50,000 Students at Son's University. 26 Education Majors Graduated

Hey, all you perpetual b1tchers of "public education". Did you get that number? Did it settle in?

At my son's college graduation yesterday, TWENTY SIX students graduated with a degree in education. Enough to fill exactly ONE elementary school of decent size in the ENTIRE STATE.

And in case you ask: yes, it formally was known as a very good education school and no, no one is going into education anymore. So while you continue to whine and moan, congrats on being nothing more than 21st century armchair complainers like everyone else. You generally have no idea what's going on but have taken society down a few more pegs with your incessant complaints.

When former felons fill the classrooms now, look in the mirror.

MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. — According to a survey of Michigan school superintendents, more than half started the 2019-20 school year with unfilled teaching positions.

It left school administrators scrambling to find long-term subs to fill the classroom positions.

And the growing need for teachers isn't new for superintendents like Brian Davis, superintendent of Holland Public Schools.

Davis is concerned about a significant decline in the number of students in Michigan graduating from educator preparation programs.

In the 2003-04 school year, Michigan issued 9,664 new teaching certificates. The number dropped in 2017-18 to 3,819.

"That should be heightened cause for concern," Davis said.

Lakeshore educators say teacher shortage will be a challenge for years to come

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for

A High School Student looks at teacher salaries and lack of respect and decides on another profession

I humbly disagree. When I was in school, we were taught by nuns and religious brothers who didn't get paid crap. Yet, our performance was heads and shoulders above the students in the government schools where the teachers were paid a lot more.

You have to have the devotion to teach.

Further, school boards bar teachers from administering the "Board of Education" to the young people's behinds to bring home a point. As a result, kids run wild like they never did back in my day. As a result , teachers are getting their own asses kicked, students are shivving each other over lunch money, etc.
Corporal Punishment is not a skill we want to teach our students

A guy in another forum site, opened a topic. He was looking where he can be accepted as a doctor (master) in philosophy.

His topic had no replies for months.

In a lazy day I found his topic. I replied it. Philosophy is a subject not needed in workplaces like local swimming pools, carpentry shops, office business, government agencies, student counseling, etc.

I told him to study some extra months of pedagogy and become a teacher of... philosophy. Another choice is for him to write a book, he has credentials, a master in philosophy...

I have seen professionals who used their career for teaching. My school teacher of Anatomy class was indeed a doctor. He was a doctor and a high school teacher.

And he was good.

Teaching is noble career.

I congratulate you because your son's graduation. You didn't specify if your son graduated as a teacher, but congratulations.

Hey, all you perpetual b1tchers of "public education". Did you get that number? Did it settle in?

At my son's college graduation yesterday, TWENTY SIX students graduated with a degree in education. Enough to fill exactly ONE elementary school of decent size in the ENTIRE STATE.

And in case you ask: yes, it formally was known as a very good education school and no, no one is going into education anymore. So while you continue to whine and moan, congrats on being nothing more than 21st century armchair complainers like everyone else. You generally have no idea what's going on but have taken society down a few more pegs with your incessant complaints.

MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. — According to a survey of Michigan school superintendents, more than half started the 2019-20 school year with unfilled teaching positions.

It left school administrators scrambling to find long-term subs to fill the classroom positions.

And the growing need for teachers isn't new for superintendents like Brian Davis, superintendent of Holland Public Schools.

Davis is concerned about a significant decline in the number of students in Michigan graduating from educator preparation programs.

In the 2003-04 school year, Michigan issued 9,664 new teaching certificates. The number dropped in 2017-18 to 3,819.

A High School Student looks at teacher salaries and lack of respect and decides on another profession

I humbly disagree. When I was in school, we were taught by nuns and religious brothers who didn't get paid crap. Yet, our performance was heads and shoulders above the students in the government schools where the teachers were paid a lot more.

Further, school boards bar teachers from administering the "Board of Education" to the young people's behinds to bring home a point. As a result, kids run wild like they never did back in my day. As a result , teachers are getting their own asses kicked, students are shivving each other over lunch money, etc.

Corporal punishment is a well respected educational technique that has stood the test of time. If a kid is acting out, immediate correction will result in immediate learning.

Corporal punishment is a well respected educational technique that has stood the test of time. If a kid is acting out, immediate correction will result in immediate learning.
Corporal punishment is not even respected from parents

It was used extensively at my school back in the day, and we learned better than the disorderly Government schools.

Further, on a national basis, the Tremendous Republic of Singapore has an extensive system of caning, which has helped their nation maintain an almost unbelievable amount of order. Singapore is actually doing very well and has lifted themselves out of 3rd world standing.

It was used extensively at my school back in the day, and we learned better than the disorderly Government schools.

Further, on a national basis, the Tremendous Republic of Singapore has an extensive system of caning, which has helped their nation maintain an almost unbelievable amount of order. Singapore is actually doing very well and has lifted themselves out of 3rd world standing.
I am done reading your ridiculous responses

Crime rates in Singapore are among the lowest in the world, that's just a fact.

Especially street crime.

Maybe corporal punishment isn't the reason, but it is something they do differently than America- and the Singaporite people seem to be learning.

The "Education" major is scorned. The data about Ed majors having the lowest SAT scores of any major has had its impact. And an Education major is seen as a "generic" degree for which you don't have to master any particular subject.

That doesn't necessarily mean that young grads don't want to teach. I personally would rather have my son taught Chemistry or Math by someone with a DEGREE in Chemistry or Math, not just some modest number of credits. Same for History, English, or a foreign language.

What about hiring? Would a school district prefer grads with Education majors? I rather doubt it. I think QPA in the major teaching area would trump an Ed degree.

You think people with degrees in chemistry and math would necessarily make great teachers?

Sure.

Let's see how that works out.

Crime rates in Singapore are among the lowest in the world, that's just a fact.

Especially street crime.

Maybe corporal punishment isn't the reason, but it is something they do differently than America- and the Singaporite people seem to be learning.

So now we have an old guy saying let's bring back the paddle

Such great ideas on this thread. Maybe this weekend I'll compile them and we'll see what a superior brain trust we have here

The "Education" major is scorned. The data about Ed majors having the lowest SAT scores of any major has had its impact. And an Education major is seen as a "generic" degree for which you don't have to master any particular subject.

That doesn't necessarily mean that young grads don't want to teach. I personally would rather have my son taught Chemistry or Math by someone with a DEGREE in Chemistry or Math, not just some modest number of credits. Same for History, English, or a foreign language.

What about hiring? Would a school district prefer grads with Education majors? I rather doubt it. I think QPA in the major teaching area would trump an Ed degree.

You think people with degrees in chemistry and math would necessarily make great teachers?

Sure.

They make them professors

Sure.

I don't see why not.

When I was in high school, our Religion instructor was a priest who was very well versed in theology and really knew his shit.

Having teachers who know their subjects would seem like a good formula to convey the information to the students. Of course, if someone has a degree in Chemistry, you don't want them teaching math, and if someone has a degree in mathematics, you don't want them teaching Latin or literature.

I am considering taking the classes I need to get my teachers license. I am a political science major so would teach civics or history class etc...I don't care for kids in general but the benefits of all that time off and being paid is awesome. Plus being poor most of my life 35-40k starting out is FINE with me.

I am considering taking the classes I need to get my teachers license. I am a political science major so would teach civics or history class etc...I don't care for kids in general but the benefits of all that time off and being paid is awesome. Plus being poor most of my life 35-40k starting out is FINE with me.

On the small chance this is serious....

You won't last past your first three years

Oh I am serious and why wouldn't I? I mean I CAN keep my mouth shut but I just don't think I can spread propaganda to kids..

Sure.

I don't see why not.

When I was in high school, our Religion instructor was a priest who was very well versed in theology and really knew his shit.

Having teachers who know their subjects would seem like a good formula to convey the information to the students. Of course, if someone has a degree in Chemistry, you don't want them teaching math, and if someone has a degree in mathematics, you don't want them teaching Latin or literature.

I had a degree in history and was one of the top math teachers in my high school. I also taught social studies. I possessed all the classes to have a degree in math, but since it was at three different colleges, they would not give me a sheepskin.

I could also teach chemistry, physics, and computer science based on my other coursework. Just because you don't have a degree, you can pass the test and prove you know the materiel.

Where is he going to find a job starting at $35K a year? It would have to be in an area with a high cost of living!

Where is he going to find a job starting at $35K a year? It would have to be in an area with a high cost of living!
That's what my mother started out as a teacher and that was in South Carolina in a tiny town.

Sure.

I don't see why not.

Why not? I had a degree in history and taught math. In fact, in a large high school, I was the second best math teacher we had!

Forum List

Back