4th of July Project Gun!

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I called my LGS this morning to see if they were open and they asked if I wanted another Model 11 for cheap. They said they would take $125.00 for it so I drove over and bought it.

It was indeed ugly but sound other than a minor crack at the wrist. It was made in 1936.

Whoo-Hoo! 4th of July project gun! :banana:

I lopped the barrel off to 18.25", re-beaded it, fixed the crack, and gave it a general going over. I was going to refinish the wood but nah, to hell with it. I installed fore and aft sling swivel studs and called it done. ;)

o 002 (2).JPG

I took it down to my range and it ran just fine. :)

Nice project. I just picked this up yesterday at a garage sale. It was in pieces and they didn't know how to put it back together again. They wanted 200 for it so I didn't even try to negotiate. Just paid them their 200 asking price. Manufactured in 1918, so the slide is a replacement. The barrel is proper though. So, I will sell this slide and get a proper slide for it, and after everything is paid for I will be into this, properly, for around minus 300 bucks!
DSC_0001.JPG

Nice project. I just picked this up yesterday at a garage sale. It was in pieces and they didn't know how to put it back together again. They wanted 200 for it so I didn't even try to negotiate. Just paid them their 200 asking price. Manufactured in 1918, so the slide is a replacement. The barrel is proper though. So, I will sell this slide and get a proper slide for it, and after everything is paid for I will be into this, properly, for around minus 300 bucks!View attachment 666174
Is it a .mil replacement slide? If so I'd keep it as is. I don't see a rebuild marking so it might have been a armory replacement. The wear seems even too.

Is it a .mil replacement slide? If so I'd keep it as is. I don't see a rebuild marking so it might have been a armory replacement. The wear seems even too.

Yes, it is military, but it is not the correct one. 1918 vintage slides are relatively easy to find. This slide is for a 1913 to early 1914 vintage 1911. Much more difficult to find. Those guys are always looking for the proper time frame pieces so this will sell for over 1000 bucks. To get a good proper 1918 vintage slide I am lookin at around 550 or so.

Yes, it is military, but it is not the correct one. 1918 vintage slides are relatively easy to find. This slide is for a 1913 to early 1914 vintage 1911. Much more difficult to find. Those guys are always looking for the proper time frame pieces so this will sell for over 1000 bucks. To get a good proper 1918 vintage slide I am lookin at around 550 or so.
Meh, your weapon your rules.

What a class act you are.
Thank you. ;)

I get the profit angle....And he's right as far as the potential for monetary gain if maybe a bit optimistic.

I've parted out many a gun but have always found that on mil-surps a put together gun looks like, well, a put together gun.....At least the finish wear on that example is even by the looks of the pic.

I'd leave it as is but like I said, he bought it so his gun, his rules.

Thank you. ;)

I get the profit angle....And he's right as far as the potential for monetary gain if maybe a bit optimistic.

I've parted out many a gun but have always found that on mil-surps a put together gun looks like, well, a put together gun.....At least the finish wear on that example is even by the looks of the pic.

I'd leave it as is but like I said, he bought it so his gun, his rules.

It was most likely sold decades ago through the DCM. 1913 slides are considered uncommon. I am actually being conservative on the value. The collector world is very harsh on mismatched 1911's. So, if I want max value, I have to make it correct.

Fortunately, the slides are available, and, as this never went through the 1927 rebuild, the finish on them will be consistent.

Good luck "matching the hatch" then.....In my experience there is nothing "consistent" when it comes to 100+ year old finishes.

It's not that hard. I have done it multiple times.

Forum List

Back