3rd Largest Health Insurer Will Likely Pullout Of ACA

Single payer won't happen in our lifetimes. The logistics would be cold-war era russian to sort out.
No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

The medicare-type system requires hospitals to treat people for the most part at or below cost. You are bankrupting the system unless you are one of those folks who think spit on it and rub some dirt over and you'll be fine is acceptable healthcare.

False. I know, because I was in charge of contracting hospitals at one time, and us HMO's were contracted with hospitals for advantage plans at exactly the same rate as Medicare had contracted with hospitals.

Which was still less than the going rate. No matter how you cut it, it is still price control.

And -?

Medicare works. I'm covered by it, and it is as good as any coverage I have ever had, except for the RX doughnut hole. This country should simply extend medicare eligibility to all ages, and allow insurance companies to compete with it, like they do with Advantage plans.

BTW it only took 12 months to roll out Medicare from July 1965, when the law was signed.

Good Lord. Medicare works because it operates at a loss. There is a reason a lot of doctors limit the number of medicare patients they will take and won't touch medicaid patients. Medicare also works because depending on your hospital's contract, if you are going to be in their care for more than a few days, you might be shipped off to a long-term facility not even in your city.

...and yet, I live in an isolated community of 31,000 people, 85% of whom are retired and over 55, because all the HOA's are age restricted, and I have none of those problems....

Single payer won't happen in our lifetimes. The logistics would be cold-war era russian to sort out.
No, it would not. Sign every one up by year groups in a medicare-type system, force health corporations to bid for contacts, and role it out over ten years.

The medicare-type system requires hospitals to treat people for the most part at or below cost. You are bankrupting the system unless you are one of those folks who think spit on it and rub some dirt over and you'll be fine is acceptable healthcare.

False. I know, because I was in charge of contracting hospitals at one time, and us HMO's were contracted with hospitals for advantage plans at exactly the same rate as Medicare had contracted with hospitals.
One time isn't 2016

Doctors Face A Huge Medicare And Medicaid Pay Cut In 2015

...and yet, I have the choice of three different companies medicare advantage plans, or straight Medicare. having spent my career in health insurance, I can assure you that three major HMO's do not do business at a loss. They would pull out, first. In 2016, one new company started offering an advantage plan.

Drink you coffee, wash your face, then read what you posted, then read what I posted, and then reply more clearly. Please.

empty-grocery-shelves.jpg

Starkey's Progressive Mecca Venezuela where the government Forced food stores to stay stocked

Jake, with free enterprise, nobody, no government has to FORCE anyone to be competitive; the market take cares of that
And no one starves ever in a market society? You idiot.
Only when FDR was in charge
Eleven died of starvation during the Hoover years, none during those of FDR.

Millions died of starvation during the FDR Depression
But since it is your assertion, give us the proof. There is not any in America. Millions? That's enough to declare you senile and put you in a home.

Which was still less than the going rate. No matter how you cut it, it is still price control.

HMO's have been contracting with providers at less than the "going rate", since 1986. It is "cost shifting", and the hospitals charge people with no contracted rates at whatever the hell they want. This is why 2 aspirin in a hospital costs you $50 if you are not under a plan with a contracted rate. This goes on with or without any government health plan being involved. It has nothing to do with medicare, other than the fact that Medicare is at least smart enough to contract for the best rates, just like HMO's do.

One time isn't 2016

Doctors Face A Huge Medicare And Medicaid Pay Cut In 2015

...and yet, I have the choice of three different companies medicare advantage plans, or straight Medicare. having spent my career in health insurance, I can assure you that three major HMO's do not do business at a loss. They would pull out, first. In 2016, one new company started offering an advantage plan.

And they are pulling out

Medicare works. I'm covered by it, and it is as good as any coverage I have ever had, except for the RX doughnut hole. This country should simply extend medicare eligibility to all ages, and allow insurance companies to compete with it, like they do with Advantage plans.

BTW it only took 12 months to roll out Medicare from July 1965, when the law was signed.

Good Lord. Medicare works because it operates at a loss. There is a reason a lot of doctors limit the number of medicare patients they will take and won't touch medicaid patients. Medicare also works because depending on your hospital's contract, if you are going to be in their care for more than a few days, you might be shipped off to a long-term facility not even in your city.

...and yet, I live in an isolated community of 31,000 people, 85% of whom are retired and over 55, because all the HOA's are age restricted, and I have none of those problems....
....yet. Wait until you have a complex illness. If your hospital is not approved for long term patients, off you will go to a LTCH. Acute Care hospitals do not get paid to keep you but a fixed number of days, after which they get zero from Medicare. If it is a for-profit acute care hospital, they will lie about your condition if that is what it will take to get you out of there.

Dekster is talking about specific matters about which he has no specific knoweldge.

Dekster is talking about specific matters about which he has no specific knoweldge.

You have no idea what I have knowledge of. Refute it then. It should not be hard to see what medicare's policies are for LTCH and Acute Care hospitals. In the mean time, this about the time of day transports line up to transfer patients out of our local hospital to other facilities out of state.

....yet. Wait until you have a complex illness. If your hospital is not approved for long term patients, off you will go to a LTCH. Acute Care hospitals do not get paid to keep you but a fixed number of days, after which they get zero from Medicare. If it is a for-profit acute care hospital, they will lie about your condition if that is what it will take to get you out of there.

Dek, all my friends in this retirement community are on Medicare. I have had a 50 year career in health insurance,and many of my friends rely on me to guide them through heart attacks, cancer, and strokes providers. None of them have to go any further than 35 miles to a major hospital. A small hospital (which opened up less than a year ago, BTW) is only 8 miles away. There are two nursing homes and rehab centers within 5 miles, for when the hospital can no longer hold them, because there is no further treatment they can do. There is an urgent care center within 1/2 mile of my house, and a kidney dialysis center within walking distance of my house. Now, I am awfully sorry that you have bought in to all the Limbaugh terror rumor mongering, but the truth is that every one of these facilities accept Medicare patients. So does my doctor, who is also within walking distance. Medicare works.

You have no idea what I have knowledge of. Refute it then. It should not be hard to see what medicare's policies are for LTCH and Acute Care hospitals. In the mean time, this about the time of day transports line up to transfer patients out of our local hospital to other facilities out of state.
Your nonsense has been refuted. You just refuse to accept that you don't know about what you are talking.

Dek, all my friends in this retirement community are on Medicare. I have had a 50 year career in health insurance,and many of my friends rely on me to guide them through heart attacks, cancer, and strokes providers. None of them have to go any further than 35 miles to a major hospital. A small hospital (which opened up less than a year ago, BTW) is only 8 miles away. There are two nursing homes and rehab centers within 5 miles, for when the hospital can no longer hold them, because there is no further treatment they can do. There is an urgent care center within 1/2 mile of my house, and a kidney dialysis center within walking distance of my house. Now, I am awfully sorry that you have bought in to all the Linebaugh terror rumor mongering, but the truth is that every one of these facilities accept Medicare patients. So does my doctor, who is also within walking distance. Medicare works.

Well since you had years of experience in ancient laws and live in an area with lots of hospitals does not mean that everyone does. I am sure you know the billing code of leeching as well, and personally have done 6 surgeries just for the fun of it during your lunch hour.

Dek, all my friends in this retirement community are on Medicare. I have had a 50 year career in health insurance,and many of my friends rely on me to guide them through heart attacks, cancer, and strokes providers. None of them have to go any further than 35 miles to a major hospital. A small hospital (which opened up less than a year ago, BTW) is only 8 miles away. There are two nursing homes and rehab centers within 5 miles, for when the hospital can no longer hold them, because there is no further treatment they can do. There is an urgent care center within 1/2 mile of my house, and a kidney dialysis center within walking distance of my house. Now, I am awfully sorry that you have bought in to all the Linebaugh terror rumor mongering, but the truth is that every one of these facilities accept Medicare patients. So does my doctor, who is also within walking distance. Medicare works.

Well since you had years of experience in ancient laws and live in an area with lots of hospitals does not mean that everyone does. I am sure you know the billing code of leeching as well, and personally have done 6 surgeries just for the fun of it during your lunch hour.

dek, I don't mind if you want to get snarky, but this is my career, and I am insured by an HMO Advantage plan. I have been on Medicare advantage for years, and I know the ropes and the rules. I don't get my information second hand.

Your nonsense has been refuted. You just refuse to accept that you don't know about what you are talking.

You haven't said shit in 5K post except shit. It is not how life is. That 1 hospital a month is shutting down has not been refuted; that acute car facilities cannot be paid for LTC patients has not been refuted. Look at the medicare website. It will explain to you what a LTCH hospital is. I live in a city with exactly one hospital. The next closest hospital that is not a doc in the box is 63 miles away. The cost sharing provisions that may have existed 10 years ago when someone worked for an HMO answering phones have been eliminated to fund the PPACA which is why we are losing 1 hospital a month.

dek, I don't mind if you want to get snarky, but this is my career, and I am insured by an HMO Advantage plan. I have been on Medicare advantage for years, and I know the ropes and the rules. I don't get my information second hand.

If you have been on medicare for years then you have been retired for years and don't know shit about what goes on today in 2016 in hospitals. Your information is dated.

You haven't said shit in 5K post except shit. It is not how life is. That 1 hospital a month is shutting down has not been refuted; that acute car facilities cannot be paid for LTC patients has not been refuted. Look at the medicare website. It will explain to you what a LTCH hospital is. I live in a city with exactly one hospital. The next closest hospital that is not a doc in the box is 63 miles away. The cost sharing provisions that may have existed 10 years ago when someone worked for an HMO answering phones have been eliminated to fund the PPACA which is why we are losing 1 hospital a month.

Well, hell, Dek, I have not even seen you link your assertion that one hospital closes every month. i'm not about to refute your assertions that I do not even believe.

Well, hell, Dek, I have not even seen you link your assertion that one hospital closes every month. i'm not about to refute your assertions that I do not even believe.

Well it hasn't happened in your retirement village so it can't possibly be true:

Rural Hospitals Closing at Rate of 1 Per Month

Well it hasn't happened in your retirement village so it can't possibly be true:

Did you read the article or just grab the headline?

The reason those hospitals are closing is:

As we've reported before, 18 states have yet to expand Medicaid, the health insurance program for poor and working poor. The action (or lack thereof) of these 18 states has left 5 million Americans without access to health insurance. That is 5 million Americans who cannot pay when they show up at their local hospital, putting a direct strain on the hospital's bottom line.

Did you read the article or just grab the headline?

The reason those hospitals are closing is:

As we've reported before, 18 states have yet to expand Medicaid, the health insurance program for poor and working poor. The action (or lack thereof) of these 18 states has left 5 million Americans without access to health insurance. That is 5 million Americans who cannot pay when they show up at their local hospital, putting a direct strain on the hospital's bottom line.

Apparently you didn't read it. There is a nice little link in the second paragraph "At the same time, hospitals are managing tightening Medicare reimbursement rates." The thing you allege isn't happening becaise you once worked for an HMO which medicare skews remibursement rates in favor of. Now had you clicked on that link you would have seen an article talking about those according to you non-existent medicare cuts. And while this particular article did not discuss it, part of the problem is that EMTLA funding has been cut, funding that disproportionately hurts small hospitals as the service higher rates of poor people

"Since 1981, the federal government has helped pay for care hospitals give to patients who can't afford it, through a nationwide fund of $20 billion known as the Disproportionate Share Hospital program. The health care law already has been cutting the Medicare portion of these payments, and beginning in 2017, it is slated to do so with Medicaid as well, gradually cutting the entire Disproportionate Share Hospital fund in half." Safety-Net Hospitals Worry About Obamacare Cuts

But hey, since it didn't happen when you still worked and hasn't affected you, it does not exist.

Forum List

Back