2016 Arctic sea ice thread

Jelly Sandwhich? That still leaves the Antarctic which is growing

But speaking of the Arctic, which varies greatly all throughout history, here is nice study on ice thickness, which goes on to explain, there is not a lot of information available.
Ice thickness in the Northwest Passage - Haas - 2015 - Geophysical Research Letters - Wiley Online Library

The Antarctic is doing the same thing. Yes, it's "growing", it's growing in the sense that there's less ice there too.

There might not be details of how many times polar bears fart in the Arctic, however, like I said, what you've said (and which you seem to have decided to not talk about in this post) is not actually true.

You're making claims which are not based on logic.

You're saying that because the Arctic ice is spread over a larger space, that this somehow means that global warming isn't happening.

Would you like to change your view now?

April Temperature Anomalies - Global vs. Northern Hemisphere
These graphs are based on the April anomalies from the NASA GISS data:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts.csv
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/NH.Ts.csv

I chose to normalize my graphs to the average of 1880-1930 readings. I chose 1930 as the baseline cutoff point because that was just before the first step change is visible in the data.
  • The Northern Hemisphere (NH) has been consistently warmer than the global average.
  • In April 2016, the global anomaly relative to the chosen baseline was +1.8° C.
  • The Northern Hemisphere 2016 anomaly was half a degree higher than the global anomaly: +2.32° C above the baseline.
I looked at linear trends since 1965, which is when the temperatures really began to rise.
  • The world appears to be warming at about 0.2° C per decade, while the NH is warming at 0.3° C per decade.
  • The NH trend finishes in 2050 at +2.75° C
  • The global anomaly trend finishes at about +2.15° C

• The global anomaly in 2016 was 0.55° C higher than the 2010-2015 average.
  • The NH anomaly was 0.685° C higher than the preceding 5 year-average.
A note about El Nino:

There has been a lot of speculation about how much the recent El Nino has added to the recent temperature increase. On these graphs you can see that the 1998 El Nino caused quite a minor deviation. In 2016, the global temperature response to El Nino has been about 50% stronger than in 1998, but the NH response was only 10% stronger, compared to the anomaly one year earlier in 1997 and 2015.
I expect the temperature rise over the next year or two to moderate from the torrid pace of 2016, perhaps by a couple of tenths of a degree or so. In the other hand, it could be that 2016 marks another acceleration point, similar to what the world saw in 1965. We'll have to wait and see. While it's too early to declare a non-linear trend, but it seems to be a definite possibility.

It looks like some really bad times are coming.

Anomalies_zpsw5i41e0i.jpg

But speaking of the Arctic, which varies greatly all throughout history, here is nice study on ice thickness, which goes on to explain, there is not a lot of information available.
Ice thickness in the Northwest Passage - Haas - 2015 - Geophysical Research Letters - Wiley Online Library

The Antarctic is doing the same thing. Yes, it's "growing", it's growing in the sense that there's less ice there too.

There might not be details of how many times polar bears fart in the Arctic, however, like I said, what you've said (and which you seem to have decided to not talk about in this post) is not actually true.

You're saying that because the Arctic ice is spread over a larger space, that this somehow means that global warming isn't happening.

Nope, its getting thicker, I posted the story and the link, I can go back and get it.

Nope, its getting thicker, I posted the story and the link, I can go back and get it.

No, it isn't. Nothing you have said states it's getting thicker. Everything states that it's getting a larger surface area but less ice.

I still can't figure out how ice melts under 29 degrees F.

NASA: Rate of Antarctic ice loss triples in a decade

The melt rate of glaciers in west Antarctica has tripled in the past 10 years due in large part to global warming, according to a new study.

That surge means the glaciers lost a Mount Everest-sized amount of water every two years over the past 21 years, at roughly a mass of 91.5 billion tons per year, according to scientists at NASA and the University of California-Irvine.

"The mass loss of these glaciers is increasing at an amazing rate," study co-author and scientist Isabella Velicogna of University of California-Irvine and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in a statement.

There is one.

Ice sheet highs, lows and loss

In addition to showing the current highs and lows of the ice sheets, the study also highlights how much ice was lost between January 2011 and January 2014. Ice sheets gain mass through snowfall and lose it through melting and by glaciers that carry ice from the interior to the ocean.

It is important to assess how ice-sheet surface elevation and thickness across Greenland and Antarctica is changing to understand how they are contributing to sea-level rise.

Using an astonishing 200 million data points across Antarctica and 14.3 million across Greenland collected by CryoSat, the team were able to study how the ice sheets changed over the three years.

The resulting maps reveal that Greenland alone is reducing in volume by about 375 cubic kilometres a year.

Antarctic ice-sheet change
The two ice sheets combined are thinning at a rate of 500 cubic kilometres a year, the highest rate observed since altimetry satellite records began about 20 years ago.
Now how many more studies do you want links to?

Buddy boy, you can't figure out much of anything except new ways to lie. The temperatures have been well above freezing many times for much of the Arctic this year.

Buddy boy, you can't figure out much of anything except new ways to lie. The temperatures have been well above freezing many times for much of the Arctic this year.
well again, buddy boy, I had ice in my yard this year and it took temps over 60 degrees for two plus weeks to melt it all and it wasn't six feet deep. So I'm sure for those days above 32 some ice may be melting, but not six feet of it. And it is time for temps to go up since the sun is up longer now in the arctic. So what is unusual with that now?

Arctic Report Card

"Sea ice continues to be younger and thinner: in February and March 2015 there was twice as much first-year ice as there was 30 years ago."

"Air temperatures in all seasons between October 2014 and September 2015 exceeded 3°C above average over broad areas of the Arctic, while the annual average air temperature (+1.3°) over land was the highest since 1900."
Jeeeez, Ejakulatra, you have got to be about the dumbest damn retard on the forum.....and that is up against some really stiff competition from the other rightwingnut wackos.

Your article is almost two years old, fuckwit. The relatively unimportant fringe of sea ice around the continent of Antarctica, that shrinks to almost nothing every year in the Southern Hemisphere summer and then grows again every winter, is ACTUALLY below average, not setting "new record maximums".

Antarctic sea ice took a new course in 2015
Reuters
BY KAREN BRAUN
Jan 12, 2016
(excerpts)
The Antarctic ice sheet has stopped expanding for the first time in four years, and in fact, sea ice extent has dipped below average levels. At the start of 2015, Antarctic sea ice extent was at all-time high levels for the time of year since records began in 1979, extremely far above the long-term mean. Sea ice remained anomalously high until July, when rapid shrinking began (tmsnrt.rs/1OSKRg3). In August 2015, monthly sea ice extent fell below average levels for the first time since November 2011. For the duration of 2015, sea ice extent hovered very close to average levels. By Jan. 6, even though sea ice was only a sliver below 30-year averages for the date, it measured at the lowest relative levels in 10 years.

Oceans are known to be one of the main drivers of global climates, and since Southern Hemispheric oceans were record-warm from May through December last year, a quick retreat of sea ice might appear as the obvious consequence, but it may not be that simple. Yearly ocean temperature anomalies versus yearly Antarctic sea ice extent from 1979 to 2014 are positively correlated, although weakly. In other words, as oceans in the Southern Hemisphere warm, sea ice extent tends to grow as well, the exact opposite of what seems logical (tmsnrt.rs/1OSMDhm). Despite this relationship, it is still difficult to understand how Antarctic sea ice was able to maintain all-time high levels in 2013 and 2014, which until last year were the third-warmest and warmest years to date. There are some potential theories as to why Antarctic sea ice was able to persevere over the past few years despite the global warmth, such as impacts of the ozone hole and feedback loops due to the ice melt, but these theories stop short of explaining the sudden shift mid-last year.

The linkages among Antarctic sea ice, the surrounding atmosphere, and impacts for daily human life are much less understood than those in the Arctic, but one thing that is known is that melting of the Antarctic ice sheet would inevitably lead to a rise in ocean levels. If the entire Antarctic ice sheet were to melt, sea level would rise approximately 190 feet (58 meters), completely eliminating many major world cities, including several small countries.

buddy boy, over 60 degrees?

Jeeeez, Ejakulatra, you have got to be about the dumbest damn retard on the forum....
Your article is almost two years old, fuckwit.

Almost 2 years old, lets say 19 months old, and your article is speaking of when? 2015, that would be just 3 months later?

Excellent point cause 3 months makes all the difference in the Universe when one speaks of the Climate!

SoilingBlunder, a little premature to post once again.

but, but, but....

Scientists scrambling to track Arctic sea ice after key satellite sensor dies

"The outage has prevented the NSIDC from posting sea ice extent data since March 31."

Jeeeez, Ejakulatra, you have got to be about the dumbest damn retard on the forum....
Your article is almost two years old, fuckwit.
Reuters
Jan 12, 2016

Almost 2 years old, lets say 19 months old, and your article is speaking of when? 2015,
The article I posted, numbnuts, is dated Jan 12, 2016 and looks back at the entire year of 2015 from a perspective that is 15 months later than the article you cited.

Antarctic sea ice is below the average extent......not at a record high. Moron!

The article I posted, numbnuts, is dated Jan 12, 2016 and looks back at the entire year of 2015 from a perspective that is 15 months later than the article you cited.

Antarctic sea ice is below the average extent......not at a record high. Moron!
You went back to count! You are a joke, yep the entire year of 2015, which from October of 2014 is 3 months.

soiling blunder, your perspective on the climate is anywhere from 3 months to 15 months? I say that is weather. As far as extent goes in the Antarctic, the thin veneer of extent means nothing compared to the thickness, which is what I linked to.

You went off a little premature again, Soiling Blunder.

Cryosphere Today.........
seaice.recent.arctic.png

What?

N_stddev_timeseries.png

2016 ice extent is running well below the record low 2012 ice extent.....on its way to setting a new record low Arctic sea ice extent in September.
cryosphere bubba says otherwise. and that is the actual ice capturing data.
The graph I posted is from the National Snow and Ice Data Center....and it is quite accurate and can be verified by other Arctic science sites. Arctic sea ice is trending well below the 2012 line, which was a record low year, and it is headed for a new record-smashing low this year.

Forum List

Back