$36 Trillion for Clean Energy, IEA reports.

2 more stories describing the failure in spain

Total Failure: Debt-Ridden Spanish Solar Energy Company Files For Bankruptcy
Total Failure: Debt-Ridden Spanish Solar Energy Company Files For Bankruptcy

Sun sets on Spanish solar power dreams
Sun sets on Spanish solar power dreams

Published: 11 May 2014 09:22 GMT+02:00

"The sun could be yours," the Spanish government promised in 2007, encouraging citizens to invest in solar power. Many who now wish they could give it back.

Tens of thousands of indebted Spaniards have found themselves lumbered with fields full of expensive solar panels whose subsidies have been unexpectedly cut in the financial crisis.

"How do I feel? Completely fooled," said David Utiel, a 37-year-old teacher who invested in a solar plant, recalling the government's sunshine slogan

The Wikipedia article I posted discussed some of the problems in Spains alternative energy development. I see nothing in your links that wasn't discussed there and most of your sources are obviously biased rightwing blogs. Alternative energy still makes up a large percentage of Spain's energy production and is still increasing. That there will be bumps along the road when converting infrastructure at this scale is unavoidable. Suck it up. Perhaps I should post articles about every oil spill, blown out well and bankruptcy in the history of fossil fuel. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

The Wikipedia article I posted discussed some of the problems in Spains alternative energy development. I see nothing in your links that wasn't discussed there and most of your sources are obviously biased rightwing blogs. Alternative energy still makes up a large percentage of Spain's energy production and is still increasing. That there will be bumps along the road when converting infrastructure at this scale is unavoidable. Suck it up. Perhaps I should post articles about every oil spill, blown out well and bankruptcy in the history of fossil fuel. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Ha, ha, ha, cricket, the information is all accurate no matter where it is from.

The New York Times is a left wing rag, hardly a blog and hardly right wing, neither is the Canadian Free Press, and of course The Local es is from spain. Planet Save is obviously left wind environmental wackos, BBC is a right wing blog?

And Bloomberg? Right Wing Blog?

CFACT - ?? Never heard of it but I used it.

Stop these things?? Never heard of them, got proof they are right wing, or are you going to display more bigotry?

And of course the best one www.michigan.gov hardly right wing.

So you are wrong 7 out of 10 times?

New York Times April 2016........."renewable energy stumbling and bumbling towards the future":2up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/b...e-energy-stumbles-toward-the-future.html?_r=0

:coffee::coffee:

5% and growing daily. Soon to be 10%, then 20%, then 40%, you see how it goes. And then your laughing ass will be laughing out the other end.

Right.........just like you said 5 years ago everybody would be driving an electric car by now!!:funnyface::funnyface:

Hmmm............well maybe by the mid-22nd century but zero chance of renewable energy being more than 10% by the middle of the 21st century. Thinking otherwise? Pure fantasy. In fact, by 2040, most of the 10% number will be geothermal..........lmao..........solar and wind are growing, but at a snails pace!!!

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/China%20coal.gif.html][/URL]

>>India's graph displays similar growth btw:lol:<<

Coal and natural gas are going to dominate for the rest of this century.:rock::rock: Even the Obama administrations EIA concurs!!! Every reputable organization projects fossil fuel domination for decades from now......only green energy companies project these stoopid numbers embraced by the Disney crowd only.:gay:

Oh.......and by the middle of the century, wind and solar will be relics of a former era..........looked upon the way we look upon the CB radio now!!:rofl:

With Spain and Portugal I agree they are real big in green energy, here down south they have opened up a bunch of Bio mass company's, basically huge saw mills, turning trees into saw dust then pellets and shipping them to Europe.

PS......here is the bottom line............

Have you ever met a progressive that is concerned about "costs"?? I haven't.:up: Its never part of their equation in terms of public policy.........not sure any of these bozo's have EVER balanced a check book.:gay:

For the rest of the world, "costs" do matter.........which is exactly why fossil fuels will continue to dominate for decades.( see Germany's return to coal:badgrin:). Forgetting everything else..........putting the US coal industry out of business would "cost" over 2 million people their jobs. Not a factor to the AGW k00ks.......but quite a big factor to everybody else with reasoned judgment.:bye1:

The AGW k00ks keep talking about their green fantasies which don't at all conform with reality........lol........like the 1.5 trucks that are sold every year ( compared to 110,000 EV's ) are going out of style next year!!!:coffee:

With Spain and Portugal I agree they are real big in green energy, here down south they have opened up a bunch of Bio mass company's, basically huge saw mills, turning trees into saw dust then pellets and shipping them to Europe.

So govt is in the deforestation business because greens in EU have screwed up their grid but dont you dare have a wood burning stove

So govt is in the deforestation business because greens in EU have screwed up their grid but dont you dare have a wood burning stove
I think they are in the deforestation business because burning wood creates a lot of energy and it is something else they can add to the already weak portfolio of electricity producers called Renewable, Green, Energy. They got to add something to make it to their goal of stating 33% of the USA's power comes from Renewables, after all, Solar and Wind will never make that claim on their own.

Has anybody mentioned the cost of Solar and Wind, lately. This OP is old, I bet the cost is much more, today.

Photographer: Kimimasa Mayama
Wind and Solar Are Crushing Fossil Fuels

Record clean energy investment outpaces gas and coal 2 to 1.
by
Tom Randall
April 6, 2016, 2:00 AM PDT

Wind and solar have grown seemingly unstoppable.

While two years of crashing prices for oil, natural gas, and coal triggered dramatic downsizing in those industries, renewables have been thriving. Clean energy investment broke new records in 2015 and is now seeing twice as much global funding as fossil fuels.

One reason is that renewable energy is becoming ever cheaper to produce. Recent solar and wind auctions in Mexico and Morocco ended with winning bids from companies that promised to produce electricity at the cheapest rate, from any source, anywhere in the world, said Michael Liebreich, chairman of the advisory board for Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).

"We're in a low-cost-of-oil environment for the foreseeable future," Liebreich said during his keynote address at the BNEF Summit in New York on Tuesday. "Did that stop renewable energy investment? Not at all."

Here's what's shaping power markets, in six charts from BNEF:

Renewables are beating fossil fuels 2 to 1

800x-1.png

Looking very good for wind and solar

Wind and solar are our cheapest electricity sources – now what do we do?

Wind and Solar Costs Are Plummeting: Now What Do We Do?

by 3p Contributor on Monday, Jan 2nd, 2017 CLIMATE & ENVIRONMENT

SolarPanelsE356-Dupont.jpg

By Mike O’Boyle

For years, debates about how to reduce carbon emissions from electricity generation were framed as trade-offs: What is the cost premium we must pay for generating zero-carbon electricity compared to fossil fuels, and how can we minimize those costs?

Fortunately, the holidays came early this year for renewable energy: In investment company Lazard’s annual report on the levelized cost of energy (LCOE) for different electricity-generating technologies, renewables are now the cheapest available sources of electricity. This flips the question of clean-versus-cost on its head. And in 2017, we’ll be asking: How much can we save by accelerating the renewable energy transition?

The story from Lazard’s 10th annual report is clear. Rapid technology cost reductions mean wind and solar are now the cheapest form of generation in many places around the country, without federal subsidies like tax credits.

What does levelized cost of energy mean?
Lazard uses LCOE analysis to identify how much each unit of electricity (measured in megawatt-hours or MWh) costs to generate over the lifetime of any power plant. LCOE represents every cost component – capital expenditure to build, operations and maintenance, and fuel costs to run – spread out over the total megawatt-hours generated during the power plant’s lifetime.

Because different plants have different operating characteristics and cost components, LCOE allows us to fairly compare different technologies. Think of it as finally being able to evenly compare apples to oranges.

How wind and solar are winning the day
According to Lazard, wind costs have fallen 66 percent since 2009, from $140/MWh to $47/MWh.

2016_Wind-deployment-cost.png

Large-scale solar’s cost declines are even more dramatic, falling 85 percent since 2009 from more than $350/MWh to $55/MWh.

2016_Solar-deployment-cost.png

Wind and solar, winning all the way, and getting cheaper every day.

Solar and Wind: How Low Can They Go?

For the second year in a row, wind and solar accounted for roughly two-thirds of new U.S. generating capacity, while natural gas and nuclear made up most of the rest.

That’s because right now, in much of the United States, wind and solar are the cheapest form of power available, according to a new report from investment bank Lazard.

Analysts found that new solar and wind installations are cheaper than a new coal-fired power installation just about everywhere — even without subsidies. The cost of renewables continues to fall rapidly.

Solar and wind are getting really, really cheap.
Since just last year, the cost of utility-scale solar has dropped 10 percent, and the cost of residential solar dropped a whopping 26 percent — and that is coming after years of price declines. The cost of offshore wind declined by 22 percent since last year, though it still remains more expensive than onshore wind.

The Lazard report is just the latest chapter in the success story of renewable energy. Since 2009, the cost of solar has been cut nearly in half. The cost of wind has fallen by two-thirds. The precipitous drop in price is reminiscent of shrinking costs for personal computers. Wind and, particularly solar, have yet to level off. New technologies and cheaper materials will continue to drive down costs in the years ahead.

1*75pCVZqFXs0HehgOjdbQvQ.png

1*Qxx7YQevbMHqr-k0_lHEAg.png

LOL

Has anybody mentioned the cost of Solar and Wind, lately. This OP is old, I bet the cost is much more, today.

Photographer: Kimimasa Mayama

Record clean energy investment outpaces gas and coal 2 to 1.
by
Tom Randall
April 6, 2016, 2:00 AM PDT

Wind and solar have grown seemingly unstoppable.

While two years of crashing prices for oil, natural gas, and coal triggered dramatic downsizing in those industries, renewables have been thriving. Clean energy investment broke new records in 2015 and is now seeing twice as much global funding as fossil fuels.

One reason is that renewable energy is becoming ever cheaper to produce. Recent solar and wind auctions in Mexico and Morocco ended with winning bids from companies that promised to produce electricity at the cheapest rate, from any source, anywhere in the world, said Michael Liebreich, chairman of the advisory board for Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).

"We're in a low-cost-of-oil environment for the foreseeable future," Liebreich said during his keynote address at the BNEF Summit in New York on Tuesday. "Did that stop renewable energy investment? Not at all."

Here's what's shaping power markets, in six charts from BNEF:

Renewables are beating fossil fuels 2 to 1

800x-1.png

Looking very good for wind and solar

What does your bullshit chart even measure? There's no explanation of the vertical axis

This whole clean energy meme that the warmers have latched onto highlights a glaring logical disconnect....they believe that climate change is going to result in more extreme weather...more and bigger storms, weather on steroids....assuming that they are right..which they aren't...but assuming that they were....how well do you suppose wind and solar would hold up to extreme weather?

Forum List

Back