38 years ago NYC subway shooting

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
On December 22, 1984, Bernhard Goetz (/ˈɡɛts/[2]) shot four young Black men on a New York City Subway train in Manhattan after they allegedly tried to rob him.[3][4][5][6] All four of the teenagers survived,

The Incident:
In the early afternoon of December 22, 1984, four young men from the Bronx—19-year-olds Barry Allen, Troy Canty, and Darrell Cabey, and 18-year-old James Ramseur—boarded a downtown 2 train (a Broadway–Seventh Avenue express). Canty would later testify that the teenagers were en route to rob a video arcade in Manhattan.[4] Bernhard Goetz boarded the train at the 14th Street station in Manhattan.[9] At the time, about fifteen to twenty other passengers were in a R22 subway car, the seventh car of the ten-car train.[10]: 23 [11]

Troy Canty approached Goetz, asked Goetz how he was,[12] and made some overture for money:[13] According to Canty, he said, "Can I have $5?"[14] According to Goetz, Canty said, "Give me five dollars" in a "normal tone" of voice.[4][15] Goetz subsequently pulled a handgun and fired five shots at the four, wounding them all. Cabey's spine was severed, resulting in brain damage and partial paralysis.

Judge Crane sentenced Goetz to 1-year incarceration and a $5,000 fine.[61] Goetz ultimately served 8 months,[65] receiving credit for good behavior.[66]

Comment:
I remember this NYC subway crime story well.
It was an international News sensation.
The Left-Wing Press portrayed the Robbers as the victims and the Robbery Victim as the villain.
Some things never change.
Goetz's gave the Muggers a .38 surprise.
I am calling it a case Self Defense.

BTW, there is a great 1967 movie called "The Incident" the plot was about NYC subway thugs terrorizing the passengers in a subway car.
It has a great cast and it's a riveting crime thriller.
Beau Bridges played an army veteran who was on the train who had enough of the Criminal's BS and he snaps.

Last edited:
There was a famous case where a judge ordered castration of a group of criminals in NY in the 80s. I don't know why I thought it was this case.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back