23% of Republicans Say they Won't Vote for Gingrich

It doesn't matter how enthusiastic Newt's voters are. What matters/mattered is how enthusiastic Obama's voters aren't/weren't.

The GOP has plenty of anti-Obama enthusiasm. That would get out the vote no matter who was at the top of the GOP ticket.

The Democrats did not have enthusiasm. A lot of their people would have stayed home. NOW they WILL have enthusiasm. A lot of people on the left who would have stayed home will now get out and vote for Obama because the hatred for Newt is so strong.

I personally think we could have gotten a lot of people from the middle who appreciate Romney's competence. I don't think those people in the middle who would have appreciated Romney's experience are going to switch to Newt.

So what you have for Newt is a solid hunk of the right. But you would have had them anyway because they were voting for "anybody but Obama".

You lose the middle.

And you fire up the left to vote against Newt in a way that Obama couldn't have achieved on his own.

And there is the fundamental difference.

Newt (and I) believe we can win head to head based on the common sense Conservative ideas.

Romney (and you evidently) believe you need to sneak in the backdoor...if you can seem innocuous enough, perhaps no one will notice you.

That was the GOP strategy in choosing Moderate McCain, and the base was so lethargic (myself included) that he needed Palin to fire get Republicans to the polls.

Moderate Romney will induce the same lackluster energy.

Romney just isn't an energizing leader.

He'd make a great vice president...he even kind of reminds me of wooden Al Gore.

You see, the problem with this strategy, is that Newt is NOT a conservative.

This "rah rah" stuff is stirring. But that won't make Newt conservative no matter how hard you want it to.

He was for the federal healthcare mandate from 1993 to 2009. He was only against it because Democrats embraced it in order to try to get Republicans on board.

And that's just one obvious piece of territory that Republicans will have to irrevocably cede to Obama if our nominee is Newt.

We are in deep ****.

And nominating a Massachusetts Moderate like Romney will have the same result as nominating RINO McCain.

Romney isn't comfortable with himself, Republicans aren't comfortable with him.

And there is the fundamental difference.

Newt (and I) believe we can win head to head based on the common sense Conservative ideas.

Romney (and you evidently) believe you need to sneak in the backdoor...if you can seem innocuous enough, perhaps no one will notice you.

That was the GOP strategy in choosing Moderate McCain, and the base was so lethargic (myself included) that he needed Palin to fire get Republicans to the polls.

Moderate Romney will induce the same lackluster energy.

Romney just isn't an energizing leader.

He'd make a great vice president...he even kind of reminds me of wooden Al Gore.

You see, the problem with this strategy, is that Newt is NOT a conservative.

This "rah rah" stuff is stirring. But that won't make Newt conservative no matter how hard you want it to.

He was for the federal healthcare mandate from 1993 to 2009. He was only against it because Democrats embraced it in order to try to get Republicans on board.

And that's just one obvious piece of territory that Republicans will have to irrevocably cede to Obama if our nominee is Newt.

We are in deep ****.

And nominating a Massachusetts Moderate like Romney will have the same result as nominating RINO McCain.

Romney isn't comfortable with himself, Republicans aren't comfortable with him.

Republicans will vote for Mitt plus some centrists and independents, none of which, other than hard core far right, will vote for Newt.

23% of the Republicans say they won't vote for Gingrich... Does that mean that 77% of the Republicans are going to vote for Newt?

23%?? That's good...so about 77% will, including some democrats that actually woke up and realized how screwed we are, and maybe another % of Libertarians will probably vote for him. I guess there's a very good chance Newt could win!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay this is kinda funny. No that does not mean 77% of Republicans will vote for Newt. It means that if Newt won the GOP nomination, about one fourth of the vote that were virtually guaranteed, would be lost because Newt is on the ticket. This would be bad for the GOP.
Additionally, Newt is so offensive to so many people, the GOP would galvanize the Dems, guaranteeing a high turn-out. He would also cost the GOP a LOT of women and virtually all minorities. Newt would also drive the overwhelming majority of Independents and Mods to the polls - not to vote for Obama but rather against Newt.

Newt on ticket = 90%+ chance of Obama re-election.

I'd say. It's 50/50 with Romney.

Three-quarters of the Republican women in my office today gagged - literally - at voting for Newt. Now, I only asked four, but hey! The response was like after the Tiger Woods story broke. The other didn't care.

Yeah I agree wiht you. Newt vs. Obama = re-election. Romney vs. Obama = dependent on what happens with the economy. If it continues trending positive, Obama wins. If it stagnates or trends downward, Romney wins.

The last poll I saw in Florida had Romney beating Obama by 6 in this state but Gingrich losing by 4.

I think the one thing we've seen is that polls are fickle. I was referring to polls that show Newt has pulled ahead of the Weird Mormon Robot.

And as I've said before, any poll on the general is sort of meaningless at this point. Since Obama beats EITHER one of them, they might as well all save their time and money.

I'd go by who has a record of winning elections.

Newt's 11-0.

Mitt's 1-3.

The last poll I saw in Florida had Romney beating Obama by 6 in this state but Gingrich losing by 4.

I think the one thing we've seen is that polls are fickle. I was referring to polls that show Newt has pulled ahead of the Weird Mormon Robot.

And as I've said before, any poll on the general is sort of meaningless at this point. Since Obama beats EITHER one of them, they might as well all save their time and money.

Newt's 11-0.

Mitt's 1-3.

Perry never lost an election either. ANd we see how that turned out.
Newt will play better to the GOP base. Despite the common wisdom, getting the basr to turn out is what wins elections. When the GOP runs as Dem-lite Democrats and independents figure they'll vote for the real thing. Look how much difference there was between McCain's positions and Obama's. None.
I'd feel better voting for Newt than Romney. Of course I'll vote for a yellow dog against Obama.

Republicans will vote for Mitt plus some centrists and independents, none of which, other than hard core far right, will vote for Newt.

Why would the "hard core right" vote for Newt? Gingrich is significantly to the left of Romney.

Not signficantly at all. But only the hard-core right will vote for Gingrich if he opposes Obama. Romney will attrack the Republican and centrist and some democratic voters.

But if you want a reactionary candidate, Uncensored, then neither of these guys are what you want.

Newt's 11-0.

Mitt's 1-3.

Newt will play better to the GOP base. Despite the common wisdom, getting the basr to turn out is what wins elections. When the GOP runs as Dem-lite Democrats and independents figure they'll vote for the real thing. Look how much difference there was between McCain's positions and Obama's. None.
I'd feel better voting for Newt than Romney. Of course I'll vote for a yellow dog against Obama.

Well, Perry was also slightly retarded... so he had that going for him.

I'll vote for Newt, I won't vote for Romney. Ever.

Newt's 11-0.

Mitt's 1-3.

he'll probably cry himself to sleep knowing he's lost the angry retard vote.

:lol:

Why would the "hard core right" vote for Newt? Gingrich is significantly to the left of Romney.

Not signficantly at all. But only the hard-core right will vote for Gingrich if he opposes Obama. Romney will attrack the Republican and centrist and some democratic voters.

But if you want a reactionary candidate, Uncensored, then neither of these guys are what you want.

Jokey, you're a Republican right? Can you explain to me why the party of 'family values' would prefer a candidate who doesn't know what 'family values' means over one who actually is an example of 'family values'?

Are Republicans stupid? Or just hypocrites?

Jokey, you're a Republican right? Can you explain to me why the party of 'family values' would prefer a candidate who doesn't know what 'family values' means over one who actually is an example of 'family values'?

Republicans, like Dems or Libertarians or Conservatives or Moon Worshippers or Whatever, are susceptible to substituting personal belief for responsibility to critically think.

In the case of the far right Christian evangelicals (or some Opus Dei type of Catholics, for that matter, whom I have know) are hypocritical in choosing a verbally abusive (check out his speech) candidate and significantly flawed individual as their candidate. If Judas came back and said "I am sorry and repent", and they thought he could win, many of them would line up for him.

The issue is that this group wants to win so badly that they have checked their wits and their morality at the cloakroom. They are the political equivalent of the Westboro Baptists.

He'll need tissues then.

Republicans, like Dems or Libertarians or Conservatives or Moon Worshippers or Whatever, are susceptible to substituting personal belief for responsibility to critically think.

In the case of the far right Christian evangelicals (or some Opus Dei type of Catholics, for that matter, whom I have know) are hypocritical in choosing a verbally abusive (check out his speech) candidate and significantly flawed individual as their candidate. If Judas came back and said "I am sorry and repent", and they thought he could win, many of them would line up for him.

The issue is that this group wants to win so badly that they have checked their wits and their morality at the cloakroom. They are the political equivalent of the Westboro Baptists.

The thing with this whole 'sorry' business is that one is expected to actually mean it and to do better. That's Gingrich's issue - he says 'sorry' like kids do.... to mean 'I'm sorry I got caught' and continue the same bad behavior. I fail to see why the hordes on the right are falling for this bullshit. Really, I just don't get it. Stupidity seems to be contagious in your party.

No, I'll just work very hard to make sure he loses the General.

Romney will lose. Bank on it.

And I'll be laughing when he does.

No, I'll just work very hard to make sure he loses the General.

Romney will lose. Bank on it.

And I'll be laughing when he does.
Obama appreciates your support.

Forum List

Back