owe is deducted from that "profit" an thus they paid their taxes.
The problem is not with people not paying taxes. The problem is that the government elects to send them a check "because they are low income" that exceeds these taxes.

30-40k a year isn't exactly poverty, and it wasn't in the last 10 years. That's what I made, and I always got back more than I put in. Yes there are low income folks, but there are also alot more that make enough and still get money back.

What a putz.

30-40k a year isn't exactly poverty, and it wasn't in the last 10 years. That's what I made, and I always got back more than I put in. Yes there are low income folks, but there are also alot more that make enough and still get money back.

What a putz.

how many people do you support with that income?

HEY, I'VE GOT AN IDEA, WHEN THE ECONOMY IS BAD, LETS RAISE TAXES ON THE POOR AND CUT THEM FOR THE RICH!

That's pretty much what you're getting at. The fact so many Americans aren't paying net income tax is because the economy is shitty and they have less INCOME. Fucking DUH.

I've got an idea! Since our country is going broke, let's not send as many endowments out at income tax time. I do not say cut them off altogether, but I do say that the American people now expect endowments at tax time whether we go broke or not.

We need a fair flat tax in the US. No excuses, no exceptions and no loopholes. Having 50% of the people carry the other 50% is just downright unfair.

Are you saying you paid net income tax every tax year since you were 18? Let's see the proof.

I'm being sarcastic highlighting the ridiculousness of the claim that the "bottom 50%" of the country are moochers.

Forum List

Back