47 Million Year Old Find..

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
‘Missing link’ primate likely to stir debate
Scientists announce 47 million-year-old find amid media hoopla

A discovery of a 47 million-year-old fossil primate that is said to be a human ancestor was announced Tuesday at a press conference in New York City.

Known as "Ida," the nearly complete transitional fossil is 20 times older than most fossils that provide evidence for human evolution.

It shows characteristics from the very primitive non-human evolutionary line (prosimians, such as lemurs), but is more related to the human evolutionary line (anthropoids, such as monkeys, apes and humans), said Norwegian paleontologist Jørn Hurum of the University of Oslo Natural History Museum.

‘Missing link’ likely to stir debate - LiveScience- msnbc.com

Just an interesting little fossil interest story. :)

Scientists have unveiled a 47-million-year-old fossilised skeleton of a monkey hailed as the missing link in human evolution.

special news conference in New York.

The discovery of the 95%-complete 'lemur monkey' - dubbed Ida - is described by experts as the "eighth wonder of the world".

They say its impact on the world of palaeontology will be "somewhat like an asteroid falling down to Earth".

Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and the then radical, outlandish ideas he came up with during his time aboard the Beagle.

Sir David Attenborough said Darwin "would have been thrilled" to have seen the fossil - and says it tells us who we are and where we came from

full article with photos:

Missing Link: Scientists In New York Unveil Fossil Of Lemur Monkey Hailed As Man's Earliest Ancestor | World News | Sky News

not looking good for that creationism theory

I merged your thread with Sarah's bones. -EZ

Scientists have unveiled a 47-million-year-old fossilised skeleton of a monkey hailed as the missing link in human evolution.

The discovery of the 95%-complete 'lemur monkey' - dubbed Ida - is described by experts as the "eighth wonder of the world".

They say its impact on the world of palaeontology will be "somewhat like an asteroid falling down to Earth".

Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and the then radical, outlandish ideas he came up with during his time aboard the Beagle.

Sir David Attenborough said Darwin "would have been thrilled" to have seen the fossil - and says it tells us who we are and where we came from

Missing Link: Scientists In New York Unveil Fossil Of Lemur Monkey Hailed As Man's Earliest Ancestor | World News | Sky News

unless god created the monkey....

hmmm so you think god created the monkey in his own image...did you just admit you worship a monkey?

i don't worship anything or anyone......

god created "man" in his own image....he also created everything else....if you believe in the teachings of the bible....

anyway for something to evolve it needs to be created first....by something or someone....

evolution is a natural course of nature....just like the last great ice age that reduced the human population....just like the people who survived the bubonic plague...they have something going for them....i thought you were a christian?

:lol:

of course.. he probably created neanderthals too.

evolution is a natural course of nature....just like the last great ice age that reduced the human population....just like the people who survived the bubonic plague...they have something going for them....i thought you were a christian?

nope.....for life to start it needs to be created.....things can not evolve from nothing....

47 million years old and they could actually get a picture of an almost complete form.

And they saw a broken wrist as well as being able to figure out that is what killed her.

Amazing..

47 million years old and they could actually get a picture of an almost complete form.

And they saw a broken wrist as well as being able to figure out that is what killed her.

Amazing..
I love that shit! I hope they do a special on the discovery channel or maybe they already have. I just saw it on my browser headlines. And to think there are people who do not believe in evolution.:cuckoo:

Amazing..
I love that shit! I hope they do a special on the discovery channel or maybe they already have. I just saw it on my browser headlines. And to think there are people who do not believe in evolution.:cuckoo:

I love it too. I know it's hard to dismiss evolution but I am also so interested in findings like the dead sea scrolls and the search for the arc of the covenant. There are actually people who dig trying to find stuff like that over in the middle east.

Remember all of the religious artifax that were destroyed and looted when we bombed the shit out of Iraq? I know they got some of it back but geezus..

I merged your thread with Sarah's bones. -EZ

no worries i didnt see sarah thread when i did mine...thanks for putting them together

Forum List

Back